Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Univeral Case Oil cooler
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Jacobs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Univeral Case Oil cooler Reply with quote

I have univeral case that I am putting into my fastback and my oil cooler arrived on Friday. So today as I am going to install the oil cooler I discover that the stud in the case is the wrong diameter to fit in the cooler.
Has anyone ran into this before or has any ideas on fixing this issue? Also what should I use to plug the type one dipstick hole and should I use just a standard plug for the type oil sender?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Univeral Case Oil cooler Reply with quote

Bill Jacobs wrote:
I have univeral case that I am putting into my fastback and my oil cooler arrived on Friday. So today as I am going to install the oil cooler I discover that the stud in the case is the wrong diameter to fit in the cooler.
Has anyone ran into this before or has any ideas on fixing this issue? Also what should I use to plug the type one dipstick hole and should I use just a standard plug for the type oil sender?

Thanks

Yes, several here have run into it before (me, 3 times).

The "correct" way to fix this, is to use an 8mm to 6mm step stud. Or IF you can find an 8mm to 6mm threaded bushing, that would work too.

I have however drilled that boss out on a stock oil cooler, and used a slightly longer 8mm stud to replace the short one that came with the case.

I used a short 1/8th inch pipe plug to seal that hole. You can't use an oil pressure switch there, due to not being able to get the cooling tin back on.

You can either use a standard t-1 dip stick (to plug the hole), or find a plug that fits the inside of the tube tightly (VW actually made 1 back in the day, but I've never seen 1), or you can crimp the opening closed, and weld it shut (what I did, as I don't have any t-1's). I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Bill Jacobs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob,
I was worried about drilling the oil cooler as that may be the easiest way to go just did not want to cause leaking.

Do you happen to know the size bolts I need to for my rear hanger?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Jacobs wrote:
Thanks Bob,
I was worried about drilling the oil cooler as that may be the easiest way to go just did not want to cause leaking.

Do you happen to know the size bolts I need to for my rear hanger?

Thanks

No problem. If you look at the cooler, you'll see that boss isn't anywhere near the oil passages. The other 2 are though.

They should be 8 x 1.25 by 40mm (about 1 3/4 inches long) or something like that.
Edit; The parts book say M8 by 35, with a lock nut, 4 required.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: