Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

4 tip Exhausts
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cj1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: 4 tip Exhausts Reply with quote

Anyone know of any other '50's brands of 4 tip exhaust either than Abarth???
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lukey (australia) made at least 2 styles of 36hp 4 tip. one was definately available in the 50's.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the other (later?) version looks like an abarth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw57drvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 MPG better fuel economy? Dang. I need a 4 tip for all my cars.
lovinbronx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

henry roberts wrote:
lukey (australia) made at least 2 styles of 36hp 4 tip. one was definately available in the 50's.

the other (later?) version looks like an abarth.

Anyone know what other changes were made to the muffler apart from the 4 tip against a standard one?. Looking to replicate this for my Okrasa

Dan
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried calling lukey themselves a year or so ago but the person i talked to said they had no info on them, if you live near the company it might be worth going in and trying in person though.

failing that, unless you can find one that is falling apart rusty and cut it open or can find a good one and a bore scope or similar to look inside it, I don't think we'll ever know.

i think I've seen 3 (2 36hp and one 40hp 4 tip, all with 2 pairs of pipes not 4 centre pipes) in 19 years so even finding one might be a bit of a challenge.

edit, I think the Jack Meyers listed as the Sydney dealer in the add, was the great uncle of a member here... who happens to own a little inspection camera on a stick... I can see a plan forming.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lovinbronx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

henry roberts wrote:
i tried calling lukey themselves a year or so ago but the person i talked to said they had no info on them, if you live near the company it might be worth going in and trying in person though.

failing that, unless you can find one that is falling apart rusty and cut it open or can find a good one and a bore scope or similar to look inside it, I don't think we'll ever know.

i think I've seen 3 (2 36hp and one 40hp 4 tip, all with 2 pairs of pipes not 4 centre pipes) in 19 years so even finding one might be a bit of a challenge.

edit, I think the Jack Meyers listed as the Sydney dealer in the add, was the great uncle of a member here... who happens to own a little inspection camera on a stick... I can see a plan forming.

Cheers for the info mate much appreciated.

Dan
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovinbronx wrote:
henry roberts wrote:

edit, I think the Jack Myers listed as the Sydney dealer in the add, was the great uncle of a member here... who happens to own a little inspection camera on a stick... I can see a plan forming.

Dan

yes, this could possibly have been my great uncle.. ill investigate into this
lovinbronx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-train wrote:
lovinbronx wrote:
henry roberts wrote:

edit, I think the Jack Myers listed as the Sydney dealer in the add, was the great uncle of a member here... who happens to own a little inspection camera on a stick... I can see a plan forming.

Dan

yes, this could possibly have been my great uncle.. ill investigate into this

Cheers mate that would be great

Dan
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive talked to my grandfather and he confirmed this was Jack, he said Jack was a distributor as well as helped to design the exhausts. ive emailed lukey with this ad to see if they have any old info on these set ups too.

little reading on Great uncle Jack
http://aussieroadracing.homestead.com/Jack-MyersP1.html

smart guy thats for sure
lovinbronx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-train wrote:
ive talked to my grandfather and he confirmed this was Jack, he said Jack was a distributor as well as helped to design the exhausts. ive emailed lukey with this ad to see if they have any old info on these set ups too.

little reading on Great uncle Jack
http://aussieroadracing.homestead.com/Jack-MyersP1.html

smart guy thats for sure

Thanks for the info mate much appreciated

Dan
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone find anything else out about this exhaust? Even just more pics of it. I would love to do a replica.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no more info about these.
Sadly my grandfather passed away quickly recently so everything I was trying to find out is now not available..
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for your loss
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: 4 tip Exhausts Reply with quote

Thanks laydout.
I should have more info soon about the lukey exhausts...
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: 4 tip Exhausts Reply with quote

I should have the 4tip by mid next week.

Then I'll map it all out and replicate one for my daily.
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: 4 tip Exhausts Reply with quote

Finally a box arrived. I won't lie. I actually had a bit of a moment opening this box and memories of grandpa came back talking about it. It's been cut for a later motor and had some rust over the years, but it is what it is. And I dare say I won't see another one for a while if ever.
Enough waffling, here's some pics.

It's a little smaller than another 36hp muffler I have, mind you its a repro so not sure if it's bang on.
It has a baffle on the inside and not equal length pipes which is strange I thought it would of been that at least.
For its age it's actually not too bad though, a few places of rust on the tailpipes but not a big deal. I'm thinking of mapping it all out and replicating it to run one, then preserve this one for what it is. Family heirloom..
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: 4 tip Exhausts Reply with quote

So stoked for you dion. It couldn't have found a better home.

I wouldn't be surprised if you never see another.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 tip Exhausts Reply with quote

That's awesome, thank you for sharing
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: 4 tip Exhausts Reply with quote

Well some will say it's only a bit of tin but obviously it's a lot more than that for you Dion. Heirlooms can take many forms but they're all personal links with real people.

Congratulations. Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56 VDUB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 tip Exhausts Reply with quote

Thats so cool to finally see it Dion, I know you've talked about it before! It's so cool that it has a family connection too! Wink

My 1956 RHD Aussie Beetle ll (o\!/o) ll

Sydney, Australia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: