Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6v starter bushing removal
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tower9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: 6v starter bushing removal Reply with quote

having issues with starting and traced (so far) to the starter / solenoid. I have removed the starter and im trying to remove the bushing in the tranny housing. i am using a 1/2" x 13 tap as i have read on here, but cant get the bushing out. i have threaded the tap all the way till there is only enough sticking out past the housing to get a vice grip on. i cannot get the bushing to come out. (pull, wiggle, turn etc). Anyone have any ideas. Do i need to buy the 6v starter busing removal tool ive seen Sad. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
slownlow65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bushing should just spin out on the tap at least mine did. Try spraying some WD 40 on it .
BluzBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used a 9/16 Tap on mine (6volt) ....... came right out
Gnarlyleech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tapped mine out with a socket and a hammer. Then I tapped the new one in with the same socket and hammer.

My 1966 Beetle Project Thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=520182
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can sometimes be a little stubborn. Of course with the engine removed it is like a one minute job. Perhaps try a different size tap.
tower9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info, i was able to get it out by putting a t handle tap turner on it and cranking it down all the way till the bushing backed out. I must have misread or mixed up the posts i read on using the vice grips. Now let see if i can the starting issue solved... I believe i may have traced the issue to a hard start relay a previous owner put on. after pulling it off and taking a close look it appears to be the Bosch WR-1. It says on it that it is a 12v - 30amp relay (car is 6v)??? So im going to leave it removed and once i get the new starter and bushing installed see it that clears up the issue. Thanks again for the advice
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: