Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Finally purchased my first Vanagon....WOOHOO!!!!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KDI_CUSTOMS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Hey KDI, come join us on the first weekend in May. Very Happy http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...;start=220

I wouldnt mind doing something at Cuningham Falls if the van is up and running soon.

As for the motor I went to look at...... not what was advertised. It was not complete at all. Guess I'm back on the hunt.

Full interior services and sales of rare imported material.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
KDI_CUSTOMS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found another motor. Im heading out on Saturday to look at it. Lets hope this one is a good find. Guy said it has a leaky oil cooler but runs great. Its been parked since the leak started. I can run it to check it over and then he will pull it for me.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
KDI_CUSTOMS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked out the motor in the 98 Jetta today. It runs great and has 121k on it. Only issue is that the oil cooler leaks. I will fix or replace that once the engine is pulled.

The car is an automatic and my van is a manual. Im assuming that the ECU and ECU harness are no good to me since they will be looking for an auto trans and shift lock-out.

What else would I need from the Jetta for the swap? Coolant bottle? Radiator? Id like to have a list so I can tell the guy everything I need.

KDI_CUSTOMS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motor has been pulled for me. Im picking it up tomorrow. I have to pull the ECU, ECU harness, fuse box, cluster, overflow bottle and other misc myself. Got a hella good deal on it!! Thanks go out to Vanagon Nut for some advice on what I need for the swap. I will post pics as I move through the swap so it is documented for others. I hope this van moves along nicely with the I4 in it and gets me fair MPGs.

KDI_CUSTOMS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Picked this stuff up today.

Motor, ECU, Harness, Fuse block, Cluster, Air box and a bunch of other misc stuff.

nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDI_CUSTOMS wrote:
Checked out the motor in the 98 Jetta today. It runs great and has 121k on it. Only issue is that the oil cooler leaks. I will fix or replace that once the engine is pulled.

The car is an automatic and my van is a manual. Im assuming that the ECU and ECU harness are no good to me since they will be looking for an auto trans and shift lock-out.

What else would I need from the Jetta for the swap? Coolant bottle? Radiator? Id like to have a list so I can tell the guy everything I need.

I don't THINK it matters but you may want to take a look at the hiring harnesses from Nothing Leaves Stock. Those guys will be able to give the straight scoop on the auto ECU issue. It will throw a code but you'll be throwing codes already anyway (vss etc).

You'll have to fab a bracket for the expansion tank coolant bottle. The diesel one is used by guys running digifant or digifant/aba hybrid because the diesel hoses still work with the counterflow head. You'll be fabbing so why not use what you've got already.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
KDI_CUSTOMS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
KDI_CUSTOMS wrote:

I don't THINK it matters but you may want to take a look at the hiring harnesses from Nothing Leaves Stock. Those guys will be able to give the straight scoop on the auto ECU issue. It will throw a code but you'll be throwing codes already anyway (vss etc).

You'll have to fab a bracket for the expansion tank coolant bottle. The diesel one is used by guys running digifant or digifant/aba hybrid because the diesel hoses still work with the counterflow head. You'll be fabbing so why not use what you've got already.

I did some research on vortex about auto to manual swaps for MK3's. Seems like they use the stock auto harness and ecu and eliminate the tcu. I also spoke to my good friends at NGP (New German Performance) and they said the same thing, so I think Im good.

As for brackets, I can bend up some sheet metal with no issues. Im making a water tight box for the ecu so I can mount it in the engine bay area. My other option is to mount it somewhere in the rear of the van on the interior.

Things on my list for this project are a custom roof rack, custom ladder, custom bumpers with side steps, customs side bars, 70mm drop, custom interior with hidden stereo system (3 10s to start).

KDI_CUSTOMS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been extremely busy lately with ask kinda of stuff. I have the motor on an engine stand currently. Took the old oil pan and pump off and test fitted the diesel pan and pump. I started a parts list as well.

So far I need:
ABA windage tray
Oil cooler gasket
Timing belt kit
Diesel clutch kit
Intake manifold gasket

Can't wait too get this motor in the van!

KDI_CUSTOMS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a little headway on the motor for my Vanagon.

Got the motor on the stand and removed the oil pan. Cleaned up the gasket removed the ABA oil pump.
[img]
[/img]

ABA pump next to the Vanagon pump. This was previously installed on a 1.8 rabbit powered van so I think Im good.
[img]
[/img]

Installed the pump and the new windage tray.
[img]
[/img]

Timing belt getting ready to come off.
[img]
[/img]

New timing belt going on with old school tensioner.
[img]
[/img]

Water pump came off.
[img]
[/img]

New water pump installed.

Also put in a new oil cooler seal since the old one was leaking badly. I still have some stuff to put back together, but over all I am happy with my progress over the past 3 days. Only have an hour here and there after work.

KDI_CUSTOMS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered the diesel clutch kit from Busdepot.com last week. It finally made its way to my door. Got some flywheel bolts locally at World Impex. Hopefully I will be bolting up the clutch this weekend.

I cant wait to pull the old motor out and put this new lump in!!

Anyone know what size bolts hold the diesel bell housing to the trans?? I found the size for the housing to the block, just need to know the other end so I can get all my hardware together. I will search Ye Ole Bentley tonight if I get some time.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: