Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Karman Ghia Build (UK)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl4x4 wrote:
That reminds me I must put one of those Pegasus safety signs on my Christmas list :-)

(Thanks for the pics easy-e) I put the Pegasus stickers on as a nod to the old race cars of the time

I think I get it, Carl. The modifications you've made - suspension, gearbox, engine, etc - tell me you're building a race car, and what's a race car without sponsors' decals, eh?

In defence of a slower Ghia: When you drive a special car, you must always go slowly so that people will have sufficient time to admire it, and be jealous of your good fortune.
carl4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of race car, just ordered myself an early christmas present Smile (the Mendeola stiffy bar - not the Subaru gearbox!)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl4x4 wrote:
Talking of race car, just ordered myself an early christmas present Smile (the Mendeola stiffy bar - not the Subaru gearbox!)

Are you planning on not having heat in the car ? I wanted the Mendeola bar myself, I called them. They said the bar wouldn't work with heater boxes.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
carl4x4 wrote:
Talking of race car, just ordered myself an early christmas present :-) (the Mendeola stiffy bar - not the Subaru gearbox!)

Are you planning on not having heat in the car ? I wanted the Mendeola bar myself, I called them. They said the bar wouldn't work with heater boxes.

Do race cars like Carl's have heating?
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
CiderGuy wrote:
carl4x4 wrote:

Do race cars like Carl's have heating?

I really don't know what is or isn't done across the pond. I do know that you could have said it better.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
carl4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vintagespeed exhaust means no heat exchangers so that ship has sailed. Although I am quite interested in the electric heating thread elsewhere on here but that is for another day/year especially if we start doing road rallies in winter!

CiderGuy, if you are still looking aircooled.net do one that clears the heater boxes Smile
carl4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karman Ghia Build (UK) Reply with quote

For those of you in the UK doing an FI conversion, the CB performance AN6 or AN8 adaptors for the standard fuel tank outlet can be bought at Limebug in the UK.

http://www.limebug.net/product/view/2273/8an6an-vw-fuel-tank-adapter-fittings

carl4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karman Ghia Build (UK) Reply with quote

Dropped the gearbox off today for rebuild at Cogbox. The new box will be based on the AH 1302s gearbox as it's stronger apparently than the AT.

The new box will have a combination of AH gear ratios, but with the 3.8 final drive from the AT box:

3.80 1st
2.06 2nd
1.26 3rd
0.89 4th
3.875 final drive

3rd and 4th gears will be welded on, and the bronze forks will be replaced with steel ones.

That's the plan anyway Smile
carl4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karman Ghia Build (UK) Reply with quote

Update for January (just!)

The gearbox is back all nice & reconditioned, looking good and can't wait to try it in the car. Picked up a good used gearbox cradle which needed modifying to accommodate the gearbox brace bar pick up points.

Whilst I ordered a Mendeola Kafer bar last year, I ended up with an Empi one. I won't go into details here, but importing one from the US seemed to fall into the too-hard ctaegory so the order was eventually cancelled Sad

Anyway good news is that the Empi one is actually a nice bit of kit, well made, sturdy, and fitted without any bother at all.

The instructions say that you'll need to trim around the shock mount to fit it, but my car had a Z-bar prior to the IRS conversion so it had all the holes needed near the shock mount already there :-

Last job of the day was to fit a rear Sway Bar, which was quick to fit as the engine and box are out and the car was already on axle stands.

carl4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karman Ghia Build (UK) Reply with quote

Refurbished the speedometer face this week. The Speedo was reading about 15% over the actual speed and I didn't want to wait the 6 week & £100+ that the professionals wanted to recalibrate it. So I tried another approach.

1) Take a photo of the current speedo & disassemble speedo

2) Upload to Powerpoint, use the photo as a template and create a drawing of a new speedo face, but with the markers +15%
Feel free to add Wolfsburg logo to speedo face Wink

3) Print out a couple of test pages on rough paper to get the scale right

4) When happy print out on photo quality setting on home printer onto Matt-self adhesive Vinyl sheet (cost 80p a sheet)

5) Fix to speedo, carefully use Stanley knife blade to cut out holes for odometer readings

It wasn't too hard, one evening to make the template, another to print & cut out then re-assemble. I'm quite pleased with the results, of course the proof will be when I drive the car & check the speed! But at least I have speed markers for every 10mph increment now. The old 914 dial only had numbers every 30mph which made glancing down at your speed a bit of a headache.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karman Ghia Build (UK) Reply with quote

Way to think outside of the box!! Brilliant Idea
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Saltgrinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karman Ghia Build (UK) Reply with quote

I've just been reading through your build , Nice car dude, I like the solid colour.
How's the red9 front end going ? I want to sort my Ghia with a decent front suspension as I'm used to my daily drive sbug which has an adjustable mac-strut.
Richard
carl4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karman Ghia Build (UK) Reply with quote

The Red9 is going good thanks, not without it's teething problems but it's been worth it for the vastly improved ride & steering
Saltgrinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karman Ghia Build (UK) Reply with quote

That's good to hear , I like the idea of a bolt in unit . The less mods you do to a chassis here in Australia the better , licensing can be a pain in the butt
carl4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karman Ghia Build (UK) Reply with quote

Had a busy couple of weekends sorting out the new fuel line, I originally ran an aluminium alloy one but it was so soft that it had big chunks out of it from just feeding through the bulkheads. So bit the bullet and decided to do it all again with 3/8 copper nickel which has proved x10 stronger !

The line runs on the opposite side of the tunnel to the brake line and is secured with p clips and riv-nuts to the tunnel. It tucks under the passenger footrest so is nice & out of the way before emerging the other side protected with rubber grommets where it goes through the Napoleon's hat section.
It appears under the back of the car just above the torsion housing and is p-clipped to the bottom of the luggage area. Braided AN-6 line takes it to a bulkhead fitting into the engine bay for easy connect/disconnect. You can also see the new rear brake pipe I made to make sure the new fuel line didn't interfere with it.

(it's getting quite busy under the back seat Smile )

Almost ready to fit the new rebuilt gearbox, just replacing the Bowden tube and clutch cable as a precaution whilst everything is out.

carl4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karman Ghia Build (UK) Reply with quote

Gearbox is in Very Happy However gearbox is a late IRS type so the clutch cable is too short Brick wall

So a 72-74 clutch cable has been bought which is 21mm longer, this means I have to fit it, which involves taking the pedal assembly off (never tried that before) My word what a mess underneath the pedals! (the stuff on the tunnel is upholstery glue) it looked relatively clean before, amazing what can lie lurking in the corners...

The RHD pedals are very different than the LHD, they are bolted to the floor at the far end, and there also seems to be what looks like a crude brake pedal stop bolted to the floor with a single bolt, anyone know if that's what it's for?
Cable is fed through now so next to do is clean, paint, re-assemble and check the new cable works.

EDIT - just found out the floor bolt is exactly what I thought it was Smile

(picture courtesy of VW-resource.com)
carl4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karman Ghia Build (UK) Reply with quote

Gearbox, starter and new clutch cable are now in, new stronger grey mounts front & back, pedal cluster cleaned, painted, refitted, adjusted brake pedal freeplay and the clutch & brake pedals now line up for the first time! we're getting there...

DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karman Ghia Build (UK) Reply with quote

That's an awesome set up! You will have a great suspension set up!
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carl4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karman Ghia Build (UK) Reply with quote

DONGKG wrote:
That's an awesome set up! You will have a great suspension set up!

thanks, sure hope all this work gives me some improvements Smile
carl4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karman Ghia Build (UK) Reply with quote

New Kennedy stage 1 clutch cover plate fitted, remembered the wavy washers this time Embarassed

And back in she goes

Trouble is now the gearbox brace is in the way of where the old oil cooler was, plus I have a oil thermostatic bi-pass valve to fit as well. So got to find somewhere else to fit all that lot now Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: