Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suggestions on using CLR
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eggman95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Suggestions on using CLR Reply with quote

Please bare with my ignorance, I've never had a need to clean surface rust until now.

I have a bit of surface run on inside of my bumpers, and a few parts on the body on my '65 beetle. I've been readings some posts and I see people cleaning up their paint jobs with CLR and it looking night and day difference.

What's the best way to use the stuff? Does it cause any damage to the paint or the chrome?

TIA
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used CLR to remove a very thin sheet of rust that is barely covering the bumpers of my Bus. My process was to apply the CLR directly to some Green Scotch Brite pads and some liberal rubbing action.
Please keep in mind that the rust was almost film-like, not a real rusty surface to begin with. The rust film came right off & revealed the original White paint of the bumpers.
Here's a photo of the bumpers prior to the CLR treatment-
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Of course using a Scotch Brite pad on a Chromed surface will scratch up the Chrome
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
eggman95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. The little bit of surface rust is on on the inside part of the bumpers. I just wanted to clean them up a bit.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my original paint door frame windows (the vent windows like yours) I have some rust. Do I use CLR full strength apply with a brush and rub gently with a rag and then rinse? If so how long can I leave it on before I damage that paint? I would also like to try it on the wheels.

RareAir wrote:
I've used CLR to remove a very thin sheet of rust that is barely covering the bumpers of my Bus. My process was to apply the CLR directly to some Green Scotch Brite pads and some liberal rubbing action.
Please keep in mind that the rust was almost film-like, not a real rusty surface to begin with. The rust film came right off & revealed the original White paint of the bumpers.
Here's a photo of the bumpers prior to the CLR treatment-

Of course using a Scotch Brite pad on a Chromed surface will scratch up the Chrome

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Suggestions on using CLR Reply with quote

CLR.....works quite well on very mild, thin rust......rust stains mainly.....like you find on paint and porcelain. Its not known to get rid of heavy rust that well or quickly without numerous applications.

It uses lactic acid and gluconic acid....both low solution strength so its fairly safe to use compared to many other products. It also has a wetting agent in it (lauramine oxide) that helps it break surface tension to get into surface texture better.

Its a little harder to rinse off so you have to rinse repeatedly until all surfafe sliminess snd foam is gone.
You may do better with a regular Ospho type product. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Suggestions on using CLR Reply with quote

I'm guessing this is the stuff Ospho

My question is will I have any trouble if I try my CLR first and if not successful rince with water and then purchase this Ospho? Also is Ospho used straight? Yes I will read the label but sometimes extra tips are useful.

This is the CLR I have and I see there are other CLR products so I am assuming this one is OK using straight with a natural bristle brush.

raygreenwood wrote:
CLR.....works quite well on very mild, thin rust......rust stains mainly.....like you find on paint and porcelain. Its not known to get rid of heavy rust that well or quickly without numerous applications.

It uses lactic acid and gluconic acid....both low solution strength so its fairly safe to use compared to many other products. It also has a wetting agent in it (lauramine oxide) that helps it break surface tension to get into surface texture better.

Its a little harder to rinse off so you have to rinse repeatedly until all surfafe sliminess snd foam is gone.
You may do better with a regular Ospho type product. Ray

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestions on using CLR Reply with quote

What about royal jelly?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Suggestions on using CLR Reply with quote

From my research here and in other car groups that I belong to, CLR and Oshpo are preferred and now another product called Prep & Etch along with grey 3M pads 5 parts water, one part prep etch as per UZI's SO42. He polished it with TR3 after a thorough rinse.

before:

after:

kawfee wrote:
What about royal jelly?

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Suggestions on using CLR Reply with quote

Now that's awesome. I was purely speaking about the chrome bumpers. I didn't realize people do the entire cars.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: