Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuse #10 blows out & E-flashers don't work
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevetippett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Fuse #10 blows out & E-flashers don't work Reply with quote

I have a huge headache with my 72 super beetle.

I have two issues, which I think are related. One is that the fuse #10 blows as soon as I turn on the car. I've was troubleshooting an issue with the emergency flashers and noticed that fuse #10 was blown. I replaced it and as soon as I turned on the car it blew again. Any ideas about this?

The second, and probably related issue, is with the emergency flashers, brake lights and turn signals. For example, when the car starts up sometimes I the turn signals won't flash. I pull out the emergency flasher nob and push it back in and this allow the turn signals to start blinking. Usually, I do this once and the turn signals work for the rest of the trip.

However, the emergency flashers won't turn on and the brake lights don't work. Occassionally, I can manually finesse the emergency flasher nob on the dashboard in such a way that the flashers come on, either blinking or as solid lights, but other times I can't get this to happen. The brake lights aren't working at all.

My research seems to point to an issue with the emergency flasher switch. Possibly a replacement is needed. Any other ideas?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have a few separate issues- if they are related it is most likely because of wrong wiring at the fuse box. So let's start there.

By #10 fuse I assume you mean #10 from left (3rd from right) if sitting in driver's seat? If so please look and see how many and what color wires are coming off the FUSED side of that fuse (the side closest to the passenger cabin.) There should be 3 wires powering 3 items off that fuse: blower fan (solid black wire), rear defrost switch (another solid black wire), and wiper motor (black/ silver striped wire.) Trace all 3 of those wires and make sure they go where they are supposed to, or let us know if there are any different wires coming off the fused side of that fuse. Then we can go from there.

(Just an aside--I notice that the solid black wire for the brake light switches is supposed to be attached to #11 fuse right beside #10, makes me wonder if it is attached to #10 by accident?)

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: