Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Difficult to Solve Reduction Box Leak
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Difficult to Solve Reduction Box Leak Reply with quote

I've had reduction boxes on my Baja Bug for about 20 years now. Originally I had them mounted upright, but I switched to a laydown configuration about 10 years ago.

The passenger side has had a problem with leaking pretty much the entire time. I've replaced the seals several times and replaced the spacers once and I have never been able to completely solve the problem.

Someone suggested that the bearing may need to be replaced. They said to check the stub axle to see if it wobbled around when I grab it...it does not.

I purchased NOS bearings for both sides and new spacers, but I'm not really sure if that will solve the problem.

As you can see by the pictures, everything has been coated with gear oil inside the brakes and more gear oil has leaked down the back of the backing plate. The moment I removed the axle nut to take off the drum, I could see oil under the nut.

BTW, the bearing cap has been rotated 90 degrees so the drain hole is still at the bottom. A hole was also added to the backing plate to line up with the bearing cap drain hole.

If anyone has any other ideas as to why this keeps leaking, I would be glad to listen.

Thanks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will not likely be very helpful, but it is the best I can suggest.

Check to make sure the bearing cap is the correct cap, should start will a 211 part number.

The leak appears to be coming from the axle seal/spacer area, not the bearing cap to backing plate area. The outside spacer, inner diameter should have a chamfer facing inward with a O-ring seal squished between the inner bearing race and the spacer. This O-ring seal should seat (Inner Diameter) on a straight part of the axle stub and not over a splined area for the oil to pass under the seal in the splines.

Most common leak I have observed has been from a poor seal on the spacer and the oil passes through the ID of the spacer.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has the correct bearing cap and the O-ring was in place.
c.davis419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 65 Westy 20 years ago with the same problem. After resealing the box multiple times, changing end caps and bearings I finally changed the stub axle itself and that cured it. I never could see any damage or reason the axle was causing the leak but it worked... Confused
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c.davis419 wrote:
I had a 65 Westy 20 years ago with the same problem. After resealing the box multiple times, changing end caps and bearings I finally changed the stub axle itself and that cured it. I never could see any damage or reason the axle was causing the leak but it worked... Confused

Wow! I hope I don't have to replace mine. They are the super rare late 1963 one ton optional reduction gears.

Same ratio as 1964 to 1967 Buses, but for the small nut drums. It would be very hard to find another set.
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE

Well, another leak has developed on the passenger side reduction box. A leak that seems to be at least as bad as the old leak it had before all the work I put into fixing it.

Right now my frustration level is through the roof!

At this point I don't know if there was any value in adding the vents to the reduction boxes, but I doubt if that could have caused the new leak.

Nothing is dripping down the back of the backing plates. It just seems to drip off the bottom of the brake drum. Gear oil is getting all over the inside of the rim and I'm sure another set of break shoes have been ruined.

I do not know what I need to do to solve this leak once and for all!

I replaced all the bearing with NOS German ones, I cleaned every part to perfection and replaced all the seals and I installed new spacers.

I'm getting ready to throw in the towel with this problem.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something, and I do not know what, is a-miss.

I ran RGB's on a '59 SCab with a 2165 cc dual carb engine pushing it and acheived some horendous wheel hopping action to the point my gates would fall down. I rebuilt the RGB's before the large engine went in and never had a leak to this day.

Carefully take it apart and investigate every surface for a tail tale sign of the leak source. I have fixed a lot of leaking things on vehicles over the years, and there is always a source. Something is not correct. These just do not leak for something to do.

after taking the drum off, study closely the cap/seal area. Even wash it off with brake clean and study it to see where it re-appears from. Look at sealing surfaces with a straight edge for a warpped case or cap.

I always use a sealant on everything when putting together. No-setting sealant like Permatex Aviation sealant. I use it on all the transaxles I rebuild and none leak. I even use it on the axle O-ring seal.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refuse to let this beat me. As soon as my white-hot rage dissipates, I will pull off a drum and start looking at what is going on in there.

Nothing annoys me more than an oil leak, especially when I put so much time and money into fixing it with no results.

Last edited by thefladge on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more idea.

Clean the inside surface really good. Drive it a short distance and pull the drum off again. Maybe the leak will just be starting again and be traceable.

Best of luck.

The other pet peeve, for me, after the leaks, is a rattle. No leaks and no rattles make me think my ride is in better shape than it might be.

thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping I will have some time this weekend to pull off the drum and investigate the problem.

I suspect the oil is seeping past the rubber o-ring and spacer on the reduction gear stub axle. No oil is dripping down the back of the backing plate where the leak drain hole is located. It is leaking inside the brake area and dripping off the drum.
WilliamA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely sounds like the o-ring to me as well. Check well for micro-scratches. It doesn't take much. I always use emory cloth and oil to clean up the seal area on SA cars.... Of course the GRBs are an Exxon Valdez just looking for a reef.....
Let us know what you find. Don't give up! I'll be needing your advice when I try and get mine to quit drooling! I'm starting to lay in a large supply of booze just for that day....

WilliamA

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
dickcharlton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any luck on this?
I ran into the same problem years ago without ever figuring it out. I am of no help with this but I can tell you I ruined a few set of brakes. I have since picked up a set of 68 type 1 axles and housings and am planning on swapping back.
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickcharlton wrote:
any luck on this?
I ran into the same problem years ago without ever figuring it out. I am of no help with this but I can tell you I ruined a few set of brakes. I have since picked up a set of 68 type 1 axles and housings and am planning on swapping back.

No luck. It still leaks.
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Last month I went through everything again to try to solve the gear oil leak. I was forced to do some repairs when a wheel cylinder failed.

This time I used some German made Elring oil seals I bought from a Porsche supplier on Ebay.

I cleaned and repainted all the parts, straightened some slight irregularities in the backing plates and used Permatex Aviation sealant on everything. I made sure everything was laboratory clean during assembly.

When finished, I filled each reduction box with 8.5 ounces of gear oil.

A month later and no leaks. I'm am hoping it stays this way.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winner!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
WilliamA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! This discovery may change the world!

Like keeping pigeons out of the back porch, perseverance is mostly vigilance mixed with boredom!

WilliamA

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
wyattsdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

was this all done with synthetic gear oil?
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wyattsdad wrote:
was this all done with synthetic gear oil?

No. Real gear oil. Sta-Lube.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: