Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia curtains
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
colins84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would take some time and show you all the new curtains that my mother made for my Westy. I proposed the idea to her, as she made all of my child-hood clothing, I figured that she would love to sew some curtains for me. I took the old curtains out (PO's mom made this set 13 years ago) and gave them to her. Showed her the wiki for the measurements, and she went to town!

For material, we went with a polyester curtain with a polyester lining. This way they will not fade in the sun like all of those cotton curtains out their, and they won't shrink if you wash them. She made all the standard curtains first, and they are awesome!

One thing I was really concerned about was the curtain ribbon. This is what the hooks go through to hold it to the track. On the wiki, it talks about reusing the old ribbon, or making your own. Neither of these were a very good option for me. I found some ribbon online:
http://www.curtain-tracks.com/recmar-3096-wrinkle-band-tape-shirring-tape.html
This ribbon worked great. Detailed pictures to come.

Thanks to my Mom for all the Hard work! (my dad helped measure as well)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The detail in this job is amazing! When you close any of the curtains, the chevron pattern lines up on the seam! Example on the rear hatch:

Now, for the front driver/passenger area, I did not want the standard snap in curtain. We came up with a plan for a curtain track in the front. Here is how that turned out:

Drivers side:

Center: (right where the rear view mirror is)

Passenger side:

I was concerned that with all that material, when the curtains were open, I might not be able to see out the driver and passenger windows. Didn't turn out to be a problem. No view obstruction when you are sitting in the seats. Here is what they look like open:
Driver:

Passenger:

The track that I used I got through Bus Depot:
http://www.busdepot.com/j18860
I had to soften the plastic track with my propane heater and re-form it to go around the corner. I also put a small twist in the track to follow the contour of the headliner. The kit from BD was great. It came with twice as much track than I needed, so I had some to practice on making the corner.

Visor Closes just fine:

Here you can see the flat head screw with the hook pull. I drill into the headliner with 1/16", and I drilled through the track with 5/64". That way the head of the screw would sit nicely in the track without catching the hook pull.

Close up of the Ribbon tape with the new track and a pic with the original track as well:

The last thing we did was make all new straps!

Because we made permanent front curtains, we made 3 of the straps that go on pillar C on the drivers side. The extra 2 I installed on pillar B on both driver and passenger side, and they turned out perfect!
carpleo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: 1984 Wetsfalia / Vanagon Reply with quote

New to the Westy world and loving my time out and about in my van. But, I Would love to know if anyone has a pattern for curtains and suggestions for bypassing the track? HELP~
vela123321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
I've uploaded the Westfalia curtain PDF to my server; if anyone needs it, click here (still need to add Debbie's dimensions for the early vans).

I also dug up my notes from when I made mine. I changed the finished dimensions from Westfalia's; should anyone desire them, here they are:

Kitchen window
Width: 24" (if I did it over, I'd make them 25")
Height: 20-1/4"

Closet window - front
Width: 18" (as opposed to the original 30" -- that was way too much curtain for such a small space, IMO)

Closet window - rear
Width: 27-1/2"

Sliding door window
(Didn't make one... yet)

Rear passenger window - front
Width: 27-1/2"

Rear passenger window - rear
Width: 18" (as opposed to the original 30" -- that was way too much curtain for such a small space, IMO)

Hatch window
Width: 30"
Height: 23-1/4"

Windshield/front doors
(Didn't make one)

All side hems are 1" (as opposed to Westfalia's 1/2") for A) a more uniform look, B) to use magnets instead of snaps, and C) to use magnets to "stick" the "loose" curtain sides to the wall of the van. There are also magnets inside the bottom hems (except for the hatch, obviously)

I used marine-grade vinyl for the straps: I wanted contrasting, but complementary straps, while also being durable... and I was tired of sewing (cut, pop in the snap, screw into van, done). Razz

Thanks for this... I hope I'm not making a mistake... but I'm thinking of trying to learn sewing by making my Vanagon curtains!

1987 Westfalia Vanagon 2.1 automatic
2014 VW TDi Jetta Sportwagen (Dieselgate)
2016 BMW 328i

1967 Bug... given to a friend
others not VW... Toyota, Audi, Volvo, Datsun, International Harvester
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LandSailor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Snap On Slider Curtain Reply with quote

I just bought a new set of curtains from Sewfine through a special they advertised on Facebook in the Vanagon groups. They offer an option of making the slider curtain snap onto the door directly over the window. This will give us a lot more room when it's deployed.
DLJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: curtains Reply with quote

shops------- The tie back you ask about is not for the slider door drape. It goes in back on driver side and holds rear side window and middle window drape. (C pillar) Someone probably mixed them up somewhere along the line.
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia curtains Reply with quote

Got new home made curtains as a birthday gift yesterday, very happy with them. Material is heavy, seems to block out lots of light which is nice. Did a test install on one set and they look great! Wife's first time using her new sewing machine.
gene l
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia curtains Reply with quote

I have been preparing to make my own curtains, happy to find this thread.
I needed some of these specifications.

gene l
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadetreetim wrote:
Reading through this thread inspires me to make some real curtains for my Bluestar. I cutout the insulated material and attached with rare earth magnets...

Hey, Shadetree Tim-- I've still got my original Westy curtains, but would love to have some like yours to use as a second layer for colder weather camping. Where did you get your 'insulated material' and did you glue the magnets onto the material? What was your pattern for cutting the material-- just the outline for the glass, inside the rubber window gaskets? If that, where do the magnets grab onto metal? And should I assume that you just store them flat, somewhere like over the engine, under the thick pad, when not in use? Any other helpful hints on making a set of these? (And if you've finished your cloth-curtain project and still have the old foil-insulated ones and want to sell them, let me know!) Thanks -pinetreeporsche (We tree-folk have to stick together [;>)
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia curtains Reply with quote

Still waiting for Spring to arrive but getting itchy to do some Vanagon stuff!

Made a set of curtains for the new to us Tin Top, it needs more work than the curtains but it cold outside
and making the curtains is easy. Starting to collect and order parts for the bus the Wife so aptly named Tin Can.
I added the rails for slide curatins on four of the eight windows and used snaps on the front and slider windows.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinetreeporsche wrote:
Hey, Shadetree Tim-- I've still got my original Westy curtains, but would love to have some like yours to use as a second layer for colder weather camping. Where did you get your 'insulated material' and did you glue the magnets onto the material? What was your pattern for cutting the material-- just the outline for the glass, inside the rubber window gaskets? If that, where do the magnets grab onto metal? And should I assume that you just store them flat, somewhere like over the engine, under the thick pad, when not in use? Any other helpful hints on making a set of these? (And if you've finished your cloth-curtain project and still have the old foil-insulated ones and want to sell them, let me know!) Thanks -pinetreeporsche (We tree-folk have to stick together [;>)

Material is Reflectix for most, just silver backed bubble wrap essentially.

I made my set and just traced over the window. Make sure that the magnets will be able to attach to the steel around (the aluminum frame on the sliders won't work!).

I store mine either above the engine bay, or on top of the top bunk folded.

Search reflectix on here and you'll likely get a lot more information.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
There are also magnets inside the bottom hems (except for the hatch, obviously)

Hmmmm.......
I'm working on curtains now and need to make a decision but need the secret ......obvious to NOT use magnets for the hatch.... how so?
Do they catch and hide your 10mm socket?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:
There are also magnets inside the bottom hems (except for the hatch, obviously)

Hmmmm.......
I'm working on curtains now and need to make a decision but need the secret ......obvious to NOT use magnets for the hatch.... how so?
Do they catch and hide your 10mm socket?

The bottom and top hems for the hatch curtains ride on the Westy curtain rods. Wink The side hems have magnets to keep the two hatch curtains closed.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia curtains Reply with quote

I was inclined to delete the bottom rod using magnets on the bottom and sides.

This won't work as well as everywhere else?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia curtains Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I was inclined to delete the bottom rod using magnets on the bottom and sides.

This won't work as well as everywhere else?

That should work fine. Just keep the sliding of the curtains (against the hatch) at the bottom to a minimum so that you don't wear out the fabric (where the magnets reside) prematurely.🍺
2016 Golf GTI S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia curtains Reply with quote

OK so is this a magnetic curtains “pro-tip” ?
From longtime magnetic curtain users?

Pull magnets away, don’t slide them or it wears a hole in the fabric.

Wondering if sleeping, do you knock them off with your feet? (dreaming of Bruce Lee kung fu etc...)

Last edited by Sodo on Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia curtains Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

An alternative to capturing magnets in the seam would be using E6000 or contact cement to attach the magnets to the fabric. FWIW...it may have an application in this project.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia curtains Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Yep!🍺

Sodo wrote:
Wondering if sleeping, do you knock them off with your feet? (dreaming of Bruce Lee kung fu etc...)

Nope; but I don't do Bruce Lee moves in my sleep.😆

jimf909 wrote:
An alternative to capturing magnets in the seam would be using E6000 or contact cement to attach the magnets to the fabric. FWIW...it may have an application in this project.

If the magnets will be slid across the paint, they could scratch it.😬
2016 Golf GTI S
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia curtains Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

jimf909 wrote:

If the magnets will be slid across the paint, they could scratch it.😬

I kinda figured this would be raised. Simply glue some felt to the magnet. Definitely not the right solution in all cases but a possible solution for some applications.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia curtains Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

I kinda figured this would be raised. Simply glue some felt to the magnet.

That would work.👍🏻
2016 Golf GTI S
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia curtains Reply with quote

1. Love the magnets
2. Wish my only van problem was wondering whether the fabric under the magnets on my curtains might wear out in 10 years.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: