Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pros and Cons: Real vs Replica 356s
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in gainsville&micanopy a few weeks ago, kinda gladd I didnt see it, my popup camper would be afu on the top now.but I would sure like to of had a coupe and poped a glass mold off of it, or atleast off the top to go on to a cabrollA. (witch I will have before I die, well thats the plan any way)(glass or steel I dont care, but glass dont rust )
Unobtanium-inc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wouldn't stumble across either of these spots, and the one in Micanopy I couldn't even tell you how to get there, last time I was there I just looked for landmarks and followed the dirt road that looked right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was camping there,pretty nice place to loose just about anything.
randybriscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Envemo Super 90 Restoration Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When I got my Envemo Super 90 (Late '80's) it was about the same price as a good 356. In fact, I found mine in a used car lot in Hermosa or Redondo Beach California, parked next to a couple of 356 A's. At the time I preferred the A's, and disrespectfully leaned up against what I thought was a late model "C". But the skin temp was wrong. That warm California sun was beating down, but that fiberglass body was noticeably cooler than it should have been. My reaction was electric, I knew even before looking what this car was! I had wanted an Envemo since I had read about them in VW Greats (or VW & Porsche?), Kit Car, Hot VW's etc. I remember they were more than twice the cost of my brand new, original US made GTI. And then they stopped making them, or whatever happened. Anyway, I was so excited to find one, never had a second thought. My friend drove it all the way to Chicago for me(bet that was a bitch). Love the 356 looks, needed more engine/transmission options without damaging an original car. And most importantly, wanted to drive year round in Chicago's difficult climate. Save the "real cars" for the collectors or car shows. The replicas, copies, recreations are for driving and having fun. So now I have a 356 (ENVEMO) with a very reliable 175 hp Engine, a Berg 5-Speed, and VW factory IRS/ball joint suspension.
MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool car, I would love to see more pics of it.

Just checked out your photos in the gallery. Is this where the car is now or is it finished?
Update - third pc. found!
Now just need the case halves.
1965 fenderless beetle
randybriscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Envemo Super 90 Reply with quote

Click on the Pic for more detail...Just started the restoration. It's been sitting around for years. Was working on a 930. Paint and "bag of door knobs" body work needed attention. I should start a blog in the Kit Cars section, but it's not really a kit car, more like a replicar. Brazil had some very strict import laws, so no factory Porsches for them, hence the Envemo. It's a 1982. I think it was like $24,000 new? Some one who can remember correct me if I'm wrong, or until I find the paper work. I'm the second owner, I'll post the original owners name when I find it. I think it was Greg something. I'm in the Chicago burbs.
upwardr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my Envemo, I love it. you get the best of both worlds,simple yet inexpensive.

The green one was also mine just sold it a month ago.

liked the Envemo better, open cars are fun.

MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep the resto/build thread here. I am looking forward to it.
Update - third pc. found!
Now just need the case halves.
1965 fenderless beetle
randybriscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Envemo Super 90 meets it's 3rd body shop. 3rd time's a charm, right? IT HAS BEGUN...again. Or, is this the end? No, it's the beginning (of the end?).
randybriscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ENVEMO chassis: Which is a new from the factory, then shortened, VW of Brazil, "Variant" floor pan.

This Chassis was modified by Whitehill Frame & Fabrication in Hart Michigan (this ain't SoCal) for VW IRS. The Berg 5-Speed modifications were done by me. I'm going to revisit "that whole thing" in the spring. As it turns out, the frame horns are a little bit different shape on the Variant, and the Berg mid cross mount may need more clearance. Also looking to weld all the chassis seems and add some kind of triangulated engine/trans support.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting "hump" on the tunnel forward of the gear shift mount. What is the purpose of the raised tunnel?
PumaGTe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The few times I saw a 356 I always wondered if it was a real one or not (I do not know the differences) That's really a con for the owners of real ones. They cost a fortune and the average guy does not see the difference.

Imagine, spend that much money on a car and people asking if it's an original or replica, can't think of many other expensive cars that face that problem. Not in Europe anyway.

I understand replica's are not accepted in the community, why would they?

But then again, it's not like someone build a Lamborghini Diablo on a Pontiac Fiero.... the beetle technique is very close to that of the Porsche... So it looks the real deal in so many ways...

My conclusion, an original 356 is way overpriced for what it is...
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PumaGTe wrote:
The few times I saw a 356 I always wondered if it was a real one or not (I do not know the differences) That's really a con for the owners of real ones. They cost a fortune and the average guy does not see the difference.

Imagine, spend that much money on a car and people asking if it's an original or replica, can't think of many other expensive cars that face that problem. Not in Europe anyway.

I understand replica's are not accepted in the community, why would they?

But then again, it's not like someone build a Lamborghini Diablo on a Pontiac Fiero.... the beetle technique is very close to that of the Porsche... So it looks the real deal in so many ways...

My conclusion, an original 356 is way overpriced for what it is...

The quickest way to tell a replica from an original is to see where the parking brake handle is. Between the seats = VW = replica. Obviously you can check to see if the body is fiberglass but I don't touch other people's cars without their permission.
As for acceptance, my experience is that the main issue is when the owner of a replica car tries to pass it off as an original. Otherwise, they're likely having a lot more fun than many 356 owners who are too afraid to take their cars on the road for whatever reason. There are probably some purist snobs out there that shun replica car owners but I try to avoid them anyway.
As for price, good point, but remember, it's all about supply and demand. Porsche made some 75000 356's of which maybe, maybe, half survive. Of those, far fewer were open cars and fewer of them survived. So, yeah, maybe they are overpriced but as long as people are putting the money up for them, how do you expect the marketplace to respond?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these days everybody uses plastic instead of money. so why not just use money to buy some fun plastic.and when it gets squished you smile & think gladd it was just plastic. mine is.
randybriscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CLICK on the PIC to Enlarge. Meanwhile, back at the body shop, work continues. The Envemo really is, the "Corvette" of Porsche's.
randybriscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the road kill view.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a nice glass mold off that would be sweet.....oops did I say that out loud??
oliver365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love the look of 356
mine may be plastic but fantastic Laughing
in only 5 years Ive saw 356s rocket in price Shocked
would love the real deal BUT without the worry Rolling Eyes
roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oliver,

Is the car that low because of what you have in the cases on the roof rack Wink They look very nice cars and you are so correct, drive them and never see the rust bubble you thought you had repaired for good.

I have watched the price rise for well over 40 years on 356. I have also seen the rise in restoration costs as well. Years ago we used scrap fridges to repair now its a different matter. Even after all these years rain, is still my biggest enemy.

But I am the same as you, I love the SHAPE have done since around 1956 when I first saw one near my school. If I had to choose now, with current prices, I would go plastic, and with a good one and I have seen really good ones, its hard from 5 feet away, to tell its not a 356 anyway.

Also I don't drive that fast and although my 'A' super keeps up with normal traffic it will never be as fast as my 3 series BMW which I tend just to think of as a daily runner. Bet your car is as fast as my 356 as well.

Enjoy your cars they look really great Very Happy ( just keep away from UK pot holes with that exhaust!!)

Roy
oliver365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roy
wow u got an A super Cool have you any pics on here / Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: