Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cheap 1600 upgrades
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dodesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, I'll take everything into consideration. I read on aircooled dot net that I will have to use shorter pushrods if I use 1.4 rockers. What size pushrods will I need?
ColtonMelson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Stock pushrods on my DP 1600 with the bolt on 1.25 rockers, duel 34s carbs by empi (they are crap by the way, i would not buy them) a 1-1/2in merged header, non vac advanced dist, stock heads, stock cam, and the engine ran GREAT.

But like any young man i needed more power after a while. so i built my 1835.

1835cc, Scat c35 cam, duel 34s, 1-1/2in merged stinger, Stock Heads, 3rib bus trans, in 2 seat SandRail
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
And this is perfect example of asking 10 engine builders how to do something and you get 10 different answers and each one is correct..... Laughing Seriously - Like something straighforward like which sealer is best for sealing a case? They wont agree.

Bottom line is find one that you trust and go with their suggestion - Just remember some basic things - the engine is a system - more fuel/air in, needs to get through the heads and out the exhaust. I posted what worked for us and you have lots of good posters on this - pick one and go with it.

Thatīs not too far away from the truth Wink
The problem in this game is, that if you have built 3 engines you are an expert. If you have built 5 you are a pro. But even if you have built 100+ engines, and have not kept track of what you did, and did not learn from it, you will keep making the same mistakes over and over again. Just look at all the flashy adds in the classifieds on this site and also elsewhere. When I see all the crap engines that comes in from overseas from especially 3 vendoers that claims to have been in business for a long time, I seriusly doubt that they have learned anything during those years. They just keep on doing as they have always done, and cut a toe here, chop a heel there, to save on cost. Because as long as itīll hold togehter for the warranty period its OK.
I have built over 180 engines over the last 20 years. I still have track of about 50 of them. And I monitor how they are doing performance and behaviur wise. I have tried to learned from about every single one of them.
Thatīs one of the ways to figure out what works and what doesnt.
T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: