Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Changing pop top springs on a Riviera
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Changing pop top springs on a Riviera Reply with quote

Anyone got some valid ideas for changing the springs. I've tried it and it is a very physical thing. Would a come along work. I need to change all 4 and need to know how to do it. Or can it even be done?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: an idea Reply with quote

Hi
First let me say that I failed trying to put my springs on myself. It was a two person job in my eyes and I was alone.

So my idea for what is worth. I had just finished rebuilding my ASI top. My thought was to prop the top up using blocks of wood so that I would have complete access to the springs. I was then going to have a friend stabilize the bar end of the spring while I used a spring puller (6 bucks at harbor freight) to pull the other end into place.

I gave up because I knew I was going to send the van to north-westy for some work and I was going to have them do it. Probably an 8 minute job for them.

One tip I got from north-westy for you when you do this. Put a rubber hose around each spring before installing them. It will keep the noise down when they when bouncing around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: