Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

March '58 Westy resurrection
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
campingbox wrote:
I'm not trying to rain on your parade because I really like the bus, but I would drive the bus to the paint shop and ask them to try for a better color match. They can do better. Yes, it will look better knocked down and the rest brought up, but those two blues are worlds apart.

What is a PITA is if you want to spray it again and burn through you need to get ALL of that new blue off. Next time you might try spraying a test card or something instead, or maybe just spray a small area to see how it blends.

Glasurit also has a flexible gloss additive for the 22 line, if you want to have it lay down with less shine from the start.

Again, not trying to rain on your parade, just giving feedback.

did you see the rust I painted over too? looks was not my end goal.

Yeah, I wasn't excited about the colour match and knew that going in to it. But I had the paint and the most important part was protecting the bare metal and removing the surface rust. Also, in the photos the bus has 8 months of dust on it and needs to be washed, polished and waxed so it should improve. Its temporary as I intend to spend the time getting the match much closer when I do the welding and blending, at which time I'll repaint the side anyway.

Sweet, looking forward to seeing the end result.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend had some yellow/grey tent material and we both needed a tent bag so we decided to give a go at making a couple. I had an og to use for a pattern and we could get two out of the material available. The only difference from original is where the material is folded as the direction of strips on the hacked privy room we were using only allowed us to fold one way. Only the purists will know.

They came out okay, correct dimensions, just need to find a decent buckle that looks original. My wife and I each sewed one though, guess which turned out better Wink I better stick to wrenches.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last weekend got out with some friends and went camping and to the june jitterbug show in Niagara Falls. About 300 miles round trip and the bus ran great. First real camping trip in the bus, it was a good time.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric, glad u and the family got to go camping. Looks like the weather was nice.
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yeah boss! Looks like fun
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buseric wrote:

what do you think about a set of 215/75/15 BFG A/T's on this bus? I need to lose the wimpy bug tires. I might need less gearing or a bigger motor to do so....I think it might look kind of cool on a camper...
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need more motor but it will look great
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1957 dd kombi
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186478&highlight=
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those tires would look sweet on your bus but they are quite a bit heavier so depending on what motor you have it will be slower going.
G-wood Todd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus is looking great! I'm glad you enjoyed some camping.

The 215's would look sweet. I'm running 205's with a 36 horse. You will want a bigger motor.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G-wood Todd wrote:

The 215's would look sweet. I'm running 205's with a 36 horse. You will want a bigger motor.
will 215/75 15's fit under the rear wheel wells?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
G-wood Todd wrote:

will 215/75 15's fit under the rear wheel wells?

Thanks for the comments everyone. According to the large meats/big tires thread the 215/75/15 will fit under early wheelwells and doglegs without rubbing. Closest I have had on a bus is 205/70 which was no problem.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been driving the bus quite a bit lately and its been a joy. I am getting used to where this motor and tranny combo likes to run, which is mostly downhill. Other than driving it I have only done a couple things, one being changed a cargo door hinge pin that was broken. The door shuts much nicer but the job was a bugger trying not to ruin the og paint. Of course it was broke in to 3 pieces and had to be drilled out. Door shuts much nicer now.

I put in a Sapphire III radio a couple weeks ago and a wolfsburg west speaker and bracket along with a hirschmann antenna (thanks michael). Was worried it was gonna conflict with the cupholder mount but all is well. Cruising to the oldies now...

tferr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin good..... I can picture you getting hooked on AM talk radio.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric good to see that the westy is getting used for its intended purpose- tent bags look great too- i had a spare speaker bracket- didn't know you were looking for one, but sorry fresh out of limba Smile
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice radio except for the bezel is supposed to go on the backside of the dash
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim. I'll swap it around, I am enjoying the oldies so much I didn't notice Smile

I've just been driving the bus lately, not doing much work to it. Might get out on one more camping trip before it goes away for the winter.
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="buseric"]
buseric wrote:

what do you think about a set of 215/75/15 BFG A/T's on this bus? I need to lose the wimpy bug tires. I might need less gearing or a bigger motor to do so....I think it might look kind of cool on a camper...

Eric, the bus looks good!

Though I am dumbfounded by the desire for folks to use bigger then stock tires on buses. I think it looks terrible and is plagued with issues from the get go and I see zero benefit other then added ground clearance.

You have went to such an extent making this bus correct and original so why would you think of using anything other then the original tire made for your bus, the 6.40-15 bias ply. They are exactly what you trans-engine and suspension was designed for. You don't have to worry about the spare not fitting, trouble removing a flat, underpowered motor or all the other issues larger tires will cause.

I use new Coker Firestone 6.40s and am amazed how wonderfully my buses drive, handle and are perfectly matched for the stock motor and trans gearing. Plus the bus will look beautiful and correct.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="bastardbus"]
buseric wrote:
buseric wrote:

Eric, the bus looks good!

Though I am dumbfounded by the desire for folks to use bigger then stock tires on buses. I think it looks terrible and is plagued with issues from the get go and I see zero benefit other then added ground clearance.

You have went to such an extent making this bus correct and original so why would you think of using anything other then the original tire made for your bus, the 6.40-15 bias ply. They are exactly what you trans-engine and suspension was designed for. You don't have to worry about the spare not fitting, trouble removing a flat, underpowered motor or all the other issues larger tires will cause.

I use new Coker Firestone 6.40s and am amazed how wonderfully my buses drive, handle and are perfectly matched for the stock motor and trans gearing. Plus the bus will look beautiful and correct.

I agree. I put Coker 640s on both my '58 and '59 with stock trannies and they drive and handle like a dream. Too bad the damn things have shot up in price though. Makes me rethink doing it on the '62 camper I am restoring.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is amazing how perfectly VW engineers designed every component on a vehicle to work perfectly together. I had a 1600DP with a big nut tranny and the stock 6.40-15s on this flipseat originally. I thought the larger tire and the big nut trans would give me a bit extra speed and the balanced DP would give enough power. I found the engine had a hard time pushing the bus much above 60. At the same time I had a `62 so-33 with a stock small nut, 6.40-15s and 40 hp and the bus would run circles around that flipseat! I wound up removing all that stuff from the flipseat and went back to the stock small nut, 40hp and 6.40s.

Another time I had a set of NOS 6.70-15s given to me. I installed them on a stock small nut `61 so-23 with a 1600SP and drove the bus to Litchfield bug out, the engine struggled pushing the bus the entire trip and it was a total toad. Later, I went back to the stock 6.40-15s and it was like an entirely new bus great power and top end. It is amazing what proper tire size and trans gearing ration will do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't ruled out bias plys but I would like a little more aggressive tread on what I see on most 6.40s these days. The tires on it are like new but are lowly beetle 165s .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: