Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia curtains
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
onefred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Years ago I ignorantly bought this set of camper curtains thinking that I'd use them as templates for reproduction as a grey set for my Bluestar. Unfortunately when the box arrived, I just verified that everything in the ebay ad was there and then promptly placed the whole pile on a shelf for the next half decade. Now I'd like to sell them to a camper person, but have no idea whether these are factory or some kind of aftermarket thing. For whatever reason, there are two of the large front window curtains, and they're a slightly lighter shade of brown and made of a thinner fabric than the others.

The general dimensions are a little different than those listed here and also, there's only one curtain with the drapery strip at the top, so I'm really confused about what I have...l'il help?

Here are the pieces in the set:

1 each) 28" x 21" w/drapery strip and velcro strip on side (1)
2 each) 32" x 21" w/tube fold and velcro strip on side (1)
5 each) 28" x 21" w/tube fold and velcro strip on side (1)
2 each) 28" x 23" w/tube fold, snaps and velcro strip on side (2)

2 each) 132" x 28" w/elastic sewn into the top along with snaps (4) and snaps along each side (1)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These are the two very large front curtains.

Here you can sorta see the color/fabric difference between the front curtain and the rest.

Apparently these curtains are designed to be hung via these long elastic cords, but I'm not sure if that's factory Westfalia or not.

Hello, possible to have pictures ?

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia curtains Reply with quote

weekender curtain dimensions from this thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=661256

h00drat wrote:
I did some searching and I don't think this exists yet, so I figured I'd share in case it helps someone else out in the future.

have this 1987 Wolfsburg Weekender that didn't come with with the factory curtains. Most of the snaps are there, and all of the rotating clips are there.

So, I'm going to make some.

My wife's grandma is a great seamstress, so she'll be doing the sewing. I'll be placing the snaps and grommets after they're made to make sure everything lines up and is tight.

Attached is my first go at the templates. I'm debating between running the front curtain all the way to the floor in the walkway, or just going straight across. Straight across is a simple design and probably won't let too much light through.

We were leaning towards a grommet of some kind on the bottom as I don't know what was originally there. Any input on that?

Also, any input on fabric? I'm leaning towards a dark blue, but not sure of the weight or material I should be after.

And lastly, any input on the templates in general is appreciated.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia curtains Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Wonder if magnets on the bin doors can attach to the curtain magnets.

Glued in or sewn in? Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia curtains Reply with quote

To-do list is horrendous.......
Wonder if magnets on the bin doors can attach to the curtain magnets.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia curtains Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Looking forward to removing the spring-things.
I think I can leave the one that holds the storage bin covers open.

Think magnets. Or gas springs. I've seen a few posts showing gas springs holding the storage bin covers open.

You're welcome, the to-do list looked a bit short. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia curtains Reply with quote

My tiny neodymium magnets don't hold very hard with cloth between them and the steel, but they easily hold the curtains up with the hatch up.
Not sure what problem that would cause if the curtains fell.
Most of the time they's be bunched up and snapped anyway.

I'm about halfway done sewing magnets into the hems.
I really doubt you could wear out the fabric.
Maybe on the slider door, if the magnets were really strong... when you open the door they slide on the painted steel.
But the tiny magnets I'm using would never wear out the fabric even in daily use.

Pretty easy to use washer-type magnets, you just sew a little dot in the hole.
could do it easily by hand, all it takes is just a couple pokes thru then tie a knot.
All it needs to do is keep the magnets in their place, otherwise they would slide and then stick together in a clump.
But I've been using the sewing machine (lazy ass).

Looking forward to removing the spring-things.
I think I can leave the one that holds the storage bin covers open.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia curtains Reply with quote

cmayna wrote:
When the hatch is opened, with the curtain closed, will there be too much stress on the magnets, causing the curtains to pull away and fall down?

Not if using neodymium magnets.🍺
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia curtains Reply with quote

When the hatch is opened, with the curtain closed, will there be too much stress on the magnets, causing the curtains to pull away and fall down?

Craig
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia curtains Reply with quote

1. Love the magnets
2. Wish my only van problem was wondering whether the fabric under the magnets on my curtains might wear out in 10 years.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia curtains Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

I kinda figured this would be raised. Simply glue some felt to the magnet.

That would work.👍🏻
2016 Golf GTI S
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia curtains Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

jimf909 wrote:
An alternative to capturing magnets in the seam would be using E6000 or contact cement to attach the magnets to the fabric. FWIW...it may have an application in this project.

If the magnets will be slid across the paint, they could scratch it.😬

I kinda figured this would be raised. Simply glue some felt to the magnet. Definitely not the right solution in all cases but a possible solution for some applications.

Abscate wrote:

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia curtains Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
OK so is this a magnetic curtains “pro-tip” ?
From longtime magnetic curtain users?

Pull magnets away, don’t slide them or it wears a hole in the fabric.

Yep!🍺

Sodo wrote:
Wondering if sleeping, do you knock them off with your feet? (dreaming of Bruce Lee kung fu etc...)

Nope; but I don't do Bruce Lee moves in my sleep.😆

jimf909 wrote:
An alternative to capturing magnets in the seam would be using E6000 or contact cement to attach the magnets to the fabric. FWIW...it may have an application in this project.

If the magnets will be slid across the paint, they could scratch it.😬
2016 Golf GTI S
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia curtains Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Abscate wrote:

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia curtains Reply with quote

Wondering if sleeping, do you knock them off with your feet? (dreaming of Bruce Lee kung fu etc...)

Last edited by Sodo on Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia curtains Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I was inclined to delete the bottom rod using magnets on the bottom and sides.

This won't work as well as everywhere else?

That should work fine. Just keep the sliding of the curtains (against the hatch) at the bottom to a minimum so that you don't wear out the fabric (where the magnets reside) prematurely.🍺
2016 Golf GTI S
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia curtains Reply with quote

I was inclined to delete the bottom rod using magnets on the bottom and sides.

This won't work as well as everywhere else?

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:
There are also magnets inside the bottom hems (except for the hatch, obviously)

Hmmmm.......
I'm working on curtains now and need to make a decision but need the secret ......obvious to NOT use magnets for the hatch.... how so?
Do they catch and hide your 10mm socket?

The bottom and top hems for the hatch curtains ride on the Westy curtain rods. Wink The side hems have magnets to keep the two hatch curtains closed.
2016 Golf GTI S
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
There are also magnets inside the bottom hems (except for the hatch, obviously)

Hmmmm.......
I'm working on curtains now and need to make a decision but need the secret ......obvious to NOT use magnets for the hatch.... how so?
Do they catch and hide your 10mm socket?

michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinetreeporsche wrote:
Hey, Shadetree Tim-- I've still got my original Westy curtains, but would love to have some like yours to use as a second layer for colder weather camping. Where did you get your 'insulated material' and did you glue the magnets onto the material? What was your pattern for cutting the material-- just the outline for the glass, inside the rubber window gaskets? If that, where do the magnets grab onto metal? And should I assume that you just store them flat, somewhere like over the engine, under the thick pad, when not in use? Any other helpful hints on making a set of these? (And if you've finished your cloth-curtain project and still have the old foil-insulated ones and want to sell them, let me know!) Thanks -pinetreeporsche (We tree-folk have to stick together [;>)

Material is Reflectix for most, just silver backed bubble wrap essentially.

I made my set and just traced over the window. Make sure that the magnets will be able to attach to the steel around (the aluminum frame on the sliders won't work!).

I store mine either above the engine bay, or on top of the top bunk folded.

Search reflectix on here and you'll likely get a lot more information.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia curtains Reply with quote

Still waiting for Spring to arrive but getting itchy to do some Vanagon stuff!

Made a set of curtains for the new to us Tin Top, it needs more work than the curtains but it cold outside
and making the curtains is easy. Starting to collect and order parts for the bus the Wife so aptly named Tin Can.
I added the rails for slide curatins on four of the eight windows and used snaps on the front and slider windows.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: