Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So I was adjusting my valves and....
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zach1779
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: So I was adjusting my valves and.... Reply with quote

Let me start by saying I'm no stranger to a wrench, but am new to engines. and even newer to aircooled.

I have a Scat 1915 w/ forged 4340 crank. Scat C25 cam. Dual Dellorto DRLA 40mm carbs. 009 distributer. External oil filter.
Or at least that's the recites the PO gave me when I purchased the mostly stock '67 street baja. It gets used as a daily driver.

Anyway, I was adjusting my valves to .005 as was recommended to me for the hot AZ summer. (please let me know if you disagree with the number)
So I found that the #1 cylinder (exhaust?) valve had a different adjustment mechanism than the rest of my valves, including the other valve for cylinder #1. It had an allen head rather than flathead, it also had a different 'endpiece'? that touched the valve spring on it compared to the rest of the valves.
Is this just some kind of mickey mouse nonsense? or should I just leave it be?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And then on the opposite side of the engine, the 'spacer'? that sits between the valves of 3 and 4 was very loose. So much so that I could wiggle it back and fourth with my finger.

Now when I got the bug, the PO said he had just 'build' the engine. He also seemed rather novice so I don't know how 'jerry rigged' things might be.
The same part on the #1/2 side had no movement. Is this something that can be adjusted? is it even a bad thing? or can it just chill like it is?

Please let me know if you need any other specifics to help me out. And thanks for your help

---Zach
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like he just had one bad adjuster and made it work with that missmatched one.

I would be checking that engine for end play.
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zach1779
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick reply.

so you think the adjuster is ok?

And I'll do a search for the term, but could you describe 'endplay'? like I said, i'm new to engines, and even newer to aircooled everything.
zach1779
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

while I'm at it, I might as well as a few other questions.

The PO put a oil temp and pressure gauge on the car. when hot, the pressure idols around 20psi, and hits 40-50 when on the freeway @ 3100rpm.

Also, I have yet to see the oil temp even hit 180.
I'm gonna take a guess and assume that this is the location of both sender units, if that makes any difference.

I've read about the 10psi per 1k-rpm. is my numbers off due to sensor location? or should I be worried about the health of my engine?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe OP sender is in the right place, but the OT sender is not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zach1779
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is witch? If I was gonna guess, the plug like thing on the end is the temp sender, while the 'doodad' with the large cylinder attachment is the pressure sender.

And where should the oil temp sender be relocated to??
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anywhere that has a flow of oil around it. The place in the picture isn't that bad if the temp sender was alone there and protruding slightly into the flowing oil.
The flow is important because stagnant oil will become cooler (or hotter depending on where it is) than the bulk of oil.
Right under the oil pickup would have good flow, but may put the sender at some risk of being damaged.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rocker arm adjuster is a "fix" for a problem only PO knows what went wrong... Probable ok for now, but probably should find a "match" to other adjusters....

The sleeve "spacer" on rocker shaft should have a little bit of end play, and can be adjusted by either shaving off some of the sleeve if it is too tight or adding shims if to loose...

The unit with the single push on connector is the temp sender and yes it is placed poorly as it is NOT in actual oil flow but off to side... It should be in head or in oil sump.... Where is it is bathed in up to temperature oil...

Round silver can unit is pressure switch and yes 20 psi is good at idle and 40+ is good at about 3500-4000 rpm...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The center spacer should have about .010 side play in it since it's a floating style on solid shafts you want about .005 - .007 side play in between the rockers and shaft of pedastal. Your oil tems and pressures are fine like Dale said.

Swivel foot adjusters have a bad habbit of falling apart so the PO probably just found one and stuck it in. If you know the size of the thead in the rocker arm, you can simply buy a set of adjusting screws and replace them, no need for new arms or anything.

brad
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea # 1 exhaust is the Elephant foot adjuster.....have a set on my Turbo 1776cc engine with hydro lifters. They work nicely but may need a spacer or two under the rocker arm support (2) studs.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like the elefant foot is being over stroked(too much lift for it) I would replase it with a ball type swivel foot like what is on the others.might want to check the geo also.(no not the chevy)
It's a play thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the adjusters are all the way out like that they cant swivel and they bind and sometimes break, you may need shims under the rocker shaft to get the clearance you need. and steel push rods "0" clearance, alum 4-6 .

I've been playing with my thing ever since I got it...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: