Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pros and Cons: Real vs Replica 356s
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you spoted black betty, thats awassom. I would like 2 of them, 1 for the daily driver & 1 that looks exzactly the same.......but a killer.
Black Betty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the compliments, guys! Wink

I'm very happy with the end result. The build of the car was one of 'trail and error' and lots of times it looked a lot like 'one step forward and 2 steps back'.

Because I wanted to build the car completely myself I had to do some things 2 or even 3 times before I got it right... Embarassed Parts I bought and thought would fit, didn't and parts I ordered overseas I never received. Furthermore I never overhauled an engine, so everything was new and it was quite a challenge to overhaul a type 4 engine with Riechert cooling system when you never ever have worked on any engine Rolling Eyes

Even the paintjob was done by myself and when you never sprayed a car that is a big challenge to get a smooth and perfect finish: even more so when you decide that the race stripes, the Mobiloil Pegasus and the race dots should be sprayed and not stickered...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The point I'm trying to make here is that yes, it's a fake but I'm proud of what I made. And yes: I tried to make a car that resembles an automotive icon, so what? It's done with passion and love for the make 'Porsche' so in my point of view there's nothing wrong with that...

In the fifties there were builders that used only Porsche parts to build their own 'Porsche' (like Glöckler, Abarth, Beutler and also Pupulidy and Devin that made 356 'inspired' polyester (race) cars and they also slapped the Porsche emblems on them).

It's in the spirit of Ferry Porsche himself who once said:“In the beginning, I looked around and could not find quite the car I dreamed of, so I decided to build it myself."
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well stated and I agree, thus the reason I have been lurking around.tired of my street bug&want a replica or two.possiably three!!!I wish I could still do it all my self, but I have finaly addmited to my self some of those skils I once posessd are now gone for ever.and the time I have left is limited,so I got to get this racecar sold&get an almost finished 356/550 or both.( yes I know there never truely finished)
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having now read through the entire thread, I wonder if some of the resistance to the replica / kit cars is, in part, because it puts the owners of factory cars in the position of having to defend their original cars to the "slightly washed masses" who make inquiries as to its authenticity? I don't own either, but I could imagine myself feeling slightly insulted that someone would ask if my $100k Speedster was real.... but then again, I bruise pretty easy! Embarassed
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad M wrote:
Having now read through the entire thread, I wonder if some of the resistance to the replica / kit cars is, in part, because it puts the owners of factory cars in the position of having to defend their original cars to the "slightly washed masses" who make inquiries as to its authenticity?

Several weeks ago I took my daughter to school and a teenage boy ran up to the car and asked, "Is it real?" I nodded, yes, and the look on his face was awe mixed with pure joy! I guess people with a tinge of insecurity might have problems with replicas/kits/tributes for the reason you mentioned, but I have difficulty imaging why. Each have their own advantages and disadvantages. A cool car is a cool car Very Happy
IG:j.stenner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
808OvalGreasemonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had girlfriends with both factory "originals"and "replicas" and let me tell you,when I got to see them,I was filled with the same awe & joy with either one! Laughing

Last edited by 808OvalGreasemonkey on Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt! It's all good Smile

My point specifically responded to the quote from Chad M, that people with "real" models might be troubled responding to people regarding the authenticity of their car. In my case, it's not a problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Unobtanium-inc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, you're in Gainesville?

I was there a couple of weeks ago dragging these heaps out of the sand.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! What part of Gainesville was that?

Looks like a nice little BMW 2002 in the background!
Unobtanium-inc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downtown, near the college, the 2002 is still there, as well as a Morgan.

Sorry I missed you, I always like to connect with people when I am on the road.

It was a pain getting the cars into the back of the truck, non-rolling and the like. Kind of like waking up a drunk roommate and trying to get him in a car, dead grumpy weight.

More pics here:

http://porsche356registry.org/356talk/1/32090.html?hilit=catch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, yeah, would have been nice to meet you! Was that behind GT Motorcars (Bob Sturm's)?
Unobtanium-inc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, Bob is a friend of mine, good guy that Bob.
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr 356 around these parts Smile Glad you saved a few! Let me know if you ever come back this way....
Unobtanium-inc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get him to tell you when he bought Speedster #1 for $600, I love that story!
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, heard that one before! And the one about the massive 356 graveyard that used to be here. Looks like you got the last of it!
Unobtanium-inc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He held onto a few, but most I grabbed this year and last year.

His ex-partner had the mother lode down in Micanopy. I did a story on it for the Registry mag, 3 Speedsters came out of that one!

jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first heard that story I thought it happened LOOONG ago. It sounded like one of those foggy, distant, myths. That cover is only 1 year before I moved here!

....anyway, need to get this back on topic. I guess another advantage of replicas is that if they ever end up in a salvage yard, their rate of deterioration will be much lower!
Unobtanium-inc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack-
They end up in boneyards too, they just get walked by.

I did pull a pretty awful 911E out of that place, though I should have left it behind, it was awful.

roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam,

You and Big John should write a book about your exploits with plenty of photo's. I reckon the market for that world wide would be be large Very Happy

Always enjoy your stories and I have this habit of always peering into barns over here. ( Many old ones ( 300 years old or so ) here are being more and more, turned into Barn conversions ( houses ! )

I do remember when I was a 'boy scout ' living in London the local church vicar asked a group of us to clear his rectory house loft. ( the money he paid was put into scout funds ) In the corner with a carpet over it was the earliest around 1910 as I remember motorcycle. How they got it up there I don't know, it was in fine condition when I saw it in 1953. We refused to try to remove it!! We just sat on the saddle and imagined we were riding it. Maybe its still there Question

Do you still get that wow feeling seeing for example 'Rudge hubs' It must be a great feeling seeing some of these cars.

Roy
Unobtanium-inc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy-
One of the best was driving up a slippery muddy mountain road in Appalachia, at the top of the mountain was a sea of VW's, but there were a few Porch's thrown in, a total of about 8, one that the widow described to me on the phone as "primitive". The primitive one was a 51 coupe, 10679. There is no better feeling (at least with clothes on) than rolling up on an un-touched find.
But there have been many more great ones since than. If you ever make it to my office, the walls are covered with the finds, as my friend Gerry McCarthy commented, a true "Rogue's Gallery".

Bet it was fun jumping on that cycle as a kid though!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: