Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru EJ22 in the Flatback Bug...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't be a problem, the spare superbeetle tank I have has been sitting without gas for 25 years or so. That should be safe enough to weld on I imagine Very Happy

Follow my adventures in the GoWAND'RLoST bus on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/gowandrlost/
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great thread. Thanks for posting up all of your trials and tribulations. I like how you handled the issues with Raby. Very classy.

Looking forward to more posts. I hope to do a similar swap into my 70 frankencamper soon. I have been a VW and Soob driver for a couple of decades now, and a 2.2 in my 70 would be perfect.

Watching, waiting, and learning.....
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nepenthe88 wrote:
I hear ya. Getting the gas-tank out requires removing the drive axle and dropping the rear end. It's a fair bit of work (I just flipped the bloody car on it's side with the bobcat and had at it). That said, I can't imagine it's easy to find gas-tanks on CL or anything because of the difficulty in getting it out. You might be wise to prowl your local Subee dealer to see if they've replaced one lately. The dealers up here constantly have a stack of leaky gas-tanks out back near the dumpster which could serve as a suitable donor flange (this is the rust-belt however). OR...it is possible to cut the flange out from within the car thru the access port in the body. This would require a junkyard donor car, a battery powered sawzall, a quick removal of the rear seats and a prayer there's no significant buildup of fumes Confused

Fortunately due to our climate here rusty fuel tanks is unheard of, good in one way, bad in another Laughing

It is something I'll do eventually but not in a mad rush, my external pump and surge tank work beautifully and gives me extra fuel capacity, it just looks cluttered.
72on18's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read through your thread and can't wait to see more. An ej22 swap is in the plans for my car someday but a stock 1600 will do for now until the right deal on a donor comes along.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madness726
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

72on18's wrote:
I just read through your thread and can't wait to see more. A swap is in the plans for my car someday but a stock 1600 will do for now until the right deal on a donor comes along.

I personally think it is a better and somewhat cheaper method to do this project then replace a stock 1600.. in the long run... they can be purchased on CL for about 300... that is the vw 1600!. or find a donor for about 500 if you wait till it appears .. which they will if you have patience and do the swap... Best you will ever do!... Haha but remind U this is coming from someone who has yet to finish his swap but has ridin in a few now!
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madness726 wrote:
72on18's wrote:
I just read through your thread and can't wait to see more. A swap is in the plans for my car someday but a stock 1600 will do for now until the right deal on a donor comes along.

I personally think it is a better and somewhat cheaper method to do this project then replace a stock 1600.. in the long run... they can be purchased on CL for about 300... that is the vw 1600!. or find a donor for about 500 if you wait till it appears .. which they will if you have patience and do the swap... Best you will ever do!... Haha but remind U this is coming from someone who has yet to finish his swap but has ridin in a few now!

Haha! Oh, happy day! I just sold the transmission from the donor Sub for $200-- that's as much as I paid for the entire car, and I still have yet to scrap it (I'm guessing it'll be +/-$80 at minimum). Sooo...my current cost of the project is as follows:
+$200 for the donor subaru
+$10 for the oil filler neck
+$29 for wiring harness supplies
+$7 for the VSS sensor
+$681 for adapter/ clutch kit & hardware

-$15 for the remote start
-$200 for the Scooby Auto trans

.........= $712 total (and another $500 for the Flatback bug)

Now, in all fairness for the purposes of this little "experiment", I'm pretty sure I could get the stock 1600 in the Flatback bug up and running for pretty cheap. It definitely needs a $25 fuel pump & $10 worth of fuel line. I'd also probably spend $15 for a carb rebuild kit and another $25 for an engine gasket kit. That's a meager $75 bucks and is an excellent choice for the budget-minded "I just wanna drive the bug every now and again" crowd. Up against this kind of value and ease of "installation", a stock aircooled engine probably can't be beat. Anyone arguing FOR a vintage, bone stock aircooled engine has an excellent argument in their favor.

...but at that price you're only getting what, 57Hp? (and probably not even that) Stock EJ22 naturally aspirated starts at 135Hp. Anyone who's looking to increase displacement on that ol' aircooled engine (which is a good thing) is gonna have to drop a significant amount of cash. I know. I've done it Confused I had a 1915 built using as FEW cheap chinese crap components as I could. I have a list of all the doo-dads in that powerplant and an accurate cost for everything all assembled. When the Subee swap is closer to being complete, I'd like to pit these 2 engines against one another, comparing costs and factoring ease of installation, etc (aircooled engine wins that, hands down as I wrote above.)

What I'm still interested in finding out is whether or not it's possible to REBUILD a stock 1600 for cheaper than the scooby swap. Samba member Beetlebaum is currently having his stock DP 1600 rebuilt on a budget. If he would be willing to share his re-build specs / costs, I think that would make an excellent final test case to compare against a conversion.

Pitting the Subaru up against these 3 configurations of the aircooled engine will hopefully help others make more realistic (financial) decisions should they be considering a swap or rebuild... even if there is more to the story than just financial stuff

Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Joel-- I'd gladly give up the "free" gas tank for the Aussie "rust free guarantee" Very Happy

Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@cdennisg - mmmmmm, frankencamper Drool I'm kinda hoping the Flatback bug is versatile enough and satisfying enough to kill off my Westy Bus-Lust... otherwise you'll see an "EJ22 Frankencamper" thread of mine own one day Very Happy Glad to have you aboard!!

Worknclassbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm jumping in on this thread as well. I'm going down the same road with a '71 Ghia. I've gone about it in about the same way you have as well. My donor was a '94 Legacy wagon. Good luck with the build. I have my engine installed and now working on finishing wiring and building the cooling and fuel systems.
Huntington WV
Member of The Wagenfolks
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Glad to see new faces. Feel free to post some pics / give us some specifics on your plans. Unfortunately for me, I've had less free time than I expected this semester (ie, none), so I won't be back in the game till winter break, and even then it'll just be little stuff.

stevensj13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nepenthe88 wrote:
Great! Glad to see new faces. Feel free to post some pics / give us some specifics on your plans. Unfortunately for me, I've had less free time than I expected this semester (ie, none), so I won't be back in the game till winter break, and even then it'll just be little stuff.

Hows the car comin' along? Really like the way your posting in such details and the pics, I'm considering the swap for my 73 Super Beetle instead of building, say, a 2054 or something along those lines...
1973 Super (x2)
1971 Super
1968 bug on CJ 5 chassis w/ super swampers
1970 Baja
madness726
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevensj13 wrote:
Nepenthe88 wrote:

Hows the car comin' along? Really like the way your posting in such details and the pics, I'm considering the swap for my 73 Super Beetle instead of building, say, a 2054 or something along those lines...

Hey Steve, I am doing that swap currently... hit the link below to check it out... It is very slow going until this summer tho.
stevensj13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madness726 wrote:

Hey Steve, I am doing that swap currently... hit the link below to check it out... It is very slow going until this summer tho.

Thanks for the link, just read through your thread. doin good! The site you linked for who did your wiring harness isn't working. $215 bucks plus shipping is something I could do! I'm thinking of taking on this swap in my 73 Super Beetle.
1973 Super (x2)
1971 Super
1968 bug on CJ 5 chassis w/ super swampers
1970 Baja
madness726
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevensj13 wrote:
madness726 wrote:

Thanks for the link, just read through your thread. doin good! The site you linked for who did your wiring harness isn't working. $215 bucks plus shipping is something I could do! I'm thinking of taking on this swap in my 73 Super Beetle.

It Is a great price if you live in Australia.. That is where they are located.. The shipping cost to get the complete harness to them and to get it back is WAY to expensive. So I have yet to do the wiring harness. There is a Guy name tom shiels up in Canada that does a custom harness from the original one.. It costs about $650.. I still have not figured out which route I am going to go with the harness. Probably going to buy a stand alone ECU and harness, But I am always changing my mind.
imprttuner88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any holiday updates? I know the weather prob took away any chance of working on it, I'm just eagerly following this as I am very interested in going this route on my own '72

'05 Mazda RX8 "Weekend & Track Car"
'90 Mazda Miata "DP Autox car"
'01 Buick Park Ave "DD"
'91 Ford F150 "trash hauler"

NCSU Wolfpack, Red Sox, Steelers, Hurricanes and Knicks fan!
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imprttuner88 wrote:
any holiday updates?

sigh... School's kept me busy, so I only have one update.

I sold the transmission from the donor Subaru months ago for $200. Then, after the buyer had the thing for probably three months or so, I got a call from him complaining that I sold him a bad tranny?! As far as I know that transmission was perfectly good when I sold it. I mean, I drove the car before I tore it apart and I didn't hear or suspect any problems... and if I had any suspicions, I probably wouldn't have started the project! I mean, if the transmission's shot, chances are the engine was abused too, and all the time, effort and money I've put into the project just wouldn't have been worth it. Anyway, the guy decided he was going to take to small claims court for... $600 + expenses?! (personally, I think there's something wrong with his vehicle causing it to eat transmissions, if that's possible)

Look, I'm risk adverse. I'm busy doing rotations at the hospital and applying for REAL jobs. I don't want to take a day off work to go to court and fight over pennies. Most of all though, I don't want to have to stress out about any of it. I mean, VW's and subaru conversions and whatnot are my HOBBY, this is (theoretically) one of the ways I REDUCE stress. sooo... after a ridiculous conversation where he accused me of being a liar and a cheat, I wrote him a check for $350 and sent it off yesterday. ($200 for the transmission, $100 for install, and $50 for small claims filing fees).

It's an unfortunate situation that I'm chalking up to a learning experience... for me and for anyone reading. #1- always write "AS IS" on the receipt of anything you sell, and #2- if you start getting that feeling in your gut like something isn't right about the deal, LISTEN to those feelings. It'll save you some scratch in the long run.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gave him a receipt for a $200 used tranny? To me, that is a 30/30 warranty item. 30 seconds or 30 feet from where we stand, whichever comes first. Sorry to hear about the troubles, but as you said, lesson learned.
marziebar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing loving the thread so far. Keep up the good work!
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was asked to comment with information on my build, so here we go:

I sent my stock 1600 engine off to RIMCO this past summer for a longblock rebuild. The people were great, and, from what I've seen, the engine looks great! I haven't gotten to do anything with it, due to homework for school. It cost me $1515, and that includes a significant cost to get it shipped all the way across the country. They replaced the cylinders, pistons, heads, and whatever needed replacing, and they cleaned things up also. I definitely suggest them for their work and how well they kept me in the loop.

I hope this was a good comment! Laughing
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Beetlebaum!
...I asked him to tell us how much his stock rebuild cost so that we have some concrete numbers to compare the cost of the Subee swap to. That way people can make a more well informed decision as to whether or not they want to stay stock Aircooled, do a souped up aircooled or do a Subaru.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: