Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoldWing Motor swap
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the engine rotate the correct direction? (sorry if this has been answered...)
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
Does the engine rotate the correct direction? (sorry if this has been answered...)
that dont matter ,just flip the ring gear..I have one of those old 215 aluminum v8 engines, weel sort of 2 of them- 1 block, the buick&olds heads were diferent& I have both.thought about doing one of them,butI have all this vw shit right hear so they just sit in the shed.
Aloha Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally saw a 215 Olds in a 510 when I was racing at Sears point back in the 80's.
I thought it was trick....and I had a 510 and I just so happen to have an F-85 that had been an enduro car.
I really wish I had that car today.
I only see 510's around here maybe once a year.
1200's are even more rare.

As far as the Wing engine swap goes...I am "molesting" the whole VW by chopping off the roof...so, if I need to do so adjusting in the engine bay, I will whip out the sawz-all.

I measured the engine on my wing and it seems more compact than the VW motor (a little longer).
I won't know untill I can actually lift it into place.
Worst case is that I can sell the parts and motor on craig's list if it doesn't work out.

I also told a guy down the street about what I was contemplating.
I sold him a LeGrand formula super v a couple of years ago that he auto-x's and now he is excited to maybe do the LeGrand....depending on costs.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or it would be nice in a 4 wheeler or golf cart!!and with it being liquid to air cooled a blower would be right at home on top.
Aloha Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I detect that Mark is a VW purest and would not be happy that I have butchered up a couple of dozen bugs making trikes, SCCA type Formula V's Baja Bugs and one of the first people in central California to shorten a 23 window bus by taking out the middle doors in 1974?
I guess that I need to "bug" the boss and get her to help me post another picture.
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniman82 wrote:
Buick aluminum V8's have been swapped into mid engine Crovairs, makes a nice light powerpack. I'd be interested to see if the Honda engine fit width-wise into an unmolested VW engine bay, would be an interesting swap.

Subi!.... just sayin'
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aloha Bob wrote:
Do I detect that Mark is a VW purest and would not be happy that I have butchered up a couple of dozen bugs making trikes, SCCA type Formula V's Baja Bugs and one of the first people in central California to shorten a 23 window bus by taking out the middle doors in 1974?
I guess that I need to "bug" the boss and get her to help me post another picture.
your detector is off and needs recalabrating very badly.I am a machinest,engine builder,racecar fabracator,fabricator,racer, dad, & a few other things.1 thing I dont like is trayler queens unless there going to the track.And I have no use for a stock vw unless it has 10 or more cylinders(wheel cylinders not included)I have a mutaint bug.skinys up front&19.5"x33"street /dirt track tires on the rear( off at the moment due to the cost of rubber,already been through 2 sets of rears, started to put them back on 2 weeks ago but it was just to hot to eff with it.)bugs are ok but trick is better.& I like power.and the pure vw part in my motors is 1 dist gear in 4 of my motors and 2 vw cases in 2 of them. so there isant any thing pure about it. I have butchered somany cars I cant remember,some to go to the scrap yard some for track only usage,some for street cars.
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Simon wrote:
miniman82 wrote:
Buick aluminum V8's have been swapped into mid engine Crovairs, makes a nice light powerpack. I'd be interested to see if the Honda engine fit width-wise into an unmolested VW engine bay, would be an interesting swap.

Subi!.... just sayin'

I thought about the flat six subi, but it wouldn't make any more power than the turbo 2.7 Corvair powerplant I already have. Plus, I don't have to hack the car.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniman82 wrote:
I thought about the flat six subi, but it wouldn't make any more power than the turbo 2.7 Corvair powerplant I already have. Plus, I don't have to hack the car.

But, throw a turbo to the watercooled engine and see what it comes up with .........
Cool
Aloha Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Mark.
I too was a race car builder.
I invented a 4 cylinder modified class that runs at Madera Speedway in central California.
The cars are a 4 cylinder rendition of an IMCA modified.
Built 17 cars before going to late model fiberglass bodied full size circle track trucks like you see in the NASCAR truck series. Built 11 of those before I lost the use of one of my eyes and had to stop welding.
In fact, Matt Crafton who drives the #88 truck asked me one night (before he wen to NASCAR trucks) to drive for us and I turned him down.
When I stopped counting (I was depressed because of my vision) we had 212 main event wins on our chassis' and 9 championships.
Of course, knowing that combined with having a dollar might afford you a cup of coffee at a 7/11.
Done drag racing, done road racing and even attempted to qualify for the Atlantic race at the Long Beach Grand Prix in 83. I still have parts of the car in rubber tubs in storage.
All of that, and I still don't know how to post pix.
So Mark, sounds like we are brothers. I will be the ugly one eyed one that the parents have to chain up in the back yard at night.
On to what I am supposed to be doing on this forum other than spraying testosterone everywhere.
I wanna a rat rod like everyone else might want ..."but" (as Dr. Phil would say) I want mine to be different.
I like certain challenges and having a reasonably sophisticated motor like the GL1800 bolted into beat up VW Rat Rod Roadster gets me all excited.
If and when I can get the Boss to put the pictures on her photo bucket thing and help me post here, you will notice that the car is covered in pop rivets.
Since I can't weld anymore (doctor) I am assembling the car using rivets.
Gonna call it a "Rivet Rat".
Hey, keeps me from hanging out in bars and chasing wild women...which is getting harder to do at my age.
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aloha Bob wrote:
Nice Mark.
I wanna a rat rod like everyone else might want ..."but" (as Dr. Phil would say) I want mine to be different...

Bob, you should have seen this late 1930's pickup at the Sacramento Bug-O-Rama a couple weeks ago. Unrestored, peeling faded green paint, with an air-cooled VW engine in it, dual weber carbs sticking out from under the bonnet! Real eye catching to say the least.

I was racing all day, so didn't get a very good look at it, just a look each my guys were towing me up to the staging lanes, towing past the car show. I wish I could have walked around and looked at it.

Anyone else see that truck?
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustBuggy wrote:
miniman82 wrote:

But, throw a turbo to the watercooled engine and see what it comes up with .........
Cool

Blown head gaskets?

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
vdubjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.....back to the goldwing........

LOL go oldschool.

then you can have a non-vw engine with a vw carb lol

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnt the trans undear the crank shaft in that eng? man to have a 10 speed vw!
Aloha Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the auction and stood around while my buyer buddy was bidding on an RV....
After almost 3 hours I found out that the Wing had not gone the 30 day lien period. That was a waste of time.
So, I need to wait till next week.
I am also still waiting on the Boss to keep her promise to put the pictures of the car on here. I might have to wait until she needs something and then I will remind her that she hasn't kept her promise. Women!
On a positive note, I dug thru a couple of rubber maid totes and found the adapter plate from my Eagle along with a cool fly wheel.
Is that really the trans on the bottom of the Wing motor?
Aloha Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got a wing and got it home last month.
It went for $825.
I got the bike about 1/3 taken apart and realized with all of the wiring mumbo jumbo and trying to make an adapter , I might be into it a lot more than I thought....and almost every thing is bolted to the motor.
(Don't say "Subie" please)
So, I took the adapter from the Eagle along wit a Ford block and stuck it in place....and finally said screw this.
The guy with the super v now has the motor down at his place and has it laying in the frame.
His wife is now giving him grief for wanting to ruin a perfectly good LeGrand.
In the mean time, I went ahead and did a quickie rebuild of a 1600 and stuffed that in.
I have been having fun restyling the body and haven't had a chance to get it drivable yet.
Which brings me to another question.
I have been reading about how important the engine tin is and why the seal needs to be in place.
So, how do the Baja cars and other cars like rat rods that have the engine bay cut off, stay cool?
I have had 3 Baja Bugs and never had a problem (that I know of)
Different aero?
I got a really nice fellow code named "Zozo" to help me post pix on the "Bastards" forum if you are interested.
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KXQzJXJOt8

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: