Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which body dolly is best? (pics)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Which body dolly is best? (pics) Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to remove the body on my '66 project. I've seen 2 kinds of body dollies I like. I'm wondering which would be best to copy. Any advnatage of one over the other? The major difference is the distance between the 4X4 posts that the body sits on - one is a little wider than the other, so one body pretty much sits on the posts even with the fender wells. Any opinions or advice is appreciated. (thanks to the guys whose dollies I'm posting pictures of as a reference!)

Body dolly A:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Body dolly B:

"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cousin of a Porsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the one that build the second one. They are pretty much the same. I builds mine so the body rested on the heater channels with the ability to move the body forward and backwards to get to all the metal under the channels. Also I had to keep it short so everything would fit in my garage. I will say I like the wooden reinforcement on the top one. I tried to use metal brackets and ended up using additional wood supports. One more thing, get the biggest wheels you can. Mine are from harbor freight, they work good but it is tough getting back in the garage because the little step at the garage door.
Alte Schule Vintage and Performance VW club
BKC #022 (Well at least that is what the jacket says)
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks. Does your rolling pan fit underneath your dolly? I know those casters are rated for different weights. I'd better get something heavy duty, maybe rated between 750 to 1000 lbs to be safe?
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolly A will leave you room to weld in heater channels if you have to.
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily my heater channels don't need replacing. Any other thoughts out there?? Anyone?? Anxious
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a lift so no need to roll the body over the chassis...just lift it up,,roll it outta the way and place it on a roller cart.

see my "gallery" for more pics other than the website.
66vwkaferresto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opted for the longer version so that I would have access to my heater channels... I think either will serve your purpose.

66vwkaferresto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide the long version works here's a link to how I put mine together for a point of reference.

http://66vwkaferresto.com/2011/10/17/body-cart-construction/
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the link. That'll help. I'm also going with the longer version. Although it's going to be set on top of dirt (not by choice), so putting casters on the bottom won't help. Hopefully I get a concrete slab poured and I can then put casters on. Right now my work space is going to be my back yard, and I have one of those metal carports scheduled to be put up for my project.
NCdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

post some pics when you can.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66vwkaferresto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if it goes on dirt there is a solution... below is a link to Harbor Frieght and the 10" pneumatic caster they offer. Just shorten the upright 4x4's to adjust for the added height of the wheel and you are set.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-pneumatic-swivel-caster-38944.html

Good luck!
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this with my granddaughter, in about 20 min. Its the longer one so I can work on my heater channels and roll the pan under it. I added 2x4 gussets at each corner for strength and added safety . Not pictured.

AZ65CalBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run one like this.. never had issues. Even moving it, it never felt like it was going to fold over.

The problem I had before with legotech7 design was if those tiny wheels got into a crack and I was pushing it, the dolly felt like it was going to fold..

I then added braces and larger tires. MAN! Is it nice!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

66vwkaferresto wrote:
Even if it goes on dirt there is a solution... below is a link to Harbor Frieght and the 10" pneumatic caster they offer. Just shorten the upright 4x4's to adjust for the added height of the wheel and you are set.

Good luck!

I thought about the pneumatic tires, but my plans are to put a concrete slab within the carport frame so I can use my jack & jackstands for the chassis...but it's still something I might try - thanks.

az67calbug wrote:
I've run one like this.. never had issues. Even moving it, it never felt like it was going to fold over.

Thanks for the detailed pics & measurements. Looks very sturdy! I might have to "borrow" your idea! Wink
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already put mine to the test. My garage floor has no cracks and I can do a 360 with it in my garage. But I agree I would much rather have the bigger wheels. Mine are 3 inches and work well...
AZ65CalBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I built our house and they said they would not put any expansion joints in.. But they did! I was so bummed. My neighbor doesn't have any and it's nice. That is one reason I went the 6" wheel. But yeah I can wheel it around even on the driveway with no problems.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an older house...the garage floors have BIG freaking cracks. Some are about 2 inches wide in places - shoddy work when pouring the floor, I guess.
clarkster75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone give some measurements? One, the height needed to clear the pan. Two, width. Three, length to front/back of pan.
I think I would like to copy the one made of 4x4's that the black beetle is on but it looks a bit high.
I would hate to make it too high/too low and have to redo it.
Any info, thanks in advance.
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Car Dolly Reply with quote

The one that you see with the black bug, is exactly like the one I made for mine. My granddaughter helped with mine. Worked out perfect. Can't recall the dimensions off hand.... But easy to build. you can build it High enough and wide enough to roll the pan underneath to save space while your working on your ride.......
fred69vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

66vwkaferresto wrote:

Good luck!

Just a note.....if your get these casters, put Slime in the tires. If you don't they WILL leak down (mine did) and you can't roll the dolly with flat tires.

1969 VW convertible, "Heidi"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: