Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to get a title? My bus is an undocumented alien :(
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterxxl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: How to get a title? My bus is an undocumented alien :( Reply with quote

Hello everyone! Most of you probably know me from other threads. And if you don't I will point you to my original and longest topic - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=444484

Here is my past story in a nutshell: I like to travel and I have been traveling almost 4 years now. I have always loved old air-cooled European cars and VW bus was like a holy grail for me. It would be a perfect vehicle for my crazy adventures. And about year and half ago I came across one. The story started unusual way. I discovered the bus in Mexico. Because I was a tourist in Mexico and tourists are not allowed to buy cars in Mexico, I had to jump thru many hoops and spent quite a few dollars to get the bus titled under my name. And did all that only to discover down the road, that the bus was in very bad condition, almost beyond restorable and that Mexico was not exactly the right place to have such a vehicle anyway.

So I decided to travel from Mexico City to America! The home of the greatest car collectors' community under the sun, The Samba. Since the time I crossed the border in Texas until now, it was an amazing time. In fact it was the best time of my life! I was in USA before and I already loved it here, but what happened to me during my bus travels just proves how awesome this country and the people who live here are. My first crush was not an accident.

I am getting to the point now. I didn't talked about this things a lot in my original thread, because the topic is quite controversial. But it got to the point that I really have to do something about it, so I found my balls and here I am.

One of the highlights of my bus story was the trade. I traded the Mexican panel bus in Midland, TX for a kombi in so much better shape. That was the point when my VW dream came true. Well, not quite. There is one more little caveat. The bus didn't come with any papers. No title, no registrations or anything. So I am back where I was pretty much when I bought the Mexican bus.

The bus is pretty much an undocumented alien in this country. Once born in Germany, but then deceased one day and was buried and forgotten for decades in middle of Texas. Then saved from it's ultimate destiny, to be cut up for sheet metal, by me, a guy from Europe.

I am not illegal here, but I am not resident either. I only have a tourist permit and I have to leave the country every three months, if I want to ever come back. I am trying to play by the rules because I don't want to be denied US entry in the future. Because the lack of time, finances and knowledge I have not titled the bus yet. I was rather enjoying the bus as is and I drove it across the country on Mexican plates with Mexican registration that belongs to the original Mexican bus. I didn't get in any serious trouble so far, but the fear is haunting me and complicating my life.

I don't have any real proof of ownership, so if the bus gets towed away by any chance, I doubt I will be able to recover it. And the last thing I want, is to loose everything, I have been working for and spent thousands of dollars because of bad parking or something stupid like that.

-

So I finally found the courage to tell this here openly and I would like to ask you for advice or help in this matter.

I am currently in New York City and the bus is in New Jersey. As for now, I have a mailing address for the time being and I can stay in America for approximately month and a half more.

During this time, it's my highest priority to get the bus road legal, so I can leave it on the street without the fear of loosing it, or driving it to different countries without the fear of getting pulled over by the cops and having no paperwork to prove the bus is really mine.

Thanks

* 1961 Panel - my 1st VW - bought near Mexico City - traded for:
* 1959 Kombi - stored in Philly for now

Read my story here:
* Part 1 - Mexico City to Philadelphia
* Part 2 - Philadelphia to Europe - in progress
swervyjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go through Vermont. http://benboyle.com/blog/?p=16
olliehank47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't read your link so I don't know the year of the bus but first, and most important, does the bus have a VIN stamped in the engine bay or a VIN plate screwed to the bulkhead under the fuel tank (depending on the year)? In my opinion, if the bus does not have a clear, unaltered, factory VIN, you are asking for trouble as there will be no legal way to trace the ownership of the bus or to determine if it was ever stolen. If there is no VIN at all, you will likely never be able to title the bus, legally.

Assuming there is a VIN, you should first determine if it is from a stolen bus. If the VIN proves to be clean and is original to the bus, you can get title papers via the link provided by swervyjoe or other sites/states that can run the paperwork, or contact the state dmv and inquire about paperwork/procedures to gain title (each state has its own rules) and see if that is feasible for you given your lack of time and permanent residence. If retitling the bus is possible in the state you are in and all it takes is time (that you don't have), a permanent address (that you don't have) and money, you could arrange for a trusted friend to actually get the title in their name and then "sell" you the bus. (You can see the obvious risk with this, but you may have someone you could trust with this, and there is nothing at all shady with this scenario.)

If the VIN has been altered but is clean, you will have to draw your own conclusions as to why that is so. You could still get a title with the incorrect VIN and probably never get caught but if you ever decide to sell the bus you would likely disclose the issue if you are honest. If you wanted to export the bus to your homeland, you will be in a huge mess and wind up with the bus confiscated, at the very least.

In short, let us know if the bus has proper VIN's and their locations, and more help will certainly follow.

Last edited by olliehank47 on Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mechanic's Lien?
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter, i can probably do it for you thru vermont. you just need to pay for it. matt and i have done it a couple times. it takes about 3 weeks and costs a few hundred bbucks, mostly the tax vermont collects. the provide a great service to the old car community. i am happy to give them the money.

we can fill out the papers at the shop when you come back for the trailbash next friday.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peterxxl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice so far.

Just for the record, the bus has unmolested VIN.
Then VIN in engine compartment matches with the one on M plate.
Bus is '59.

Read my story here:
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one time, all that was required was to purchase a "Bond" through your auto insurance company before registering at the DMV. I've done this myself. I don't know which states still allow this option, but I've heard it discussed fairly recently on another board.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a company that used to be good but no longer called International Title Service. He still has my money from a few years back. DO NOT USE THEM.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterxxl wrote:

Bus is '59.

I assume you are talking about the stamped number in the engine compartment as the vin plate looks to be missing in this pic

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
peterxxl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
peterxxl wrote:

Bus is '59.

I assume you are talking about the stamped number in the engine compartment as the vin plate looks to be missing in this

Yes, the VIN is stamped where the apron attaches to the body.
The picture you posted is from the Mexican bus.
The Texan bus also has m plate in the front.

Read my story here:
BRANDEN HOY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Gibbs has got you covered with the easiest way to get it done. Like he said, it's a couple hundred dollars but dollars well spent. I've enjoyed your adventures and hope to keep reading new ones. If you ever make it out to Arizona please feel free to drop me a line.
bphudgins
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: My title Reply with quote

I used Classic Title service here on this site. I was unsure to use them but what did I have to loose. I sent him a couple hundred bucks and sure enough I got a title from him. It took about 4 weeks but I GOT IT!!!!!! Godd luck. Dancing
NikC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Petr

Did you get this sorted through Vermont ?

I have my eye on a Westy with no title that I'd like to get over to the UK.

Would like this one, but if getting a title is going to be a ball ache then i'll just keep hunting and let the guy who is selling it that its a no go.

Thanks

Nik
NikC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just following up again on this, I'm been told they dont cover veichles over 35 years old, anyone able to confirm ?

Thanks

Nik
dubstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm been told they dont cover veichles over 35 years old, anyone able to confirm ?"

are you talking about Vermont? if so, the people who mentioned that option are talking about split window buses, which are all over 35 years old, so you must have been given incorrect information...

http://instagram.com/john_aka_dubstar/
http://web.stagram.com/n/john_aka_dubstar/

"you could transport really tall things too, like a giraffe"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NikC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubstar wrote:
"
are you talking about Vermont? if so, the people who mentioned that option are talking about split window buses, which are all over 35 years old, so you must have been given incorrect information...

To be honest that's what I'm trying to figure out ... who is giving me the incorrect info.

It's a 67 bus, needs restoring, has no title, can I do it via Vermont or i'm chasing a lost cause Smile
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading thru Ben's link, but I have a question. Do you need someone within VT to act as the owner/seller to get the title? I find it difficult to imagine they would let anyone from another state to title a vehicle in VT.

Can anyone explain this procedure? I have a bus I would like to get a title for.
Thank you.
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peaceful warrior wrote:
I was reading thru Ben's link, but I have a question. Do you need someone within VT to act as the owner/seller to get the title? I find it difficult to imagine they would let anyone from another state to title a vehicle in VT.

Can anyone explain this procedure? I have a bus I would like to get a title for.
Thank you.

Nope, you dont have to be in state. I called them once and specifically asked "why do you allow this and is it really legit"? Their response was basically "we need this business to keep our dmv afloat, send in your paperwork".
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the VT registration thing work for Canadians? I see there is a place for a 'SSN', can that be blank? Smile
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busmania wrote:
peaceful warrior wrote:

Thank you.

Nope, you dont have to be in state. I called them once and specifically asked "why do you allow this and is it really legit"? Their response was basically "we need this business to keep our dmv afloat, send in your paperwork".

Cool! Thank you for the reply! Very Happy
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: