Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

H4 headlights
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
FRNKNSTNGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have purchased the motorcycle headlights mentioned above. Although my car is far from completion. Yet when it is completed I will take pics from 5, 10, and 15 yards to verify beam pattern... I also intended on driving light/fog lights which I may be able to compensate if there is an issue...

But I'm sure someone out there will do it before a year... lol
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly looking at the lenses Phil has as a serious option for my Lowlight: http://www.ebay.com/itm/250895412882?item=250895412882

The traditional US fitting for a '58 is the 6v sealed beam and night driving hasn't been a pleasant experience. Add to that the seeming lack of availability of a RHD domed sealed beam and the Autopal looks like a ready made solution.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
akear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfitzsimor wrote:
If you look at the pattern of fluting on the glass, you can see that they are indeed for a right hand drive car. The beam pattern needs to dip down on the side of the car that meets oncoming traffic.

Thanks for pointing this out. So looking at the pattern from the pics in the two Ebay websites I posted earlier, I now see the patterns are the exact opposites of one another and "dipping" to the correct side. Top, US site, and dipping left in direction of travel, and bottom, Australia site, and dipping the other way. So even though the part numbers are the same, these are clearly two different versions: LHD and RHD. Not sure why the US site advertises these as motorcycle lamps but I've convinced myself they are not but indeed auto lamps and correct for LHD. So I am ordering them up and will let all know what I get and what the pattern is actually like.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

akear wrote:
mfitzsimor wrote:
If you look at the pattern of fluting on the glass, you can see that they are indeed for a right hand drive car. The beam pattern needs to dip down on the side of the car that meets oncoming traffic.

Thanks for pointing this out. So looking at the pattern from the pics in the two Ebay websites I posted earlier, I now see the patterns are the exact opposites of one another and "dipping" to the correct side. Top, US site, and dipping left in direction of travel, and bottom, Australia site, and dipping the other way. So even though the part numbers are the same, these are clearly two different versions: LHD and RHD. Not sure why the US site advertises these as motorcycle lamps but I've convinced myself they are not but indeed auto lamps and correct for LHD. So I am ordering them up and will let all know what I get and what the pattern is actually like.

Many/some motorcycles have right & left headlights
mfitzsimor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that part of what makes them a motorcycle headlight IS the convex shape of the lens. The convex shape helps create a rounder, more diffuse "bean" shaped light pattern which better covers the road when a motorcycle is leaned over in a turn.

A flat auto headlight lens creates a sharper, more horizontal beam pattern that doesn't have to compensate for a vehicle that is leaning over from side to side. Less light is dispersed where its not needed, its less of a compromise and better overall.

Also beware that while better than a sealed beam, you get what you pay for. When I was searching reviews, the Autopal lenses seem to rate as "good for a cheap lens" but the beam pattern is definitely more diffuse and the cutoff not as sharp as a more expensive Hella or Cibie lens. Some of the more performance oriented motorcycle folks rated them pretty harshly.

Mark
(BMW R100RT and R80ST)
86 quantum syncro
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some of those Autopal bulbs a while back and haven't had the chance yet to put them on my Baja bug. Here's a photo of one of them and the box it came in:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
akear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that definitively answers the left hand/right hand question; thanks! @mfitzsimor... I have the Hellas on my Datsun and they are a great lamp, but they are flat and I don't think they look right on the KG. So for convex lamps I think the options are just these or the Cibies. Thats $30 v $160 so well worth trying out the $30 option. Since I already have the Hellas I can do a side-by-side comparison and let all know how the Autopals measure up. They are on order. Thanks everyone.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like for the RHD lens I can either buy from the Australian outlet (more expensive + shipping) or find a source here in the UK which I've failed to find so far.

Not sure how these Autopal lenses will perform; they are assymetrical (takes care of LH/RH) but they are marked "for off-road only": http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Autopal-178mm-Assyme...7675.l2557 Anyone know the implications of the "for off-road only" stipulation?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
It looks like for the RHD lens I can either buy from the Australian outlet (more expensive + shipping) or find a source here in the UK which I've failed to find so far.

Not sure how these Autopal lenses will perform; they are assymetrical (takes care of LH/RH) but they are marked "for off-road only": http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Autopal-178mm-Assyme...7675.l2557 Anyone know the implications of the "for off-road only" stipulation?

Should be fine unless you are stopped on the M3 by a Park Ranger or a Flautist. Laughing
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philermonic wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

Should be fine unless you are stopped on the M3 by a Park Ranger or a Flautist. Laughing

Hmmm I'll try the local motorcycle store...maybe they'll have some ideas. Confused
mfitzsimor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I would question the seller about what they mean by "Assymetrical". The pattern of fluting looks to me like its for a left hand drive car.

If the lamps are truly adaptable to RHD or LHD autos the lens should have a bi-directional "code" arrow below the numbers on the glass. This indicates that it has a bulb holder that can be rotated through an angle of 30 degrees to lock the bulb in either a "Right Hand Traffic" or "Left Hand Traffic" position.

mark
86 quantum syncro
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfitzsimor wrote:
John,

I would question the seller about what they mean by "Assymetrical". The pattern of fluting looks to me like its for a left hand drive car.

If the lamps are truly adaptable to RHD or LHD autos the lens should have a bi-directional "code" arrow below the numbers on the glass. This indicates that it has a bulb holder that can be rotated through an angle of 30 degrees to lock the bulb in either a "Right Hand Traffic" or "Left Hand Traffic" position.

mark

Yes thanks for that Mark I think I'll try to source a RHD glass from here in the UK or buy the RHD ones from Australia.

I wasn't thinking straight "symmetrical" means same both sides and "asymmetrical" the opposite...oops. Rolling Eyes
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone in the UK tried these 7" Cibie: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/headlights/cibie-7-inch-e-approved-headlight-conversions

They don't look too deep pretty well the same as the stock sealed beams. Any suggestion on the wattage for a 6 volt car...60/55W OK for draw on the system or would the lower wattage 35/35W suit better?
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Anyone in the UK tried these 7" Cibie: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/headlights/cibie-7-inch-e-approved-headlight-conversions

They don't look too deep pretty well the same as the stock sealed beams. Any suggestion on the wattage for a 6 volt car...60/55W OK for draw on the system or would the lower wattage 35/35W suit better?

Here is what I have found John:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=524926

From what I am reading the lower wattage lamp would be a good call.
I gather from your description even the 35 watt H4's would be an improvement over the 6 volt US Standard lamps you currently (no pun) operate.
Having said that - unless there is another fundamental reason to stay 6v, perhaps it is time for the big 12v upgrade?
I've said it before that the H4 55/60 watt headlamps I have are my favorite functional up grade I have had done to my Ghia.
Seeing and being seen, don't leave home without it Cool
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philermonic wrote:

I gather from your description even the 35 watt H4's would be an improvement over the 6 volt US Standard lamps you currently (no pun) operate.
Having said that - unless there is another fundamental reason to stay 6v, perhaps it is time for the big 12v upgrade?
I've said it before that the H4 55/60 watt headlamps I have are my favorite functional up grade I have had done to my Ghia.

Thanks for that Phil...hadn't seen that topic. Yes I'm pretty sure the 35W bulbs would still be quite a useful upgrade and hopefully within the capacity of the 6volt system.

Don't really want to go 12v as it would not only involve the usual Generator /Regulator/Wiper Motor/Starter/Battery but electric fuel pump for my supercharger set up too.
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
philermonic wrote:

Thanks for that Phil...hadn't seen that topic. Yes I'm pretty sure the 35W bulbs would still be quite a useful upgrade and hopefully within the capacity of the 6volt system.

Don't really want to go 12v as it would not only involve the usual Generator /Regulator/Wiper Motor/Starter/Battery but electric fuel pump for my supercharger set up too.

I still have the 6 volt starter on my car - let's talk cranking power! Laughing

Seriously - I imagine there IS a way to use and modify the electronics to keep the 6 volt fuel pump functional if you had a 12 volt system, I can also imagine it being a PITA, and NOT what I would choose to do.
Hope it works out!!
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I wouldn't bother with the starter either if I went 12v.

I added to that topic on the Oval Forum to see if there were any updates from the original contributors.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

I added to that topic on the Oval Forum to see if there were any updates from the original contributors.

Darn it, John - you beat me to the chance of asking you to please post your question in the existing topic!
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

Darn it, John - you beat me to the chance of asking you to please post your question in the existing topic!

FFS don't tell me you want me to lock this thread. Embarassed
akear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

akear wrote:
Well that definitively answers the left hand/right hand question; thanks! @mfitzsimor... I have the Hellas on my Datsun and they are a great lamp, but they are flat and I don't think they look right on the KG. So for convex lamps I think the options are just these or the Cibies. Thats $30 v $160 so well worth trying out the $30 option. Since I already have the Hellas I can do a side-by-side comparison and let all know how the Autopals measure up. They are on order. Thanks everyone.

Update... I am very impressed with the Autopals. Bright with a nice broad beam pattern and sharp cutoff. They seem every bit as good as my Hellas at a fraction of the price. Also not sure why they are marked "off road". The sharp cut off seems designed for oncoming traffic. Maybe it's just that they have not been USDOT approved.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: