Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

seat belt replacement trouble!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agentdooper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: seat belt replacement trouble! Reply with quote

So I need some help replacing a seat belt in my 68 beetle. Since I've owned it, its had a ripped rear seat belt. So a few days ago I went to the local pick n pull and found a matching one. At the pick n pull the seat belt was fairly easy to remove but today when I went to switch it out the ripped one that's currently in my bug, I couldn't get the bolt undone. I've tried everything from an impact wrench to a blow torch to try and get the bolt loose but it just won't budge. Sad If anyone has a solution please share it with me. Brick wall

Signed,

Disgrungtled bug enthusiest.[/list]
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My belts in my 68 were pretty discusting also...I opted for new one not used ones. Was concerned about old dried aged material.
Attempt to soak the bolts with some PB blaster or similiar substance.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Agentdooper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rest of my belts are in good shape so I was trying to keep it as original looking as possible. Ill try soaking it tomorrow. How long should I let it soak?
Wideopen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agentdooper wrote:
The rest of my belts are in good shape so I was trying to keep it as original looking as possible. Ill try soaking it tomorrow. How long should I let it soak?

Depends on how rusted they are. I have let exhaust bolts soak for a few days(respraying every so often), just to free them up with out stripping or breaking them.
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat the bolt with a real torch, not a propane one. Then let it cool completely. The expansion while it is hot will crush the rust in the threads and make clearance for removal. You may hae to do this more than once.
Try a socket and a breaker bar. Make sure the socket is a 6 point socket, not 12 point.
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: