Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1976 Westy, my project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, congrats to my parents on 40 years of marriage!
They hosted a party at their place to celebrate and the bus was welcome of course!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And I finally made the time to get the rear shocks installed.

Here are the originals. When I removed them they compressed extremely easily and didn't decompress at all when released. Also the passenger's side leaked oil once I got it off. Shocked

The top bolts were a pain to remove. A tip is that from under the bus you can access the back side of the bolts where they go through the chassis. You can’t really see them, but feel around and you’ll find them. Spraying them with PB Blaster was a huge help.

The new KYB gas shocks (P/N 344082) waiting to go in.

New as compared to old. The KYBs are just slightly longer when fully extended.

The top bolts were cleaned and looked to be in good shape, so I re-used them after cleaning the mounting holes in the chassis as well. The lower mounting bolts had some odd wear on them. Almost like the threads had been worn down. There wasn’t much thread depth left.

So I made a quick trip to the hardware store for some metric grade 8 nuts and bolts.

Here’s a shot to show how far the 344082s extend past the lower mount. These shocks fit great for me, but most parts places list them as being for syncro Vanagons I think. Apparently late bay rear shocks need to be longer than early, so be careful when ordering.

New shocks installed.

Took my son on a quick test drive to get some yogurt. There is a HUGE difference! No more riding over waves sensation and potholes and bumps felt much better. Success! Although, my son said he missed the “bouncing around” in the back. Smile

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats not grade 5? I thought Grade 8 was all gold colored. I may be wrong. Thanks for the updates! I just installed my KYBs too, and man what a difference.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
Thats not grade 5? I thought Grade 8 was all gold colored. I may be wrong. Thanks for the updates! I just installed my KYBs too, and man what a difference.

Agrh! The metric grade 8.8 got me! Looks like these are just slightly stronger than SAE grade 5. The store did have the SAE grade 8 bolts, but the diameter was slightly too large. Looks like I'm going to have to search around town or order from McMaster Carr.

Good catch Kirk!
Oh, did you end up using these shocks or the early bay type?

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knocking out a few more little jobs.

My ignition switch is probably corroded and worn inside, so the PO had installed a starter push button switch in the hole for the battery light in the cluster. I replaced the cluster, removed the junk switch and replaced it with one I thought was good. It was temporarily just hanging there until I decided where/how to permanently mount it. Well it turns out the replacement switch, though rated as though it would work, was junk too. It wasn't long before it was difficult to press it in and it stopped working all together.

The second switch:

Here is what I hope is my final switch. It's nice and beefy and fairly discreet looking with the rubber screw on cover.

Wired and heat shrunk:

I used one of the existing holes in the dash. Just had to drill through the vinyl cover and enlarge it a bit.

Installed:

It works great and, I think it looks pretty good. I'm happy with it anyway.

Also re-routed some wiring to get the alternator light to work (thanks busdaddy for the tips). My alt. dummy light was not coming on at all unless I turned my heater blower on. Confused I moved that blue wire from the blower relay to the voltage regulator and it's all good! Ran a little jumper from the coil to the blower so it still works.

New three point seat belt and booster seat for the boy. I used the stock mounts and the both the seat and belt fit nicely and are comfortable.

And finally I replaced my lower shock bolts with some correct metric grade new ones. Very Happy

1966 Beetle
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work! I love it when I knock out lots of little things. Good bang for your buck.

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet Very Happy

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RONIN10 wrote:
Good work! I love it when I knock out lots of little things. Good bang for your buck.

And there is no shortage of them either! Very Happy

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
sweet Very Happy

Thanks!

1966 Beetle
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a few more things done in advance of a tubing trip a few weeks ago.

I had this leftover A/C unit from a Vanagon I sold years ago, so I thought I'd give it a try. For the surround piece I used a remnant piece of insulation my dad gave me (self-adhesive magnetic strips keep it in place). Used a couple brackets, a board and some straps to support it, and it's actually pretty secure. It's really just a prototype that I will improve upon. Now, I don't think I'll always use the A/C, but the family came with me on this trip and it was July in Texas, so I suffered through it. Smile

Replaced my sliding door nylon block. Pretty easy job. Just remove the rail cover (probably the most annoying part really) swing the arm out through the little opening about half way down the rail and support the door on a jack stand. If it's the original block you will have to drill the rivet out, which is not difficult, and you don't have to actually remove any part of the assembly for this repair.

What was left of the old one.

The new one installed with a new bolt and locking nut (not as dirty as it looks, I used a brown multipurpose grease). Before I had to really slam it and even push in a bit as it closed for it to fully latch. Now the door shuts with minimal effort, in fact my 5 year old can even close it easily! Plus, it was all but impossible to shut it from inside before which when camping is pretty annoying. No problem now!

Also, I finally installed my fire extinguisher. It's been riding shotgun or on the floor for the past 2 years. Embarassed It's too big to mount in the stock deluxe location on the rear seat base or even behind the driver's seat. I'll just be sure not to lock the hatch while on the road.

On to the camping...
We stayed at Camp Huaco Springs http://camphuacosprings.com/ in New Braunfels. About a 55 mile drive each way and the bus did great!

The place was nice and well kept, but not much room. The campers were really packed in there. Also, I prefer being on grass with plenty of room to stretch out.

My sister and her BF's RV on the left.

Not even enough room to put our tarp/canopy out.

Oh well, the water was cool and the tubing was great! Had a wonderful time with the family and extended family.

Hopefully or next trip will be a bit more rustic!

1966 Beetle

Last edited by Bala on Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:10 am; edited 2 times in total
m@
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I too have just read this entire project. I look forward to future posts and pics. I have been enjoying our '78 Westfalia immensely. This feed is so very helpful to myself and so many others and I just wanted to thank you. Here is a link to my new bus blog. Next week I will be sharing photos from "Big Wednesday" at San Onofre Beach here in Southern California.
http://www.abuslife.com
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

m@ wrote:
I too have just read this entire project. I look forward to future posts and pics. I have been enjoying our '78 Westfalia immensely. This feed is so very helpful to myself and so many others and I just wanted to thank you. Here is a link to my new bus blog. Next week I will be sharing photos from "Big Wednesday" at San Onofre Beach here in Southern California.
http://www.abuslife.com

Thanks mate! I'll check out your blog, thanks for the link!

Oh, and i just edited my last post. I don't know what happen, lost a lot of text and several pictures when I first posted it. All fixed now.

1966 Beetle
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking great!

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
looking great!

Thanks dude!

1966 Beetle
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bala wrote:

I agree with Stuart- You've got it made, Bala!

Man, I love a good scuffed up bumper on a bus that's being used like it's supposed to be. Razz Looks tight, dude!!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="secretsubmariner"]
Bala wrote:

Man, I love a good scuffed up bumper on a bus that's being used like it's supposed to be. Razz Looks tight, dude!!

Ha, that bumper will get a makeover some day.
Thanks!

1966 Beetle
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bala"]
secretsubmariner wrote:
Bala wrote:

Ha, that bumper will get a makeover some day.
Thanks!

i got a makeover a couple years ago to my bumpers when i got a new nose...but my front already looks like that rear and the rear is already been hit twice since...Laughing and it was professional, and im sure would have lasted if i could quit running into things...like the ground n such....

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My front brakes had started to squeal really bad and were making me nervous. They functioned just fine, but some new pads were needed.

I pulled the old ones, and they actually had plenty of meat, just looked super old.

Lug nuts had stuck them selves to my fresh painted wheels. Had to bring out the big guns.

Lots of spider webs and junk that I cleaned out.

New compared to old.

Rotors look smooth with no damage, so I didn't mess with them. New pads went in super easy. I used some break grease on the back of the pads, but no metal spacers. And no grease on the pins or clips per the Bentley. So far no squealing and they work great. They pull slightly to the left when hard breaking, so new soft lines and calipers are in my future I'm sure.

I got some over the counter Duralast pads from Auto Zone. Why not. They seemed decent quality and have a lifetime warranty.

1966 Beetle
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now with the dirty work out of the way it was time for some "fun".

I've had my bus for over two and a half years and never given it a proper wash and wax. I've wiped it down once or twice, but that's it. It's a camper not a show bus. But I guess the time had come.

Before:

Soaping up and watering the lawn:

And after a really quick wax. Not a huge difference, but hopefully the paint will be a little better protected.

The next morning was the Oil Dripper's Spill Out show in San Antonio.

My pops met at my place and we had a nice cruise straight to our favorite Mexican restaurant in SA.

VIP parking. Smile

And, our view from inside once the rest of the family met us in their "normal" car. Very Happy

The show was really cool. Located at a place called Traders Village under a massive pavilion. Like 2 football fields massive. Shocked
So it was nice to be in the shade. And Traders Village is a pretty neat place. Amusement rides and games for the kids and more vendors selling new and used stuff than you can imagine. I picked up a few vinyl records for my collection. I swapped and basically paid for the trip, so that made me happy. Managed to get out of there with only buying one hubcap to replace a junky repro I've been wanting to get rid of and a little german badge for the grand total of 7 bucks.

My dad entered his truck in the show (got his first trophy, 3rd place in class!), but I was happy just to hang in the swap area.

Over all a really good show/swap. We'll be going down there for all 3 days next year. And the bus did awesome. No problems there or back, just a little oil consumption. The drive back was extremely windy and it was a little sketchy with my front end. I'll be addressing some slop up there for sure.

Anyway, another trip in the books!

1966 Beetle
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I have new pads and shoes for when mine shit the bed. Was the install ok?

Also- I think this looks pretty good, too!

I want to put in some under dash lights, and I saw a button like that at Autozone that caught my eye. It seems much sturdier than some others I've seen. Good job!

Have you seen this: http://www.thethingshop.com/LENS-BRAKE-WARNING-LIGHT/productinfo/113919232L/

A clean looking dash is one of my biggest goals, so a bright red brand new brake warning light was necessary for the resto!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those duralast pads...so long as you catch them before they hit metal, you can return them and get new pads for free....lifetime is no joke on these guys! Wink

ive been mentally waxing mine the last few days...after volksfest i may actually get out and do it...that paint might actually shine up after all! Smile

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
Nice! I have new pads and shoes for when mine shit the bed. Was the install ok?

Also- I think this looks pretty good, too!

I want to put in some under dash lights, and I saw a button like that at Autozone that caught my eye. It seems much sturdier than some others I've seen. Good job!

Have you seen this: http://www.thethingshop.com/LENS-BRAKE-WARNING-LIGHT/productinfo/113919232L/

A clean looking dash is one of my biggest goals, so a bright red brand new brake warning light was necessary for the resto!

Thanks!
The install was super easy. 15 minutes a side. A lot of people use a "C" clamp to push the pistons back in, but I just use a piece of round metal rod and pried against the rotor (not the braking surface). Hard to describe exactly how, but it works great. Just have to be careful to not damage the piston seal.

My brake warning light is really in good condition, so I don't need to replace it, but I'll keep that link handy.

Oh, and forgot to mention that I adjusted the rear brakes as well. I now have more pedal and my emergence brake functions much better!

1966 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 20

Jump to: