Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fuel pick up tube inside the gas tank
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flat in the back
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MidwestDrifter wrote:
Checking your fuel pressure can't hurt either. (when you are having this issue)

i should have done that in the first place.. you were right~
1989 Volkswagen Vanagon Bluestar: Flat in the back
Flat in the back
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i put another fuel regulator in there and kept the fuel gauge on to confirm it. it started and rev great. fuel pressure looked good w and wo vacuum. i shut off the engine to take the gauge off from the t and wanted to drive it around the block. shut the hatch, cleaned up and put my tools away, got in the car and it won't start. waited for about an hour and tried it again. it wanted to start, or did start a couple times. but now it fires right up but the rpm goes up and down like crazy between idle and about 2000, then drops and dies. kept trying thinking maybe the system just had to clear out the air gap but no luck. i'm totally bummed and disappointed.. now it seems like it's a total different problem and i really dunno what to do now.... can someone please help with some input..??
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you put the new FPR in properly. Input and output hoses in the right places?

Check your fuel pressure again, it can't hurt right?

Check your return line for blockage. Maybe a piece of the old FPRs diaphragm is stuck in the return? (should be able to blow through relatively easily)

Did you reconnect the vacuum line to the FPR?

Check over all the wires and hoses you disturbed. Its highly possible whatever you touched is causing this.
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
Flat in the back
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MidwestDrifter wrote:
Make sure you put the new FPR in properly. Input and output hoses in the right places?

Check your fuel pressure again, it can't hurt right?

Check your return line for blockage. Maybe a piece of the old FPRs diaphragm is stuck in the return? (should be able to blow through relatively easily)

Did you reconnect the vacuum line to the FPR?

Check over all the wires and hoses you disturbed. Its highly possible whatever you touched is causing this.

FPR was installed correctly. it's a good used one out of the perfect running 88 GL, and i didn't see any drips out of it. i also tested the pressure both w and wo vacuum and they all looked good.

but get this~ i was frustrated and disappointed, so i took an hour nap and went out to try it again. it fired right up and rev smoothly, so i took it out for a test drive. it drove ok, didn't seem to have any noticeable hesitations, and i took all uphill streets to put some load on it. as i got to the top of the hill i felt a big jerk from the engine, then i let go the gas and didn't stall. as i started to get going again, the engine started to hesitate violently. luckly i was able to just coast back down hill.. i tried to pop the clutch and restart the engine but it didn't really work. all i wanted to do at that time was to get back home, cuz i ain't gonna try to push this near 5000 lbs vehicle, and i had already used up one AAA tow so far.

back home in my driveway, i tried to start it again. it didn't even seem like as if it wanted to (like before i changed the FPR when i just gave a little gas to start it up). except i noticed after i tried to start it, while the key is still at the on position, i could hear the fuel pump buzzing. but it buzzes like crazy, almost the same pattern as that violent hesitation 5 minutes ago....

so!~ now this is a total different situation than just the fuel tank pick up, fuel pump, fuel filter or the FPR. this seems to be an electrical issue to me.. it could be the issue that started all this in the first place. maybe all i've been doing is just finding my way upstream to the root of the problem??

crap! looks like i'm back to square one!~
Flat in the back
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, the van started right up first thing in the morning. idle and rev smooth. i let it idle and walked away to see what would happen, came back 15 minutes later and it was shut off and won't start again like yesterday after my test drive. i looked for the multi buzzing sound from the fuel pump and didn't seem to happen this time. i let it cool down and went back to try it again about 30 min. after, it fired right up for a second, then shut right off and same repeated a few times. i've been searching on the forum and looks like this now might be the coolant temperature sensor. so i'm gathering now that this has been a combination of fuel pump, fuel regulator and coolant temp sensor issue..? (seems like when it rain it pours with the vanagons..) i don't even know what this sensor looks like or where's located at. called the auto part they said if it's the right one, then it's 20 bucks. i'm going to follow the testing procedure (looks like you have to test it from the ecu connection?) to confirm it. heck, i might just go pick up this part before they close and have it anyway.

does anyone have any input on this..? please help, thank you.
Flat in the back
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***UPDATE ON MY UPDATED UPDATE**** so after a huge disappointment of still being the same way after a new temp2 sensor, someone had reminded me about the bad hall sensor in the distributor. i swapped out the distributor with my white 88, and sure enough the white 88 started to buck and stall when it warms up. then the 89 bluestar just kept idling fine for over an hour. drop it around the block and so far so good. i'm gonna just drive it around town for the rest of the day to day and see..
Racerrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A year and a half later and a different van, I'm having the same problems that "Flat in the back" was having. I m sure is inside the tank.
The van will run fine and then acts like is out of fuel. I pulled the line out from the tank to the FP and I barely get some drips (I have over half a tank of fuel in there)
I to dread the tank replacement, even after doing a couple of them. Sad
Hey "flat in the Back" Any updates on your ordeal?

Too many vans and mostly all projects Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same issues, removed my tank and cut it open to verify problem. This is what I found, plastic tube had separated from the outlet nipple (although not as badly as shown)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

More detail and pic here
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greggearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump for an old thread, as this is my problem as well.

I noticed it wouldn't start when parked on a slight incline, lower on the drivers side, so the pickup was higher. Over 1/2 tank. Put in 4 gal of gas, started right up.

When driving, it would buck and hesitate if I was nose-down at a stop sign/light for any length of time, or if I took a moderate length right hand turn (think off ramp, etc). Even with 3/4 tank and a 65mph 180 degree off ramp, it started missing and bucking afterwards for a bit.

I was able to help it 'limp' around the problem and not need a tow by sloshing the fuel with the brake pedal at a few lights and some mild steering left-right movements when on the wrong angle. I'm sure people thought I was just a crazy Vanagon driver, but it got me home without a tow when it was happening, maybe it will help someone else with the same problem.

I *did* stick some flexible/soft copper 3/16" tubing through the tank nipple and angled towards the bottom center of the tank. Clamped the outlet hose with an additional clamp down on the copper tubing a bit - will see if it helps at all or not before the new tank arrives. Grr.
1991 Vanagon Syncro Westy

Period Lights, VW & Porsche wheels and Recaro/Scheel Seats for sale

https://www.facebook.com/greggearhead

http://greggearhead.com/soco-swap---september-vw-swap-meet.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: