Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW 30 details? Questions
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spooky65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: VW 30 details? Questions Reply with quote

I have always been kinda obsessed with the VW 30 prototype. I have been looking over some pics of the originals and have some questions. What is the thing mounted in the lower center front of the car? I am thinking its the horn?
And I am wondering also about the original color. I know of two prototypes and they are different colors so it leads me to believe the original color is a complete mystery??? VWs version is hard to stomach I really cant believe the originals would have been that color blue. It just seems like there should be some documentation of what color they were or atleast a recorded eyewitness account of what color they were.
And the last thing I was wondering is most pics I see the VW30 has no bumpers but a few I have seen do have bumpers. Did they add these at some point during testing?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go get "the birth of the beetle" by Chris Barber. It will tell you all you need. Although there will always be some tiny detail that only may come forward in a forum like this, that book is well researched and free of all BS. And it covers the VW 30 series well.

Christ I just checked Ebay and Amazon, looks like this one is ripe for a reprint, people want 300 $ for it. Well anyway, good luck hunting.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread I started a while ago may be of interest to you.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=343304&highlight=

The round thing is the horn. There were numerous colors used on the VW30. You can see in the old photos different shades of B&W, even two tone color schemes but so far I have not seen any color photos. I read somewhere that even the people who worked on these cars can't seem to remember the exact colors used. You have to keep in mind that over the years of testing and use these cars may have been repainted several times and all kinds of updates were added like bumpers and tail lights (taken from the VW38/39 range).

This is demonstrated well in the pictures taken at the "demolition" event at the end of line for the VW30. See different colors and the addition of bumpers and tail lights.

spooky65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics. I see they were probably all different in some way. Cool. And yes I would love the book but its not in the budget at that price!
Jack O'Neill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm obsessed with this particular batch of prototypes as well (look at my avatar...). Actually I've found this forum searching info on this car, and landed on the very thread Undis menioned.
The Chris Barber book is very prohibitive here were I live, so, like you, I try to gather whatever info I can find on the Internet. So far I've collected a lot of pictures, but I suppose there many more on the net to be found (I didn't have one of the pictures Undis posted, for instance).
As for the colours, I too remember reading something about not even the workers remembering them correctly. I guess one of them saw the VW recreation (that one with the funny headlights) and mentioned that. On my scale model I went with silver, but no doubt black or white would've been a much safer bet. But, let's not rule the blue out - since the NSU 32 is some sort of greenish-grayish-blue, I'm forced to acknowledge that Dr. Porsche was very creative with his prototypes' colour palette...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shadd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow

...Um I am going to go get my copy of "Birth of the Beetle" out of the bathroom and put it back on my bookshelf now...
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back there was a semi in town here selling books at a discount. I found "Birth of the Beetle" in a stack, at least ten copies. Thinking it couldn't be that good since it was on the discount rack, I bought it anyway thinking "Oh well it's a VW book"...errrgh ...I need to find a flux capacitor.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:
Go get "the birth of the beetle" by Chris Barber.

Christ I just checked Ebay and Amazon, looks like this one is ripe for a reprint, people want 300 $ for it.

The prices demanded for those books are meaningless. There are always sellers asking a ton for books that are still "in print", waiting for the odd dummy to come along and click the buy-it-now. The ads cost pennies, so it's worth a shot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
allsidius wrote:
Go get "the birth of the beetle" by Chris Barber.

Christ I just checked Ebay and Amazon, looks like this one is ripe for a reprint, people want 300 $ for it.

The prices demanded for those books are meaningless. There are always sellers asking a ton for books that are still "in print", waiting for the odd dummy to come along and click the buy-it-now. The ads cost pennies, so it's worth a shot.
¨

Totally agree, but I don't think this book is "in print" i.e. available to buy as new at the original suggested retail price anymore. (unless you find that back street vendor in Krakow, Poland that has the last 5 copies). I agree that internet advertising at top dollar is a dubious practice that has escalated in later years. The best place to get a book like this is in my experience Ebay, since the sellers are mostly independent and some would just like to get their money back after they read it and got bored with the details. Put up a search on ebay and wait until a good one comes by. Don't be afraid to use the "make an offer" button. I was just lucky and got a part at nearly half the advertised price. But don't expect to get this book for 10 bucks, I think the word is out and a realistic price is around 50 to 80 bucks. Good luck!

Stetoppingphoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BIRTH-OF-THE-BEETLE-THE-...967wt_1270
Stetoppingphoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me why its only £30.00 here?

http://www.ltv-vwc.org.uk/wheelspin/ws_june_2003/Birth-beetle-book.htm
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste-9n2 wrote:

Exchange rate ??? Laughing
manxcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$46.47
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste-9n2 wrote:

My browser did not allow opening this site, due to security risks. If it is legit, get a cartful and sell them at up to 3000 $ as the ebayer above claims they sell for!

Really don't know what has happened, but it seems the value of this particular book has spriralled out of all proportions. Especially in the minds of the sellers.

Stetoppingphoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that must have been the original price im presuming!

i really want this book bad, i cant justify spending that money on it though.

Im gonna search the book shops for it!
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That pricing is really insane. I bought "Birth of The Beetle" in 2007 from a seller on Amazon for $32.54. Someone must have started a rumor among booksellers that this book is some kind of rarity. Classic example of a bubble.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For $500 I might consider sell my copy..... Very Happy

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy the german version for 35 Euros any time.
I bought the english one for the same price if I remember it right.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
For $500 I might consider sell my copy..... Very Happy

Sure, and the buyer will certainly get their money back when they decide to sell it because the prices of these books will only keep going up...

Wait, where have I heard that before? Oh, yeah, a mortgage broker back around 2008... Laughing

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a nice book that's only about $20 from the Porsche Museum (available on Amazon):

http://www.amazon.com/Ferdinand-Porsche-Volkswagen-Ing-H/dp/3832192980/ref=pd_sim_b_6

If you want to look through it you can do so on the publisher's website:

http://www.dumont-buchverlag.de/sixcms/detail.php?template=buchdetail_en&id=6106

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: