Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chris' 68 Ghia Build Log - From the Woods back to the Street
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cseay1 wrote:
Jared - no problem, this is -- sadly -- a long term build thread Wink

LOL...mine too.

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
From what i gather...
If you supply your engine number, they will confirm if it matches their records.

I know this is a delayed response but I thought I'd add to the "birth certificate" part of this thread

What is really goofy about this is they will not list the engine number on the "certificate" but they do supply a letter, on official stationary, that states "For data protection reasons, the engine number cannot be shown on the certificate alongside the vehicle identity number" however immediately following this statement is says "You sent us the following data about your vehicle:" It lists the VIN# and the engine number I provided, and then states "We are happy to confirm with this letter that the above engine number is that of the original engine"

Go figure....

-jeffrey
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to do it but I am offering the Ghia up for sale. Life does not seem to be affording me the time and money this car deserves so I am going to pass it on to someone who will hopefully continue its resurrection.

I have placed an ad in the samba classifieds.

I hope this is not the end for this little car but if it is I thank you for all of your kind words of encouragement and help.

1968 Karmann Ghia coupe - build log here: Chris' 68 Ghia Build Log - From the Woods back to the Street

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1968 Karmann Ghia coupe - build log here: Chris' 68 Ghia Build Log - From the Woods back to the Street

jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well damn

cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken the Ghia off the chopping block .. Half the people who inquired about it said it was too far gone to save, and the other half wanted to give me $500 so they could cut it up for parts or make a rat rod out of it.

I did manage to unload a couple other stalled projects and other albatrosses from my life so maybe I will actually be able to do something with this little car.

I think jpjohns reply with the quote from beetlenut in his signature line may have had some influence on my decision as well .. "scrapyards are for quitters" Cool

I'm not making any promises and certainly no timeline but stay tuned

jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha....hot damn! Awesome news.

cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I have decided on moving forward, the next thing I want to do is stabilize the body. The passenger side sags when the door is opened.

The driver's side has no body sag, but does have minor hinge sag (the door will move up and down but the body does not drop when the door opens) .. But on the passenger side the complete opposite is going on. The door hinges are tight with no movement. However the door is dropping over 1/2" at the rear edge, and the reason appears that the front door jamb where the hinges mount is tilting backwards and dropping with the door!

With the door unlatched, if I jack up the body just under the front a-pillar hinge post the door will align itself as the post straightens out. With the a-pillar supported the door opens and closes properly and fits nice.

cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had brought this up earlier in a heater channel thread and someone suggested it was probably due to rot in the "hockey stick" area in the bottom of the a-pillar .. removing the splash shield and taking a look inside revealed this:

calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your rust scenario looks pretty serious, I'm not the best person to give advice about that, but I'm glad to see you kept the car. I know for myself I have come close to selling mine and have always been glad that I kept it. I am in a smililar situation where my car is need of restoration, but don't have the funds or time to do it, so I decided to make the car as drivable and safe as I could, and just drive it with the patina look. Get that gas tank happening and brakes and go from there, the enjoyment you get out of driving it to the grocery store will inspire you to keep fixing it up. Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calexican wrote:
Your rust scenario looks pretty serious, I'm not the best person to give advice about that, but I'm glad to see you kept the car. I know for myself I have come close to selling mine and have always been glad that I kept it. I am in a smililar situation where my car is need of restoration, but don't have the funds or time to do it, so I decided to make the car as drivable and safe as I could, and just drive it with the patina look. Get that gas tank happening and brakes and go from there, the enjoyment you get out of driving it to the grocery store will inspire you to keep fixing it up. Good luck.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. If the car was more structurally sound I would keep the patina look, and just restore the chassis .. even if I do get some ribbing about the car being "pink" due to the severely faded red paint Rolling Eyes Unfortunately looks like it's going to need some major surgery and reconstruction before it is safe enough to be on the highway.

Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been watching this silently since the first post. I am not sure how good you are with the welder, but I think that your ghia (pinky Razz ) can be saved! It looks good (minus the rust) and the stance and wheels are also nice. Reminds me of my old bug.... I still wish I did not sell it. Back on track, as soon as you start the first cut to repair the, I am sure the inspiration will come fast to finish the job. Then you will be left with a good looking, not very rusty, ghia! The best of luck to you! I shall be watching closely...
Popcorn
1975 BMW 2002
1976 BMW 2002 (Bored and Stroked w/ 5-Speed)
1981 BMW E21
1986 Toyota 4Runner (Dead engine and trans)
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloku wrote:
The best of luck to you! I shall be watching closely...
Popcorn

Thanks Bloku .. luckily I do have welding and fabrication skills, but what I always seem to be lacking is time and money .. when I have the money I don't have the time, and when I have the time I don't have the money.

It may take a while but my goal is to one day drive it under its own power to one of the Bug Outs here in Virginia (which used to be held in Manassas which is 30 miles from me, but now it's now in Dinwiddie which is 130 miles away) .. not committing to what year or decade however!

cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to do a little exploratory surgery so I cut open the lower rear section of the front passenger fender

It's clear there is no support for the body here, and it is just dropping over the pan

cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing is promising is looking further up into the body behind the mud sill plate area it is nice and solid .. even has some shiny red og paint

cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did see that at some point holes were drilled for a dent puller, and a minor dent was pulled out until it was "good enough" to slap some bondo over, holes and all

cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like before I jacked up under the a-pillar area until the door once again aligned with the body. I did discover something unrelated -- the door is sprung. If I close it, once it gets to about an inch from latching it stops -- and requires a good push to close, and if you unlatch it it springs back. Also, the forward lower edge of the door scrapes the fender -- there is no gap. I placed a block of wood between the inside edge of the door and the hinge pillar, gave it few good pushes, and that pretty much fixed the sprung door problem. It doesn't take much effort to close, and the bottom forward edge of the door no longer scrapes the fender.

cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the sprung door issue resolved, I once again jacked up under the a-pillar area until the door closed evenly with the body lines, showing no signs of body sag. Once everything was lined up, I tack welded some 1x1 steel tube bracing across the door opening. I also included one vertical support to the seat bracket support area (which is pretty solid). Now, with the jack removed, the door opens and closes perfectly and no more signs of the body sagging or dropping.

cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the body now properly braced and fears of the car collapsing in on itself or being permanently twisted out of shape alleviated, I feel free to continue cutting.

.. judging by the pictures of others who have done heater channels on their Ghia's I would say this look about right Very Happy

cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. and more cutting. I found a 1957 penny inside the rocker panel -- that's going in the parts fund jar!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: