Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
2276 cc engine with dual 48 IDF Webber Carbs
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance - Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
luismemo21
Samba Member


Joined: July 02, 2012
Posts: 12
Location: Fontana
luismemo21 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: 2276 cc engine with dual 48 IDF Webber Carbs Reply with quote

Is it possible to convert this engine from a dual carb to a single carb?

Its a 2276 cc engine with dual 48 IDF Webber Carbs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
jfats808
Samba Member


Joined: December 10, 2007
Posts: 3910
Location: oahu hawaii
jfats808 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answer to your question is yes. My question is why? 48 idfs are good carbs especially for that size engine, assumming that the combo matches. If your having tuning issues, list your combo so we may attempt to help u. Or is there something else?
_________________
2276 IDA's 86C 11-1 DD !
2017 48DRLA's W125

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

Check your oil levels routinely! XOXOXO Jon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krusher
Samba Member


Joined: September 24, 2002
Posts: 7647
Location: wales,uk
krusher is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Deluxe-Centermount-Intake-Manifold-Kit-Weber-IDF-p/99004-315.htm
_________________
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
(06:54:29) BoomsVW: "i always feel free down there"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luismemo21
Samba Member


Joined: July 02, 2012
Posts: 12
Location: Fontana
luismemo21 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
Answer to your question is yes. My question is why? 48 idfs are good carbs especially for that size engine, assumming that the combo matches. If your having tuning issues, list your combo so we may attempt to help u. Or is there something else?


Well Im using this 1970 Fasty as a daily driver, and I want to remove a carb in an attempt to save a little more gas, since its ridiculous nowadays. I understand when driving a car like this, you can't really expect fuel effeciency, but things are tight, and anything helps.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
jfats808
Samba Member


Joined: December 10, 2007
Posts: 3910
Location: oahu hawaii
jfats808 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta realize that removing one carb doesn't necessarily mean less fuel consumption. Dependant on the rest of the combo by just judging on the size and carb size/type, I don't think the engine is really designed to be a fuel sipper. The best of both worlds is to look for someone who's willing to trade up your 48s for 40s and maybe cash. Otherwise a well tuned engine can get you 18-28 mpg depending on driving style.
_________________
2276 IDA's 86C 11-1 DD !
2017 48DRLA's W125

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

Check your oil levels routinely! XOXOXO Jon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member


Joined: November 11, 2004
Posts: 9587
Location: OKLAHOMA
vwracerdave is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luismemo21 wrote:
I want to remove a carb in an attempt to save a little more gas, since its ridiculous nowadays.


Believe it or not, you can actually get better milage with dual carbs then a single when they are set up corectly.
_________________
2010 Sportsman ET Champion - Mid-America Dragway - Arkansas City, KS
1997 Sportsman ET Champion - Thunder Valley Raceway Park - Noble ,OK
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joel Mohr
Samba Member


Joined: March 07, 2002
Posts: 252
Location: High Desert SoCal
Joel Mohr is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get 27 on the highway with my 2442 and dual 49s....yes, 49s. Duals are much more efficiant than a single....[/quote]
_________________
SEE YOU AT THE RACES!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luismemo21
Samba Member


Joined: July 02, 2012
Posts: 12
Location: Fontana
luismemo21 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
luismemo21 wrote:
I want to remove a carb in an attempt to save a little more gas, since its ridiculous nowadays.


Believe it or not, you can actually get better milage with dual carbs then a single when they are set up corectly.


So when you say, "set up correctly", what exactly should I be looking for? Im not extremely knowledgable with engines, so anything helps really.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
Patrickvw
Samba Member


Joined: June 20, 2011
Posts: 106
Location: British Columbia
Patrickvw is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once traveled 800 miles with a friend. He was in a 63 beetle with a 1776cc with dual single barrel solex's and I was in a 68 beetle with a 1904cc with dual 2 barrel dellorto 40's. He kept bragging about getting way better millage than me. but after the round trip I calculated that I got 44 mpg and he only got 30 mpg. I also spent less money on fuel and filled up less. He had to down shift going up hills and passing and I didn't, therefore keeping the RPM's down.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member


Joined: November 11, 2004
Posts: 9587
Location: OKLAHOMA
vwracerdave is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few articles to read to get you started.

http://www.aircooled.net/vw-carburetor-tech/
_________________
2010 Sportsman ET Champion - Mid-America Dragway - Arkansas City, KS
1997 Sportsman ET Champion - Thunder Valley Raceway Park - Noble ,OK
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member


Joined: November 11, 2004
Posts: 9587
Location: OKLAHOMA
vwracerdave is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrickvw wrote:
I once traveled 800 miles with a friend. He was in a 63 beetle with a 1776cc with dual single barrel solex's and I was in a 68 beetle with a 1904cc with dual 2 barrel dellorto 40's. He kept bragging about getting way better millage than me. but after the round trip I calculated that I got 44 mpg and he only got 30 mpg. I also spent less money on fuel and filled up less. He had to down shift going up hills and passing and I didn't, therefore keeping the RPM's down.


If he had the stock geared 63 transaxle and you had the stock geared 68 transaxle YOU SHOULD have gotten better milage them he did.
_________________
2010 Sportsman ET Champion - Mid-America Dragway - Arkansas City, KS
1997 Sportsman ET Champion - Thunder Valley Raceway Park - Noble ,OK
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Patrickvw
Samba Member


Joined: June 20, 2011
Posts: 106
Location: British Columbia
Patrickvw is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Patrickvw wrote:
I once traveled 800 miles with a friend. He was in a 63 beetle with a 1776cc with dual single barrel solex's and I was in a 68 beetle with a 1904cc with dual 2 barrel dellorto 40's. He kept bragging about getting way better millage than me. but after the round trip I calculated that I got 44 mpg and he only got 30 mpg. I also spent less money on fuel and filled up less. He had to down shift going up hills and passing and I didn't, therefore keeping the RPM's down.


If he had the stock geared 63 transaxle and you had the stock geared 68 transaxle YOU SHOULD have gotten better milage them he did.


He had and still has a freeway flyer transaxle. Mine is a stock 68 transaxle
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
krusher
Samba Member


Joined: September 24, 2002
Posts: 7647
Location: wales,uk
krusher is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrickvw wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
Patrickvw wrote:
I once traveled 800 miles with a friend. He was in a 63 beetle with a 1776cc with dual single barrel solex's and I was in a 68 beetle with a 1904cc with dual 2 barrel dellorto 40's. He kept bragging about getting way better millage than me. but after the round trip I calculated that I got 44 mpg and he only got 30 mpg. I also spent less money on fuel and filled up less. He had to down shift going up hills and passing and I didn't, therefore keeping the RPM's down.


If he had the stock geared 63 transaxle and you had the stock geared 68 transaxle YOU SHOULD have gotten better milage them he did.


He had and still has a freeway flyer transaxle. Mine is a stock 68 transaxle


44mpg is very high, was this calculated of your speedo/odometer that was tested as accurate?
_________________
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
(06:54:29) BoomsVW: "i always feel free down there"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luismemo21
Samba Member


Joined: July 02, 2012
Posts: 12
Location: Fontana
luismemo21 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
Gotta realize that removing one carb doesn't necessarily mean less fuel consumption. Dependant on the rest of the combo by just judging on the size and carb size/type, I don't think the engine is really designed to be a fuel sipper. The best of both worlds is to look for someone who's willing to trade up your 48s for 40s and maybe cash. Otherwise a well tuned engine can get you 18-28 mpg depending on driving style.


My engine only has 67K miles, and those 48s were brand new when the engine was built. Coming from someone with experience, how much do you think they're worth? And roughly how much should 40s cost?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
Patrickvw
Samba Member


Joined: June 20, 2011
Posts: 106
Location: British Columbia
Patrickvw is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know 44mpg is high. I didn't believe it myself. This was my first time travelling with this car. we drove down to the Great Canadian VW Show in vancouver. I live about 400 miles north. I made it about 300 miles before I filled up (I wasn't empty yet, and he only made it about 150 miles (he was completely empty). I drove into vancouver (about a 100 more miles), filled up the day I left, And then drove back home (another 400 miles). I actually probably drove a bit more than 800 miles with the driving I did in Vancouver. I remember only filling the car 3 times on the trip and then when I got back home. yes, this was using the odometer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
jfats808
Samba Member


Joined: December 10, 2007
Posts: 3910
Location: oahu hawaii
jfats808 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luismemo21 wrote:
jfats808 wrote:
Gotta realize that removing one carb doesn't necessarily mean less fuel consumption. Dependant on the rest of the combo by just judging on the size and carb size/type, I don't think the engine is really designed to be a fuel sipper. The best of both worlds is to look for someone who's willing to trade up your 48s for 40s and maybe cash. Otherwise a well tuned engine can get you 18-28 mpg depending on driving style.


My engine only has 67K miles, and those 48s were brand new when the engine was built. Coming from someone with experience, how much do you think they're worth? And roughly how much should 40s cost?


Get your carbs dialed in first and get a shop to show you how. Or, go and read up on how to do it. You can get over 25+ mpg once u get them tuned up. Last ditch effort you can easily get 150$ + a set of 40s from the right person. But I implore u to get it tumed and synched first. There is reading material and thereafter a you tube video.
_________________
2276 IDA's 86C 11-1 DD !
2017 48DRLA's W125

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

Check your oil levels routinely! XOXOXO Jon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member


Joined: August 03, 2002
Posts: 9037
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
john@aircooled.net is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carb sizing is the SAME for duals or center mount. A 48 IDF is HUGE and too big for most applications.
_________________
Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DarthWeber
Samba Member


Joined: November 24, 2007
Posts: 7557
Location: Whittier,CA
DarthWeber is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, he's trying to convert his Fastback, Type 3, to a single carb.

In a word.......no.

Dual carbs, in this application, are orders of magnitude better than a single centermount carb. BTW, with a 2276 and Dual 48IDF's what kind of fuel mileage were you expecting to achieve? Not being sarcastic here, just a straight up question.
_________________
Mitey62 wrote:
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luismemo21
Samba Member


Joined: July 02, 2012
Posts: 12
Location: Fontana
luismemo21 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthWeber wrote:
Guys, he's trying to convert his Fastback, Type 3, to a single carb.

In a word.......no.

Dual carbs, in this application, are orders of magnitude better than a single centermount carb. BTW, with a 2276 and Dual 48IDF's what kind of fuel mileage were you expecting to achieve? Not being sarcastic here, just a straight up question.


The person I bought this from put this engine in it. I was more interested in the car itself than the power, and the opportunity was just to good to pass up. I'm just trying to find ways to help my MPG out thats all. Anything helps.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
DarthWeber
Samba Member


Joined: November 24, 2007
Posts: 7557
Location: Whittier,CA
DarthWeber is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know anything about this engine? Like, what cam it has in it? Type of heads, exhaust? I'm sure there's someone out there who would swap you some 44IDF's or Dellorto 40DRLA's for your 48IDF's - providing it's possible with your engine combo.
_________________
Mitey62 wrote:
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance - Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2014, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB