Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW 30 details? Questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much doubt that book has the same level of detail as Birth of the beetle. BOTB is my reference book, no other book I have seen (and I have a few) has the same exhaustive documentation of each prototype up to the VW30, and then a pretty comprehensive description of the VW30, VW38 and VW39 series.

Lets hope the dreamers come down from their clouds and start to circulate the book at more reasonable prices. It is an exceptional book, though, that always will command a good price, unlike all those coffee-table cheapo editions that mix up the different prototypes, show modified cars etc.

The "Rise from the ashes of war" is another good book, but on a wholly different level. I bought it solely for the picture of the VW38 wooden mockup taken before the VW30 series headlights were ditched in favor of the final design. The book is an account of the conditions at the factory in the postwar years, and not a technical description of the development of the beetle.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the two books compliment each other. "Rise" is like a sequel to "Birth." Another book I like is "Volkswagen Military Vehicles of the Third Reich" by Blaine Taylor. (ISBN 0-306-81313-0) It has a few discrepancies, but really puts the VW story in perspective against the backdrop of the war. Not only are the photos great, but it's the only place I've ever seen the entire English translation of Der Fuhrer's cornerstone speech.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Here's a nice book that's only about $20 from the Porsche Museum (available on Amazon):

http://www.amazon.com/Ferdinand-Porsche-Volkswagen-Ing-H/dp/3832192980/ref=pd_sim_b_6

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just got this book today. A few impressions:

1. It's very small. Almost pocket book size. But good quality.

2. It's a very condensed summary of Porsche's development of the Beetle. It has some well-reproduced pictures I've never seen before. Surprisingly, it does mention Josef Ganz.

3. It mentions Hitler's involvement but only as much as is absolutely necessary to stay truthful. What I find very interesting is that there is not a single picture in which any Nazi official appears in uniform, and in one picture inside the factory showing four new Beetles lined up in front of a curtain with some civilians in suits standing by them, the large circular Nazi emblem on one side of the curtain has been completely blackened. The unretouched curtain appears in Ludvigsen's "Battle for the Beetle".

4. For $20 it's not a bad deal.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.

Last edited by 79SuperVert on Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Volkswagen Military Vehicles of the Third Reich" which I mentioned in my last post is just the opposite. It's as if the author sought out every possible photo of the VW that tied it directly to the Third Reich. Lots of uniforms, lots of flags and all the power players are there.

Heinz Nordhoff
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
"Volkswagen Military Vehicles of the Third Reich" which I mentioned in my last post is just the opposite. It's as if the author sought out every possible photo of the VW that tied it directly to the Third Reich. Lots of uniforms, lots of flags and all the power players are there.

I got online and bought this book. In no way does it come close to BOTB. The text is full of errors (type V60 beetles? ) and a lot of unnecessary Hitler and other nazi swine pictures. Why the author has chosen to include a picture of AH back in his cell 20 years after the putsch confinement, I wouldn't know. In a book about beetles it's a bit irrelevant and only goes to show the author's fascination with the Nazi movement. I am not saying he is a nazi, don't get me wrong, but we all know how Goebbels and Goering looked like by now.

On the good side there are a few pictures I haven't seen, of both relevant MB cars made at the same time as the V30 series, and lots of cool kubel variants. I haven't finished the book yet, but the start makes me feel uneasy that the info in the later part of the book will not be much more reliable. All the half track kubels are shown in much better reproduction in Rise from the Ashes of war.

I am not sorry I bought the book, and Blue Baron's review is fairly accurate, but this is not a reference book like BOTB. I am expecting the other books discussed in this thread shortly and I will review them as well.

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
Another book I like is "Volkswagen Military Vehicles of the Third Reich" by Blaine Taylor. (ISBN 0-306-81313-0) It has a few discrepancies, but really puts the VW story in perspective against the backdrop of the war.

Okay, there's a lot of discrepancies when it comes to facts about the cars themselves. The author is more of a historian that a car buff. And if a nazi uniform causes you revulsion, (which I can perfectly understand if you live in Norway) this may not be the book for you.

The author might have been fascinated with the Third Reich, but he does include a fair dose of condemnation along the way, and there are never-before-seen photos, such as Rudolph Hess sitting in a VW39.

Bottom line, it's a book I like, not love. But it does fill a niche in my library, and is the exact opposite of official company history, where they go out of their way to avoid showing photos with uniforms or flags.

A good book review from allsidius. I'd be interested in hearing more of his book suggestions. (In English, please. It seems everything good is in German.)

Heinz Nordhoff
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see we are in total agreement on that book then, just finished it and my view didn't change.

A couple of other books I read in the past year;

Paul Schilperoord's The Extraordinary Life of Josef Ganz - The Jewish Engineer Behind Hitler's Volkswagen is a book about a brilliant engineer who claims that Porsche looked over his shoulder and copied all his good ideas. Well researched but biased towards Ganz as the father of the VW. A true sad story about a good engineer, unlucky in business, and seemingly obsessed with claiming patents. It is common knowledge that Ferdinand Porsche used good ideas floating around at the time and amalgamated them into the iconic VW. In my opinion, Schilperoord fails to show that the ideas Ganz claimed as his own were new, like central tube chassis, independent suspension, rear engine etc. A good book in any case, if read with sympathy towards the haunted Ganz.

Chris Barber Birth of the Beetle Quite simply the reference book at present, wonderfully researched and well written. The only book that clearly separates all the prototype variants and even has a gallery of most of the cars in the hand made VW38 series. Goes into fantastic detail, with tons of original drawings, and very few errors that I could find, if any. This book is in a league of its own.

Grundmann, Struwe, Becker "Der erste Brezelkäfer" The most fantastic picture collection of the fabulous VW38/06 that we all love. Unfortunately, in my view, the authors chose to target a wider audience than all the VW nuts on this site, who has opinions on everything from the texture of the gas line from fuel pump to carburettor, to the hand made bulges of the front fenders. The text is very general and does not say much about the fantastic background work that made this maybe the most well researched and correct recreation of such an iconic vehicle. I was stunned to follow the progress on the Samba of the car from wreck in Lithuania to the TÜV inspection, and I guess I wished for a cleaned up printed version of the fantastic thread here on theSamba. Of course I understand the publishers decision to make it more accessible to a wider audience, the question is wether more detail would have killed the sales. I think not. But still one of my most priced books.

79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree on all three.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one if anyone's interested:

Small Wonder By Walter Henry Nelson is an interesting narrative of the development of the beetle, and purportedly the first account (1970) that admitted the nazi links. Maybe it was commisioned to get ahead of evil minds plotting to reveal the Hitler connection. Clearly an "authorized" biography as approved by VAG, but it is well written and full of anectdotes. The 50s are totally absent, no account of the myriads of improvements to the type 1 over the years has been made. My favorite part was the description of Wolfburg anno 1966 as an utopian "Pleasantville" community, complete with a visit to Heinz Nordhoff's luxurious but low key residence.

I spent a few extra dollars to get the updated paperback edition from ca 2000, forget that, get the original hardcopy of 1970 and save a bundle. The updates are quite summarily done, no description of all the changes between 1970 to jan. 1980, just a hastily assembled how to date your beetle section that has been covered much better in other books. The original 1970 edition contains all this book has to offer, get it used and skip the reprint.

In all my books I miss a proper narrative / anecdotes collection of the changes to the type 1, I have just ordered the Etzold book Vol 1 and hope that's fairly complete but still readable. I want to know how the workers reacted when they come to work and found that the presses had been modified to skip the divider bar in the rear window. How was the curved windshield received at the factory, etc. Chris Barber, you have a quest!

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, apologies to Spooky65 for hijacking his thread.

For your library:

Karl Ludvigsen's "Battle for the Beetle" is essential. (Robert Bentley Publishers 2000, ISBN 0-8376-0071-5) Ludvigsen gathers published information from a variety of sources, with a focus on the various entities battling to acquire the VW factory after the war. There's also a great deal of information on rear-engined cars similar to the VW.

I also like to collect older books on VW history, written when the history was still fresh, and gathered from contemporary sources. In addition to Small Wonder, I would recommend:

The Porsche and Volkswagen Companion
, by Kenneth Ullyett, Stanley Paul & Co. LTD, 1962.

Porsche; The Man and His Cars, by Richard von Frankenberg, G.T. Foulis & Co. LTD. London, 1961.

The Amazing Volkswagen & Porsche Story, by W. Robert Nitske, Comet Press Books, New York, 1958

And the granddaddy of them all, Beyond Expectation, The Volkswagen Story by K.B. Hopfinger. (Foulis & Co. LTD. London, 1954 and 1956.)
The Hopfinger book was inspired by the author's own interviews with Ferdinand Porsche in 1949 and 1950. The book has a real "you are there" feel to it because it was written when the events were still fresh, however it's lacking in detail about the British years at Wolfsburg, which would lead one to believe relations between the Porsches and the British overseers of the factory had not yet thawed when the bulk of the book was written.

Another good read is The VW Story by Jerry Sloniger, 1980 (ISBN 0 85059 441 3) Very good history, including events up to the late '70s.

I'd also recommend Volkswagen Nine Lives Later by Dan Post (Horizon House, 1966) The book has been made available again by Robert Bentley Publishers. This is more of a feel-good picture book than an authoritative history, but still a good addition for your library. Dan Post also wrote Volkswagen for the Wehrmacht (1972) which is a reprint of the U.S. War Department's field manual for captured Kubelwagens. A hard-to-find book.

Heinz Nordhoff
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
...And the granddaddy of them all, Beyond Expectation, The Volkswagen Story by K.B. Hopfinger. (Foulis & Co. LTD. London, 1954 and 1956.)

The Hopfinger book was republished in 1971 as just "The Volkswagen Story" without the "Beyond Expectation" in the title, and some of the interesting info on the early years was deleted in favor of some newer material. I have both and I prefer the earlier edition.

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I didn't list the later one.

Okay, for the completist, there's a '71 edition. Wink

Heinz Nordhoff
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I'm obsessed about these things... Laughing

allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="79SuperVert"][quote="79SuperVert"]Here's a nice book that's only about $20 from the Porsche Museum (available on Amazon):

http://www.amazon.com/Ferdinand-Porsche-Volkswagen-Ing-H/dp/3832192980/ref=pd_sim_b_6

Got this book a few days ago as well, lots of unseen pictures from the 30s, very interesting. Text is like a condensed version of BOTB, but the pictures make it worthwhile! Recommended.

I got the two other books from Porsche library as well, they were not equally interesting. I am not particularly interested in bodykitted 924s.

bandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="allsidius"][quote="79SuperVert"]
79SuperVert wrote:
Here's a nice book that's only about $20 from the Porsche Museum (available on Amazon):

Got this book a few days ago as well, lots of unseen pictures from the 30s, very interesting. Text is like a condensed version of BOTB, but the pictures make it worthwhile! Recommended.

I got the two other books from Porsche library as well, they were not equally interesting. I am not particularly interested in bodykitted 924s.

Yeah, my girlfriend got me the complete set at Christmas- I enjoyed the Porsche books as well, but Porsches are my second automotive love...
'60 Canadian Standard, '64 Bug, another '64 Bug, '66 Bug, '69 Sunroof Bug, '69 GT3 Bug, '71 Super, '72 Super, '73 Canadian Custom, '74 Love Bug, '83 Mexi Bug, '85 Cabrio, '94 Mexi Bug, '99 New Beetle, '02 New Beetle Turbo S, '03 New Beetle VR6. And some Fieros.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ why didn't I get 10 copies when I could, one guy is asking 1000 american dollars for "the Birth of the Beetle!" Capitalism in practice!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1859609597/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, kinda wish now I hadn't dog-eared my copy so much. But just like the MP3 killed the value of rare records, I'm sure the book will be reprinted in some form.

Heinz Nordhoff
HUGO bOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:
I see we are in total agreement on that book then, just finished it and my view didn't change.

A couple of other books I read in the past year;

Paul Schilperoord's The Extraordinary Life of Josef Ganz - The Jewish Engineer Behind Hitler's Volkswagen is a book about a brilliant engineer who claims that Porsche looked over his shoulder and copied all his good ideas. Well researched but biased towards Ganz as the father of the VW. A true sad story about a good engineer, unlucky in business, and seemingly obsessed with claiming patents. It is common knowledge that Ferdinand Porsche used good ideas floating around at the time and amalgamated them into the iconic VW. In my opinion, Schilperoord fails to show that the ideas Ganz claimed as his own were new, like central tube chassis, independent suspension, rear engine etc. A good book in any case, if read with sympathy towards the haunted Ganz.

Chris Barber Birth of the Beetle Quite simply the reference book at present, wonderfully researched and well written. The only book that clearly separates all the prototype variants and even has a gallery of most of the cars in the hand made VW38 series. Goes into fantastic detail, with tons of original drawings, and very few errors that I could find, if any. This book is in a league of its own.

Grundmann, Struwe, Becker "Der erste Brezelkäfer" The most fantastic picture collection of the fabulous VW38/06 that we all love. Unfortunately, in my view, the authors chose to target a wider audience than all the VW nuts on this site, who has opinions on everything from the texture of the gas line from fuel pump to carburettor, to the hand made bulges of the front fenders. The text is very general and does not say much about the fantastic background work that made this maybe the most well researched and correct recreation of such an iconic vehicle. I was stunned to follow the progress on the Samba of the car from wreck in Lithuania to the TÜV inspection, and I guess I wished for a cleaned up printed version of the fantastic thread here on theSamba. Of course I understand the publishers decision to make it more accessible to a wider audience, the question is wether more detail would have killed the sales. I think not. But still one of my most priced books.

Bought the first yesterday at Ebay, and I'm waiting for him.
Read the history of the VW38/6 here in thesamba and bought also the book. A more complete story of the restoration, in my opinion, will not "kill" the book... only will get him better...

About the second, I bought it new in 2003 but only two weeks agon started to read him... (have only seen the pics and some small parts of the text at the time). Dint realised how was his price now... Shocked
About the history of him, by far the best I have read until now... Many pics are unique... 20 years of research...
Have read in the past another one, "10 Milion of Beetles" (it was a portuguese translation) from Saint Loup. No pics, but an fantastic history also. Dont now if an english version exists... think it's original french from 1968...
http://www.latourinfernal.com/dix-millions-coccinelles-p-348.html

Many of the words by Porsche and AH are there... A friend have it for read... 6 years now... Rolling Eyes
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUGO bOSS wrote:

Have read in the past another one, "10 Milion of Beetles" (it was a portuguese translation) from Saint Loup. No pics, but an fantastic history also. Dont now if an english version exists... think it's original french from 1968...
http://www.latourinfernal.com/dix-millions-coccinelles-p-348.html

Many of the words by Porsche and AH are there... A friend have it for read... 6 years now... Rolling Eyes

I think this is a translation of "Small wonder" from the late 60s. Reviewed above. Nice book, but do not spend extra to get the updated edition, the updates are very sketchy. I don't even think it mentions the Super beetle. The book is not about the car at all, it is more about the organisation and sales campaigns. Life at the factory and so on. The original 60s edition has it all up till about 1967. I particularly enjoyed the trip to Nordhoff's home. Clearly a very authorized account.

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter Henry Nelson lobbied Volkswagen to include a copy of "Small Wonder" with every new car sold, but VW rejected the idea. You have to remember that the PR folks at the factory in the '60s did everything they could to excise the car's past. You will see no official reference to its prewar history other than a nod to Porsche and some vague references to the German government. So even though there was heavy Volkswagen involvement in the creation of the book, I wouldn't say they were thrilled with the outcome or that the book was authorized by them.

Heinz Nordhoff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: