Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

too hot in the van
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaneSpacely
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: too hot in the van Reply with quote

Hi All
what did you do to keep the heat down in your van this week end? it was over 100 here in Phila. I want to try and install a Van tastic Vent I have one in my Astro van and it did keep out a lot of the heat. I have never seen any type of power vent in a vanagon, has anyone done this? if so how do you mount it in a pop up top? the Astro van has a metal roof and this vent came with the van.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add Jalousie windows and the interior temps will not be much above the outside temp due to the excellent ventilation. And rain doesn't get in so you can leave them open all the time. Very Happy

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=283728&highlight=jalousie

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
silversync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinted windows and those windshield "silvered" sun shades help quite a bit.

Roland
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way is to keep the sun out in the first place - the van makes a mighty effective greenhouse! I have foil/bubble/bubble/foil insulation in the hatch window, rear side windows and driver's side middle window.

The day before doing the mod, interior temp was 125 F. The next day, interior temp was 85 F

Highly recommended.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AdrianC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been putting up with mid-high 30s (Celsius - so 100degF or so) for the last few weeks.

There's only so much you can do - anything's going to get warm inside in those ambients.

We use external silver thermal screens on the front windscreen and front side windows - they make a big difference, especially with the front windows rolled down behind them. Our tailgate window's been replaced with glass and has a silver bubble-wrap windscreen sheild behind the curtains. All the other side windows are Westy double-glazed.

Both roof vents (Westy high top) wide open makes a big difference, as does opening the kitchen window full, of course. But - even so - there's been nights we've had to sleep with the sliding door and tailgate both wide open.
www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Jake,

where to buy the foil bubble insulation?

thanks
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Menards
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
hi Jake,

where to buy the foil bubble insulation?

thanks

Mine came from Rona here in BC but any big building supply place will have it. It comes in rolls and is used to insulate how water heaters, vent ducting, etc.

I made tabs on mine from aluminium tape and use neodymium magnets to hold it to the body.

When we're parked for a bit, I have panels for the slider and the two front doors as well as a commercial window shade for the windshield. The skylight vent and a hatch stay complete the picture. Wink
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foil bubble wrap on all windows, cut to shape and suction cups holding them in place. Home Depot, etc.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had my windows tinted with this stuff...

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window...ive_Films/

Supposedly blocks 97% of the infrared but just 60% of visible light for keeping the insides cooler w/o cutting to much into visibility. It seems to help a lot when driving about on a sunny 105° day.

From many suppliers I might doubt the claims or at least view the numbers as optimistic but 3M usually knows what they're about.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a marine store you should be able to find solar vent/fan. They are made for the forehatch of boats and they don't let water in. They are driven by the sun. Excellent, I have 4 12v fans for my air conditioning when I'm driving and I'll run it for a wee while off my deep cell just before I go to bed. I don't have a skylight BUT it I was going to be keeping the van for years and years, I would mount the marine solar/fan vent to my pop top. Can't put anything up there anyway so it would be fine. I so want jalousies' for both middle windows and may put a cut down slider in rear passenger window. I use sunshades when parked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NZer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cheat and take the Subaru!! Has AC!
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: My Own Thoughts Reply with quote

Don't park in the sun, if possible. Often for me, that's not.

The jalousies help, tremendously. But with the jalousies open, the rear hatch popped and screened, and screens on the front windows with those down all the way, Winston has gotten up to 110 F on a 104 day. That's still... Plenty darn hot!

Shocked

Skylight, also screened, helps a bit... Insulation is good if it doesn't restrict airflow. The best improvement I've had since installing the jalousies came from Winston's new 3-window Atelier PK Sunbrella tent. That dropped the temperature about 5-10 degrees Fahrenheit with all the windows open.

I've thought about a fan in the skylight's hole--but hot air would be rising up and out, anyway. And on a truly hot day, just more hot air would be coming in.

I suppose one of those window-mounted externally-powered AC units is the ultimate solution. So far, I've just toughed it out.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Foil bubble wrap on all windows, cut to shape and suction cups holding them in place. Home Depot, etc.

DougM

Must be an echo in here...
www.thebassspa.com
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walmart has a mistymate rv sized deal with a hose that reaches the length of the van. This thing ifs 45 bucks but a god send until I fix the a/c. It puts out a fine mist and cools the air considerably. The gallon of water it holds last for hours and you'll never notice the interior getti.g wet because the mist evaporates before ittouches anything on 100 degree days.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could easily fabricate a panel to fit into one of the sliding windows and mount a solar vent to expel hot air. On the side of the van it likely won't be quite as efficient as on the top, but it would be easily removable when not needed and no permanent cutting through the roof.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I'm thinkig about it--and the title of this topic--

It'd be too damn hot to drive any vehicle without AC in this heat wave that we've been seening lately--

Don't go laying this one just on a Vanagon--

Get the AC fixed, or install one if you don't want to do a little sweating and feeling a little sticky.

Good thing you don't have plastic seat cover's to stick onto as you drive--or do you?

No solar vent, insulation , sunbrella canvas, window tint or water douche as you roll is gonna cure this overbearing heat phenomina.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad new's--But here in the real world--
AC is the only way--
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been driving around for the last couple days with no slider on the drivers side. Had a brain fart when ordering seals and got two windshield seals and one slider glass seal.

Anyway, noticed an obvious airflow difference and much cooler temperatures while driving. I am seriously considering the Jalousie window idea to open up the sides for more than the 1 ft square the slider provides.

Digging the foil bubble wrap idea though. Those who have it, how and where do you store it? Supposed rolled up in itself it probably is about the diameter of a large wine bottle and could go up top in folded bed?

LP
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the prefabricated insulated window covers from
Busdepot. They are made by JustKampers. Make a
huge difference in keeping temps stable inside. Edges
are bound and have suction cups to hold them in place.
Come in a nice storage bag.
The most noticeable change in helping keep cool while
parked is a cover for the front and side windows. By
putting the cover on top of the glass it keeps the sun
from creating the greenhouse effect that having a curtain
inside creates. Plus it has handy screens for the front
door windows built in with a cover that can be rolled down
for privacy. Purchased from Franchers upholstery.
an86carrera
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently installed two solar panels that cover most of the rear of the pop top and have an air gap between them and the fiberglass. Also, i covered the inside of pop top with foam-backed headliner that was about 3/16" thick. I noticed a considerable change in inside temps not sure which helped the most since the two things where done in the same day.
'08 Dodge 2500 diesel
'75 914
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: