Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New owner looking for advice!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmcgifford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: New owner looking for advice! Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

So my wife and I just purchased a 1974 kombi in decent condition. It is not running though. The previous owner was told by her mechanic that it was the fuel pump but I have removed that from the vehicle and it operates correctly holding it pressure. The reason the mechanic said the fuel pump was because the fuel has mixed with the oil. My question is, have any of you come across this and if you could pass along some advice, that would be awesome! My guess is at some point the fuel and oil comes close to each other and a gasket has blown.

Thanks in advance!
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carb trouble could do that too... if you have carbs. More engine specifications, please.

Displacement, fuel system, etc. What are we working with here?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Devon-Dyno-Soar118
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A compression test might be worth doing too. Have you tried servicing the engine, e.g. Change plugs, points, set timing and oil change, then see how it runs?
Rust Collector.
dmcgifford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can tell its the 1800 engine with dual carbs. Not sure what you mean by fuel system? It is gravity fed with a mechanical fuel pump. I am in the process of changing its oil. I have also purchased new spark plug wires as there was one missing. At this point I'm basically going to try turning it over after I get everything back together. The oil definitely had fuel in it as I could smell it pretty bad!

I appreciate all the help!
Devon-Dyno-Soar118
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before some other smartarse gets this one in, do you have a workshop manual?
I would keep goin how you are but properly service the ignition system, replace as much as possible then set it up by the numbers for your timing etc. if the ignition timing is all out it won't run or will just sound really rough. If you do it right you could have a sweet running bus in one go
Rust Collector.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, here's the first tool you need: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. You have come to the right place. This not the type of used car you can just buy and get running. There is a danger factor here you may not be aware of. Old fuel lines can easily cause a fire. Which wouldn't be a such a risk factor if the gas tank wasn't so very close to the engine.

My advice would be following:

1. Check/ Replace all fuel lines.
2. Check/ Replace all vacuum lines.
3. Buy a Bentley repair manual.
4. Change all fluids.
5. Do a complete tune up.
6. Inspect the front and rear beams
7. Inspect all brakes

Fuel has mixed with oil? So when you drain the oil do you have gas in there? Or oil some how being burned in the cylinders with the gas?

1982 AMC Eagle SX4 4.2L FI
dmcgifford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfreds78bay wrote:
Welcome. You have come to the right place. This not the type of used car you can just buy and get running. There is a danger factor here you may not be aware of. Old fuel lines can easily cause a fire. Which wouldn't be a such a risk factor if the gas tank wasn't so very close to the engine.

My advice would be following:

1. Check/ Replace all fuel lines.
2. Check/ Replace all vacuum lines.
3. Buy a Bentley repair manual.
4. Change all fluids.
5. Do a complete tune up.
6. Inspect the front and rear beams
7. Inspect all brakes

Fuel has mixed with oil? So when you drain the oil do you have gas in there? Or oil some how being burned in the cylinders with the gas?

I was wondering about the fuel lines so I will do that. I have a Hanes manual is the Bentley better? I am changing the fluids. Not sure what's all involved on the tune up. Looks like new spark plugs are in there and I bought new spark plug wires....bought new battery, anything else? By beams, do you mean the support beams that run across underneath the bus? Sorry Smile I only have some basic mechanic knowledge so hoping to do a lot of learning!

Definitely fuel in the oil, when drained the oil, it smelled like fuel and was very thin.
Devon-Dyno-Soar118
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The torsion beams, the front one is the two tubes running across the bus between the front wheels, the rear one is the tube across the bus just in front of the gearbox. Check all the greasing points and get some fresh grease in, should be in the maintainance section of your manual.
If you have a distributor ignition then tune up should involve changing the contact breaker points, then re-gapping them, changing the condenser and plugs, even if they look new. Then set the valve gap to the rocker arms (under the rocker covers), then set the ignition timing, then tune the carbs. As you have duals you may need some help at this stage.
Bentley is better than Haynes, but Haynes will be fine for the jobs on the list.
Rust Collector.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: