Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Schnorr Washers
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACVWB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Schnorr Washers Reply with quote

Well I am almost finished rebuilding my cv joints and I am ready to reassemble. When I took my CV joint bolts out, there were not any schnorr washers or any type of washers on the bolts for that matter. From what I have heard, VW originally put schnorr washers between the bolt and the CV boot. I would like to but the get some schnorr washers to put back in place but my local fastener stores do not carry them in stock. This only poses a problem as I am trying to make a VW show this weekend and need to get the car reassembled. Is it imperative that I wait and get the schnorr washers or could I use lock washers temporarily or could I use some Loctite blue or even just put the bolts back in the way they were with nothing on them. Any advice would be appreciated.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Order up the washers from McMaster and put them on when you get back from your show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71superAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The washers just help to seal in the grease and seal out the dirt.

You can run without them, just make sure to check your seal. If you have something you can seal them up with in the meantime, do it. You don't want to have to regrease your joints just because you drove to a show.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I worked on an IRS Bug, but there should definitely be washers there. In addition, under the washers there is a plate which spans every two bolts; i.e. there are three plates on each CV joint.

The Bentley manual just says "lock washer", but the picture is too small for me to make out what kind they are. I think I've just used regular spring-type split lock washers in the past, but maybe someone else can chime in.
71superAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schnoors give a better seal and the ribs give a very strong grip, but they are one-time usable. Once you undo the bolts, you need new washers.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The washers actually provide better "bite" into the harder metal torque spreader bars and help maintain the correct torque on the bolts.

I would go to the show without them but would have my correct 8mm triplesquare socket and torque wrench with me. Check the torque after about 100 miles or when you get to the show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71superAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
The washers actually provide better "bite" into the harder metal torque spreader bars and help maintain the correct torque on the bolts.

I would go to the show without them but would have my correct 8mm triplesquare socket and torque wrench with me. Check the torque after about 100 miles or when you get to the show.

Yeah, you should do this even with the washers. Sometimes torquing them wrong leads to them loosening up substantially. Always check your torque after your first mid-length drive!

I had an old, tired, 1987 Corolla for a few months and I had to replace a tire. I didn't check my lug torque after and I had to pull over hard in traffic when my wheel was falling off a couple hours later. Embarassed
ACVWB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will defiantly get the schnorr washers, but to get to the show this weekend what would you recommend? Regular washers, lock washers, loctite or nothing?
71superAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regular washers will work fine, no loctite or anything needed. Just listen to Randy and bring your torque wrench, check the bolts when you get to the show.
ACVWB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: