Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crusty '62 Volksrod Candidate?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
get crafty welding crossmembers..Id mirror that heater channel too,3/16ths fb on the pan side..give it back its integrity but maintain the rotted visual...clean running 1600.nothing fancy,a tranny that shifts, brakes that work...then slam it clean on its nutsack an throw onna 8500 dollar price tag,but when youre talkin to the right folks get loose...gone at 7k..

Shocked Who would pay that? Shocked

I Got Your Jeep Thing! Now It Hurts When I pee.

Cigarettes are like squirrels, they are both harmless until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played with the car a little today. Sat in the driver seat and it ended up down on the trailer. Called the DMV and the out of state inspection will only cost $3.50 so thats monday morning. Shot alot of PB Blaster on stuff, got the door latches working, neat how this car locks compared to my '69. The window regulator seems to have rusted away inside, the glass is in the driver door but the metal part at the bottom fell out. The more I look the more rust I find, almost scared of what I will find when I get it inside the shop. Gotta pull the ignition and door locks to go to lock smith to get keys made, have a local one who did a great job for me on the '69. Has anyone ever re finished their hood crest?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I just think it's cool.

Cigarettes are like squirrels, they are both harmless until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

birddog1148 wrote:
johnnypan wrote:
get crafty welding crossmembers..Id mirror that heater channel too,3/16ths fb on the pan side..give it back its integrity but maintain the rotted visual...clean running 1600.nothing fancy,a tranny that shifts, brakes that work...then slam it clean on its nutsack an throw onna 8500 dollar price tag,but when youre talkin to the right folks get loose...gone at 7k..

Shocked Who would pay that? Shocked

Ya gotta capture the patina look correctly.. spend a few bucks on a nice interior and decent mechanicals ,slammed... build to the look and the price will come..marketing is the key to price,and being patient..If you cut it up and volksrod it you'll have way more time in it without as much potential return.Course its your car do what you like..but a correct patina car will fetch good money if your interested in flipping it..
birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't really get it to flip it. I looked at it as a low cost begining to a fun project that would be built the way I wanted it for my enjoyment. My Baja is pretty much my daily driver when the salt isnt on the road, so it has regular tags. My bus has historic tags because you buy them once and they last till like 2050, but only allow limited use. This I figured I would put historic tags on this too. I have a big shop so it will be stored inside within the next week.

I just never thought about selling it when I got it.
And you have to remember where I am at, OHIO doesnt have a real big Volkswagen community.

johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then enjoy it... but to make my point here...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1307078
birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
Well then enjoy it... but to make my point here...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1307078

I saw that, looked up patina on the classifieds. Closest thing to me was a guy in West Virgina looking to trade a project for one. I am not argueing that there is a market, I am just not close to it Smile
I'll get it running and stoping for now, vacume out the mouse droppings and the sheet metal flakes that have rusted off and then maybe offer it for sale or trade for a short time for "fat chick" to cut up. A lot of the fun for me is the hunt and bringing them back to life as it is.

birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a spot in the shop ready for it, out of state inspection in the morning, then in she goes. Gotta dig out the gen I have off an old 1600 sp and hope I can make it fit.

birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the shop

Culito

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bug looks awesome as-is.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Was working on the car today and found the dash under the ash tray is rusted out Shocked
The gas tank looks ok inside, didnt get much time to work on it cleaning up storm damage.
Pics later

birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom of dash rusting out

Spare tire well

Bottom of A pillar at floor looks like it was hit and filled with bondo

Bottom passenger door hinge frozen solid, door bows out and hinge ripping out, I keep soaking with PB Blaster.

Cant find my 10mm combo wrench to get that bottom left bolt on the fan, but I just got one so hope to have the fan out tommorow or sat. Carb is out and torn down for cleaning and rebuild, gotta find that Gen stand for the 12v Gen.

Shop cat named Hot Rod

Remembered I have 3 big caddy hoods on the 3rd floor of the shop for donar metal Twisted Evil

drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

birddog1148 wrote:

Remembered I have 3 big caddy hoods on the 3rd floor of the shop for donar metal Twisted Evil

I think you would be happier buying a 4x8 piece of sheet metal! Why cut up and clean old metal that has been formed to a different shape? It's a lot more work and you are dealing with dirty metal.

$40 will get you a 4x8 of nice clean metal that you can form to whatever shape you want, and it's clean enough to weld without spending hours grinding on it.

Plus those caddy hoods are probably worth more then a clean sheet!
birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
birddog1148 wrote:

I think you would be happier buying a 4x8 piece of sheet metal! Why cut up and clean old metal that has been formed to a different shape? It's a lot more work and you are dealing with dirty metal.

$40 will get you a 4x8 of nice clean metal that you can form to whatever shape you want, and it's clean enough to weld without spending hours grinding on it.

Plus those caddy hoods are probably worth more then a clean sheet!

I really dont know if they are from a Caddy or not, I just say that cause a big early 70's conv in the place when I bought it. 2 are NOS but rusty from sitting 30 + years with no paint, the 3rd is used. I think the place was owned by hoarders before they abandoned it and I bought it, locals say it was full and only paths through it.
Got the title in my name today Laughing worked on getting the gen out to swap in the 12v one. everything is loose, gen stand, intake gen strap, gen backing plate, looks like the fan housing is going to come off to get it out. TSC had paint on clearance yesterday, guess they are dropping Valspar. Got some gloss black, red oxide primer and truck bed coating Wink
Broke 1 gas tank bolt off but the jack is rusted in holding the tank in, so it's soaking in PB. Pulled the bus out and put the Baja in to adjust the valves.

Caddy that came with the shop-sold for scrap

The hoods visible far left center

birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to get all my spare VW parts in one area

Engine out gonna clean and paint the tin and clean ther block before I try too start it.

Crappy pic but what are these spread open "U" shaped little things in the bell housing

hemifalcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah.. looks like Anthracite Grey.. Cool color--amidst the rust.. Get it on the road--however necessary... Good find and good save, no matter how you save it..
-JP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

working on it slowly, tins shot in red, hope to have the engine cleaned up and put back together this weekend.

birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesnt look like I will have it running this weekend, The parts store wont have some of my parts till tuesday Crying or Very sad But I will do what I can, should have the new dual circuit MC this weekend so I can start on that, may even get to try my new ISO/Bubble flare kit out. Cool

birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised what Rockauto.com has in parts for this and their prices are good. Got the exhaust off without breaking a stud Razz

vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

birddog1148 wrote:
Got the exhaust off without breaking a stud Razz

Lucky dawg. Its happened more than once to many folks. A broken exhaust stud led to an entire engine rebuild. Very Happy
birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vaughn bros. wrote:
birddog1148 wrote:
Got the exhaust off without breaking a stud Razz

Lucky dawg. Its happened more than once to many folks. A broken exhaust stud led to an entire engine rebuild. Very Happy

And I didnt have to use the welder to extract the broken studs Razz
Cant say the same for the Baja last time I pulled an exhaust Crying or Very sad

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: