Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

July 1957 Oval resto
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Byron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Sunday just past was the first opportunity we had to get to a local classic car show. We did take her out a few months back for a shakedown run and sadly one of the exhaust valves seized on no3 so we had to pull the motor and rebuild it.......

This was done last week with a new head and we renewed all the valve guides and checked tolerance on valves about 100 times before we put the motor back together and finally back in the car. Also I started to re make the Vacuum lines as ours was tatty so thought it would help improve the look a bit....

Also we ditched the whitewall idea as we felt they would be a bit overkill.

A few pics from Sunday...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRAVO!!!!!

The car looks amazing and a good move on ditching the whitewall idea, the car looks very European as it should.

Looks like the dash back cardboard and a trunk mat are all that's missing.

Here's what a RESTORED Oval window should look like, done 100% correctly and all original, great job you and your Father did, enjoy being a member in the Horizon Blue Club. Very Happy

Tom
USA RAM Protection/Export Overrider Bumpers - MPH Speedometer -
Sealed Beam Headlights and Bullet Front Turn Signals!
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave Byron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blauchen L331 wrote:
BRAVO!!!!!

The car looks amazing and a good move on ditching the whitewall idea, the car looks very European as it should.

Looks like the dash back cardboard and a trunk mat are all that's missing.

Here's what a RESTORED Oval window should look like, done 100% correctly and all original, great job you and your Father did, enjoy being a member in the Horizon Blue Club. Very Happy

Tom

Cheers Tom much appreciated, yes the trunk liner and wire cover are still missing sadly can't find one good enough to use and I'm not a massive fan of the repo ones. Hope to sort this soon. Might even make some!
Bruce Berman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Byron wrote:
Well Sunday just past was the first opportunity we had to get to a local classic car show. We did take her out a few months back for a shakedown run and sadly one of the exhaust valves seized on no3 so we had to pull the motor and rebuild it.......

This was done last week with a new head and we renewed all the valve guides and checked tolerance on valves about 100 times before we put the motor back together and finally back in the car. Also I started to re make the Vacuum lines as ours was tatty so thought it would help improve the look a bit....

A really beautiful job, Dave! Especially since you did most of the work yourself, and with great attention to detail, whilst preserving as much as possible the original factory as-built appearance of the car.

I have been following this thread since the beginning, and with a lot of interest. It is good to see the restoration effort is largely completed at this point.

Very well done, indeed.

Bruce
Factory original 1957 Type 1 Deluxe Sedan, with 13,000 miles. I purchased her from the estate of the original owner in 1978. Color: L324 Polar Silver, with light beige leatherette interior, dealer-installed Dehne fuel gauge and Motorola Volumatic radio.
Dave Byron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Berman wrote:
Dave Byron wrote:

A really beautiful job, Dave! Especially since you did most of the work yourself, and with great attention to detail, whilst preserving as much as possible the original factory as-built appearance of the car.

I have been following this thread since the beginning, and with a lot of interest. It is good to see the restoration effort is largely completed at this point.

Very well done, indeed.

Bruce

Cheers Bruce very kind of you to say and much appreciated. Im really quite proud of how its turned out and every effort was made to do as much as we possibly could ourselves. Few bits to do still but I guess there always is and there never really finished Very Happy
Last Triumph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Cool
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Byron wrote:
Bruce Berman wrote:
Dave Byron wrote:

Very well done, indeed.

Bruce

Cheers Bruce very kind of you to say and much appreciated. Im really quite proud of how its turned out and every effort was made to do as much as we possibly could ourselves. Few bits to do still but I guess there always is and there never really finished Very Happy

True so true......I don't think any car is ever finished. Smile

Lovely paint, JUST LOVE IT! <3

Tom
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave!

Anything new with the Austrian Beetle? Wink

Tom
Dave Byron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom not much is new at the moment. Had the spare wheel painted up to match the rest and got a matching spare tyre fitted. Also took it for an M.O.T which is the uk road safety test and it passed with flying colours. Guy was so impressed when he put it on the ramp he took a picture or two!.

Also had it four wheel optically aligned which is the best thing we ever did. It drives absolutely arrow straight with no wandering. easily the best Beetle I have ever driven...... Guy was nervous about doing it so I did it myself using there equipment. Think he was worried about marking the paint lol....

and finally it will hopefully be getting its picture taken in the next couple of weeks for a magazine feature which will be nice.
rud helsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Byron wrote:
Hi Tom not much is new at the moment. Had the spare wheel painted up to match the rest and got a matching spare tyre fitted. Also took it for an M.O.T which is the uk road safety test and it passed with flying colours. Guy was so impressed when he put it on the ramp he took a picture or two!.

Also had it four wheel optically aligned which is the best thing we ever did. It drives absolutely arrow straight with no wandering. easily the best Beetle I have ever driven...... Guy was nervous about doing it so I did it myself using there equipment. Think he was worried about marking the paint lol....

and finally it will hopefully be getting its picture taken in the next couple of weeks for a magazine feature which will be nice.

Which color did you use for the inner piece of the rim?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Byron wrote:

Beautiful Smile

You getting into VolksWorld Magazine? They were very nice people to work with, I hope to get in there again after Blauchen has red plaid seatcovers made, some touch up painting done, the original 36hp ABARTH muffler added and some electrical issues concerning the semaphores.

Those whitewall-less tires "pop" with the stock hubcaps/black centers and the silverwhite/ blue-grey wheel rim paint, your car has to be the BEST Modern Day restored L 331 car in recent history, really amazing work, more kudos again. Very Happy

Happy Driving now with the new M.O.T. congrats!

Tom
Dave Byron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blauchen L331 wrote:
Dave Byron wrote:

Beautiful Smile

You getting into VolksWorld Magazine? They were very nice people to work with, I hope to get in there again after Blauchen has red plaid seatcovers made, some touch up painting done, the original 36hp ABARTH muffler added and some electrical issues concerning the semaphores.

Those whitewall-less tires "pop" with the stock hubcaps/black centers and the silverwhite/ blue-grey wheel rim paint, your car has to be the BEST Modern Day restored L 331 car in recent history, really amazing work, more kudos again. Very Happy

Tom

Many thanks Tom, no hopefully Ultra VW. I tried putting the car in for the Volksworld show but they weren't interested so figured I wouldn't bother asking if they wanted to feature it, besides I prefer Ultra VW to Volksworld. I hope you secure a feature with them your car is very deserving and would make a good an interesting read. We were considering an Abarth ourselves, also have a Judson magneto coil but I think I prefer the original....
Dave Byron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rud helsen wrote:
Dave Byron wrote:

Colour is L82 Silberweiss, the modern Dupont mix I believe is N2 N1/61 although Glasurit do do it as well.
Hope that helps.
rud helsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Byron wrote:
rud helsen wrote:
Dave Byron wrote:

Colour is L82 Silberweiss, the modern Dupont mix I believe is N2 N1/61 although Glasurit do do it as well.
Hope that helps.

Did you paint it to match the original? Or is it just the color you prefered?

By the way superb car! 😉

Last edited by rud helsen on Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Byron wrote:
Blauchen L331 wrote:
Dave Byron wrote:

Beautiful Smile

Tom

Many thanks Tom, no hopefully Ultra VW. I tried putting the car in for the Volksworld show but they weren't interested so figured I wouldn't bother asking if they wanted to feature it, besides I prefer Ultra VW to Volksworld. I hope you secure a feature with them your car is very deserving and would make a good an interesting read. We were considering an Abarth ourselves, also have a Judson magneto coil but I think I prefer the original....

Oddly enough Blauchen's been in VW mag (twice) now, the female editor I think has a personal attraction to him, lol! <3
I don't think any American magazines even care about survivor cars really, so I'll continue talking to European magazines about features for him.

Yeah, took me 4 years to finally find a REAL ABARTH so I hope I can make it work and it performs even better than a stock muffler, I heard horror stories about the reproduction ones, not being worth a crap, so I tried to find a real one and finally see what all the hype's about a krazy muffler that sells for $800/$1,000+ when one even comes out on the market.....

TTYL,

Tom
Dave Byron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rud helsen wrote:
Dave Byron wrote:
rud helsen wrote:
Dave Byron wrote:

Hope that helps.

Did you paint it to match the original? Or is it just the color you prefered?

By the way superb car! 😉

We had a spare in OG paint and the colour was derived from a scan of that. As was the outer rim colour. To the best of my knowledge this is the correct paint code as used by VW. All our wheels are dated 7/57 but as the spare had seen the least amount of UV being under the hood we went with that. Plus looking at a couple of other OG Horizon blue cars it looked so close we went with it. Also the body colour was mixed from a scan of the rear side of the glove box door.
Dave Byron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well car had it's photo's done yesterday and should be hitting a copy of Ultra VW near you soon! Cant wait Cool
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like it. Looks good without the wire cover, like you're showing off. 😊 Only thing i see missing is horn block off.
Dave Byron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Magazine is out now so here are a few shots that were taken that day some that were included and some that were not......
Thanks to Paul Knight for the pictures...

Bruce Berman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Byron wrote:
Well the Magazine is out now so here are a few shots that were taken that day some that were included and some that were not......
Thanks to Paul Knight for the pictures...

Beautifully done car, Dave. Well worth the wait and effort you put into her, and I appreciate the fact that you made every attempt to maintain the as-built originality of the car.

Bruce
Factory original 1957 Type 1 Deluxe Sedan, with 13,000 miles. I purchased her from the estate of the original owner in 1978. Color: L324 Polar Silver, with light beige leatherette interior, dealer-installed Dehne fuel gauge and Motorola Volumatic radio.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: