Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage Splitty Photos
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 430, 431, 432  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
floyd1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
looks to have a lined (airtight?) compartment in the back like a refrigerator. Great pic as always Blue Baron
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
pyrOman wrote:

With the correctly installed Dormobil top, no less!!! Twisted Evil

would it not drip water on you every time you open the doors? with the roof hanging over the gutters like that?

Never have! Cool
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

RHD Notch wrote:

I just noticed that guy in the cargo area - sort of creepy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
RHD Notch wrote:

I just noticed that guy in the cargo area - sort of creepy

It looks like Ferdinand Porsche's ghost. Shocked That's a VW factory publicity photo, so probably a SO36 westy.

My 1963 RHD Martin Walter Dormobile has the roof hinging opposite side to the cargo doors; seems more sensible.

"Don't make a fuss, just get on the bus ..."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

only issue with having roof hinge on cargo door side is that it prevents attaching a westy tent. Dude looks slightly overdressed for camping with a suit and tie on

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

I'd say the vintage pic is of a 62, from the flat wheel wells and low cargo door hinges. WOB plate, so it's a promo picture. Euro spec 62s had bullet turn signals. That is a very early Dormobile conversion, so I expect they were still figuring this out; it is much better to be able to hang a tent on it. Somewhere I'd heard they started Dormy conversions of VWs in 63. guess this one is earlier.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

Is that not a tent rail of some sort just below the skylights?, likely doubles as a drip rail I would think.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

The metal plates below the skylights on the Martin Walter aka "Dormobile roof" and just that- metal plates. They are what the metal handle on the inside of the roof screws in to.

Sure would be interesting to try and secure a tent to that and add the additional weight of the steel poles and canvas.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

Ahhh..., nevermind, it's been a couple years since I've been up close and personal with one and I wasn't paying all that much attention when I was.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
The metal plates ... They are what the metal handle on the inside of the roof screws in to.

The handle you lift the top with.
(Probably most people have never been in one and lifted the top, since they are rather scarce in the US.)
What a glorious view to wake up to if you park the bus in the right place before sleeping. Probably the nicest top available new on a splitty back in the day.
I had a 1971 full Dormie and They are certainly different than a Westy.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I just noticed that guy in the cargo area ...

Didn't some Martin Walter setups have those seats that went every which way and also made a full bed?

The guy on the wall just asked the girl to go steady; you can tell by the way she holds the little bracelet box and her ankle.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
EverettB wrote:
I just noticed that guy in the cargo area ...

Didn't some Martin Walter setups have those seats that went every which way and also made a full bed?

Yes, for sure early 60's that said "Martin Walter".
There was a 66-7 velvet green Dormie nearby back in the 80's that I looked at to buy. (DUH! Could have!) I don't remember such an interior in that, but not sure I opened the door.
It resurfaced about 6 years ago, 2010ish, and it was barely recognizable. Lowered, frenched truck tail lights, alloys, brite metallic blue and the Dormie top. No interior. Some guy I knew was ripping out the wiring, replacing it all with yellow and red. (How hard it it to fix a splitty wire loom to factory spec? What maybe 10 wires, total?)
Kid sold it for big money. Ewww, so sad.
BTW, my 1971 had a jump seat that fit on 2 pegs in 2 possible locations. And it folded up rather like those early ones that had all 6 seats fold.
Al
Vanagons:
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

RHD Notch wrote:

It looks like Ferdinand Porsche's ghost. Shocked That's a VW factory publicity photo, so probably a SO36 westy.

My 1963 RHD Martin Walter Dormobile has the roof hinging opposite side to the cargo doors; seems more sensible.

Probably been discussed elsewhere. Bays were the same way: The Dormie built ones hinged opposite and in fact the opening was about a foot further forward. Don't know if the opening was in a different place on the splitties.
The Westy built ones with Dormie roofs had the roof on backwards and a foot further to the rear. (this on bays- don't know about the setback on splitties.
Al
Vanagons:
EeVeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

EeVeeWee wrote:

Interesting lot of goods they brought to market, including ... is it a w.c. or perhaps a bidet or bird bath? I see the one brother brought his own bike in order that he might get home faster.
Al
Vanagons:
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
... is it a w.c. or perhaps a bidet...

Who hasn't brought crap to a swap meet.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

Nice picture. 2 or 3 guys, could be brothers, late 1950's Netherlands, on Herman Costerstraat with near matching panelvans, apparently eeking out a living in the used goods trade. I wonder how many million dollar Dutch masters paintings spent time on that sidewalk, before being snatched up by flippers?
Vanagons:
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Splitty Photos Reply with quote

EeVeeWee wrote:

Looks like my set-up at OCTO when my wife joins me to sell a few of her girl things. Laughing
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 430, 431, 432  Next
Jump to:
Page 67 of 432

Jump to: