Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Custom Bikini Top
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sxuxrxf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Custom Bikini Top Reply with quote

I would like to make a bikini top similar to this one...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1234736

...but with the ability to seal with the side curtains. I will also be making a surfboard rack that attaches to the roll bar, which is the biggest reason that I don't just get The Thing Shop bikini top.

So, I'm hoping to get some input before I get carried away and mess it up.

(disregard the wood dowels, they're holding the windshield where it belongs)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm using 1" square tubing with a stainless bolt to attach to the windshield. The bolt is welded to some plate and then welded inside the square tube. It then drops inside the window frame like the factory soft top pins.

The other end of the tubing will also be removable without tools, but attached to the roll bar in a way that it keeps tension on the windshield. I'll cut them about even with the rear side curtain.

The vinyl top would attach to the windshield, snap onto the side rails, and then continue over the rear of the roll bar and use adjustable straps down to the hooks on the body.

Any comments or suggestions before I get too far?

Thanks,
Robb
yellow73kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good to me. Smile

Do you have any plan for adding lateral stiffness? The 1in tubing is strong enough, but I see it bowing towards the middle having to hold the windshield in place and keep tension on the top.

Are you putting a bow across the windshield frame? That's where the TTS top really wins out over the one advertised here, a solid hold with no modifications to the body.

Is it going to fold? In my opinion, that's not a necessary bikini top feature but perhaps nice to have.

This is high on my list... The temperatures here in the sun are absolutely brutal some times. I've taken to keeping the convertible top up and doors off, but keep thinking about that big parachute back there doing wonders for my gas mileage. Rolling Eyes
Madkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based upon your past work, this will be a first class modification.
Cannot wait to see the end result.
DougD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How hard is it to remove the rubber piece at the top of the windshield? Seems like it would be an easy place to install a slide in attachment for the bikini similar to the one for sale in the classified section but without permanent modifications to the body.
yellow73kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougD wrote:
How hard is it to remove the rubber piece at the top of the windshield? Seems like it would be an easy place to install a slide in attachment for the bikini similar to the one for sale in the classified section but without permanent modifications to the body.

It's a t-shape gasket that fits into a channel. Pretty tough to get in or out, though it could be done. The real issue is that nothing would be supporting the windshield frame, so it would just keep bending farther and farther back.
sxuxrxf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've taken to keeping the convertible top up and doors off, but keep thinking about that big parachute back there doing wonders for my gas mileage.

If I were to get a soft top, I'd get the one with the removable back window for just this reason.

Quote:
Are you putting a bow across the windshield frame?

Quote:

I'm trying to come up with something to slide into the existing channel. The rubber slides out easily on mine. Attaching a channel to the windshield will be the last resort.

Quote:

The real issue is that nothing would be supporting the windshield frame, so it would just keep bending farther and farther back.

This is the 2nd benefit of the side bars. I could make or buy some windshield stiffeners from The Thing Shop otherwise.

Quote:
Do you have any plan for adding lateral stiffness? The 1in tubing is strong enough, but I see it bowing towards the middle having to hold the windshield in place and keep tension on the top.

After giving it more thought, I will be adding another attachment point at the rear end on the square tube to the cage. This way the bars and windshield are a solid unit. I could also shim the side bars further apart as the top stretches to take up the slack, if needed.

Quote:
Based upon your past work, this will be a first class modification.
Cannot wait to see the end result.

C'mon, Jim, you're embarrasing me. Embarassed

I'll get some more work done this weekend with a plastic tarp mocked up and post pics then.

I also want to make the front curtains with a zippered window like a Jeep. I have an idea that I think will work.
Now I just have to find a good marine canvas shop in the area to take care of sewing the top and windows.

-Robb
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have custim biniki top, snappes to widshields over roll bar, adj. straps in back. I got TTS windshield braces. worth the $$$$$$$
sxuxrxf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FV195 wrote:
I have custim biniki top, snappes to widshields over roll bar, adj. straps in back. I got TTS windshield braces. worth the $$$$$$$

Not without pictures, you don't Cool
Mountain man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Custom Bikini Top Reply with quote

I have been looking for a solution for the exact same set up. I have a TTS Show bar and looking for a way to make a bikini top but also a zip off rear section to enclose or open up the back. Looking forward to your solutions and hopefully I can duplicate it. Send lots of pics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had 2 differant biniki tops on 2 cars, both open in the back, made them long enough in the sides to go over windows, but back has been open
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.softopper.com/volkswagen-thing-soft-top-canvas-cap-details.aspx#prettyPhoto

Just came across this. Looks ok for less than $200 other than the snap front.
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks ALOT like the thing Shop one, minus the fancy header bow, for @ half the cost?
sxuxrxf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better price than TTS.

I thought about going with this style, but I want a snug fit to the side curtains and I need it to work with my surfboard rack idea.

I went to an upholstery shop a couple weeks ago. I'll get a better price if I wait til boat season ends.
I will be using the aluminum channel across the windshield, as well as one on each side attached to the top of the side bars. This should keep the wind and water out. Straps at the rear will keep it pulled tight.
I'll post pics of my progress as I make it.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think an industrious individual could make a header with similar latching to the thing shop and use the $200 bikini top snaps into it. This could be fun. I hate dropping $400+ on the TTS top but I also would hate to put snaps on my windshield frame. Anyone using the snap top?
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone have pictures of how the thing shop bikini top actually attaches to the windshield?
sxuxrxf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it attaches just as the convertible top...with the latches at the top.
I'm actually considering abandoning this project and getting one. Have to work out a couple details before deciding.

-Robb
sxuxrxf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go...

Quote:
The front "bow" is made of wood, with a steel backer with the pins attached, the latch is also screwed in here..... There are two straps one on each side that go all the way to a tie down in the back, this is to place the rear two metal "bows" in the proper position and to give the top tension.... Now onto the topic of tension.... with the bikini top on and tensioned it pulls back on the windshield pretty good, this is why the thing shop now provides their windshield frame support brackets(which I need to buy), you can see that in my bottom pic with the window installed, which is to answer the question as to whether the windows "work" with the Thing-Shop top or not.... there is about a 1" gap between the top of the window and the edge of the top.....

Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im thinking the big reasons between the softopper and the thing shops price is that funky bow and the material itself. you may be getting what you pay for with the softtopper.
sxuxrxf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Project is back on. One of the main benefits I want is for the side curtains to "somewhat" seal against the top. The Thing Shop Bikini Top doesn't do this. The convertible top with the roll up rear window is nice, but the price is insane.
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, up here once its cool enough to have to have the windows on, theres gonna be salt on the road, so I dont use them. Pretty much, the bikini top is just going to be used, whether i buy or fabricate, to keep the sun off when its real hot, or if i get caught in a sudden downpour.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: