Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The 1972 Bus ~ Father-Son Project LOTS of PICTURES!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustbus wrote:
yeah the 411 engine has the general shape of the casting for the bus filler tube, but its not milled out, and there's no stud there.

so its not really worth it, i suspect you'd have to tear the engine right down and machine the case.

....'course, im sure theres some sketchy shortcut hack that would work.

i hadnt had time to look...but thanks for saving me the time...Laughing

i am looking at a rebuilt longblock for my bus from NWCR in kent, so once thats all up n running smoothly, ill take on dads bus motor next. for now, he will have to struggle a bit. selling the house is more important that new tires for moms car, so parts for the bus are an even further stretch. when he gets around to it, i think it will be our little conversion time. aba bottom end, 1.8 head, watercooled with belly rad mounted where the condensor is currently sitting. ....thats waaaay in the future though, when BOTH of us have a bit more time and spending cash (read: when house sells, and i am out of school and have a nicer paycheck once i graduate)

i may be doing carbs and some gaskets to fix oil leaks before tha tpoint though, so i will have some work for it hear soon. right now it runs fine, and ill be doing the exhaust yet again (right HEX is leaking internally, gonna tear it open) and then letting it go for a while. got to many projects!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Great thread Reply with quote

Great, inspiring thread. I wish i was half that motivated at age 20. Nice job, Stu. Keep it up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so went to canada again in sticky. Smile

mom n dad are useless for getting picks of any trip over 50 miles...so i guess its just me out here....all alone Crying or Very sad

oh well Smile

i will try and get pics up, but i didnt take many and my phone wont let me get the few i took.

I was on the side of the road all to often.

had a oil bottle fall into the fan (which sucked its screen a while back) and made me think i blew the motor two or three times.

had that oil from the oil bottle get all over the cylinder and heads....thats a LOT of smoke Shocked

found the left intake manifold loose Shocked

valve cover and oil breather tower gaskets are all leaking. finally took care of those today....and found the push rod tubes to be leaking.... Brick wall

i think im ready to pull this motor and drop the jetta motor into it. so ready to do it. as soon as we move it will happen.

found a vintage cooler, and a recovered red and black seat from a buddy for 20 each or so. the color theme is turning into a black n red interior, and red and white exterior. ironic, as two of my three sisters are Central WA students, therefor school colors Very Happy kinda sweet Smile

more to come!

206-841-7324
[email protected]
skid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh so it was you. I thought I recognized that bus. Wink
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skid wrote:
Ahh so it was you. I thought I recognized that bus. Wink

I WANTED TO MEET YOU AND MISSED YOU!!!! Sad

you need to come to a vw show in the states Wink

206-841-7324
[email protected]
skid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to go to the one in Seattle this year but Black Flag was playing that same day! I had to choose Black Flag haha.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skid wrote:
I was going to go to the one in Seattle this year but Black Flag was playing that same day! I had to choose Black Flag haha.

volksfest in yakima on sept 14th and 15th....its a campout AND a show....come to that Cool

206-841-7324
[email protected]
skid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
skid wrote:

volksfest in yakima on sept 14th and 15th....its a campout AND a show....come to that Cool

Maybe. But probably not gonna make that. My band is playing Rifflandia in Victoria that same weekend!
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skid wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
skid wrote:

Maybe. But probably not gonna make that. My band is playing Rifflandia in Victoria that same weekend!

bellingham bug blitz the following weekend?

206-841-7324
[email protected]
geopanoramic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SZF (Stu) thanks for the invite (different thread), I have friends in Yakima too, but I really will be in central Montana then - maybe even camping with my 75.

Just here to "post on this very important thread" :stay positive and continue with your strategies... I am putting new on exhaust studs etc, gas tank back in, bondo/red lead, and moving on to dual carbs & engine re-install.

Ours is a father son deal too, but I have been feeling much like the father & the son.... Razz

Hope to have the 72 driving locally by the mid fall.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geopanoramic wrote:
SZF (Stu) thanks for the invite (different thread), I have friends in Yakima too, but I really will be in central Montana then - maybe even camping with my 75.

Just here to "post on this very important thread" :stay positive and continue with your strategies... I am putting new on exhaust studs etc, gas tank back in, bondo/red lead, and moving on to dual carbs & engine re-install.

Ours is a father son deal too, but I have been feeling much like the father & the son.... Razz

Hope to have the 72 driving locally by the mid fall.

shoot. well, some other time soon then. Smile

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i got the oil leak narrowed down finally...Rolling Eyes

know how some of the T4 heads have a oil breather hole, about a 12mm hole? you didnt? well, now you do. i thought originally they were fan shroud oulets, as they blew air out at idle...

well, while installing my heads on my 78, i noted that the head i was installing had a pluged hole just above the valve cover. well, while fiddling around with the 72, i was reminded about those fan outlet. guess what?

they are oil ports...not air. go figure, when you cap those off (one on each head) then the motor stays dry when you go drive. after 400 miles, the top of the motor is still dry! looks like the valve cover gaskets are the last to sort out. ill be getting those taken car of as soon as time allows. but at least now its down to a at least 300 miles and no lack of oil yet! better than 6 quarts in less than 100 miles! Shocked

gonna try and focus on just my bus this winter and get it really solid for a trip to BAJA mexico if i can get the time off from work. fingers crossed, because that would be one hell of a new years trip Cool

206-841-7324
[email protected]
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha so youve been driving around with your head oil breather ports wide open? That sucks!

Thats a 411 engine right? I thought you had one. As those had higher compression they had that additional crankcase ventilation as well. I think thats what it was for anyhow. If i still had my 411 engine i would pipe those to the rest ofthe breather system...but i dont!
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustbus wrote:
Haha so youve been driving around with your head oil breather ports wide open? That sucks!

Thats a 411 engine right? I thought you had one. As those had higher compression they had that additional crankcase ventilation as well. I think thats what it was for anyhow. If i still had my 411 engine i would pipe those to the rest ofthe breather system...but i dont!

yeah...i was thinking about routing the breather hoses, but i wanted to keep things tidy and minimal at the moment, so less hoses.

must be nice to have a raby motor Razz

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for Christmas today dad got a set of H4 headlights, a set of Brazilian mirrors, they look like vanagon mirrors but bolt up to a bay window, and some tools for his emergency tool kit. Lookin sharp and driven daily. Smile

January 17th dads joining me camping so the pair of busses will be camping together for the first time Smile super excited for that!

206-841-7324
[email protected]
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
for Christmas today dad got a set of H4 headlights, a set of Brazilian mirrors, they look like vanagon mirrors but bolt up to a bay window, and some tools for his emergency tool kit. Lookin sharp and driven daily. Smile

January 17th dads joining me camping so the pair of busses will be camping together for the first time Smile super excited for that!

Make sure to take lots of pictures of the two buses on your adventure.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis4085 wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Make sure to take lots of pictures of the two buses on your adventure.

Got a windshield mount for my phone and bus today as a gift...ill be taking tons! Smile

206-841-7324
[email protected]
SixStringMadMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread came up as a search I did for leaking front calipers. Had a great time reading about your progress on the new bus project. Any updates? Smile
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a new distribulot with a working vacuum can, and hes running smoother than ever. got a new set of carbs with chokes and gotta pull the eninge for some leak repair, but otherwise still doing great. Very Happy

new set of tires and powdercoated wheels too i guess....i gotta get the pics up soon...

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so dads been busy at driving the bus...

hes making some new front door panels out of wood, same material throughout the rest of the bus. should look nice with finished door panels and speakers installed properly for once!

got his second battery wired in and its working fine, except he killed it with his radio somehow, and now its not charging up enough to hold a charge...so may have to rethink the charging setup and maybe the radio....hmm....

finally removed the front window tint off the front two doors windows...much nicer to drive now that you can see out the windows! Very Happy

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: