Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do you clean a carburetor? Boil it? Wire brush it?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PJ_1600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so no to using water to rinse it off and don't soak it overnight in the carb cleaner? I'll just spray and scrub and dry off with compressed air - thanks for the quick reply.
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I let it soak for 4 hours max, agitating periodically (the sander sounds like a great ideal - have to try it next time). After soak, blow through all the passages with Berkebile B101 Gum Cutter. I then give it a final "rinse" off with Brakleen .. not sure if that does anything or not but makes me feel good about it. Then a final blow through with compressed air.

1968 Karmann Ghia coupe - build log here: Chris' 68 Ghia Build Log - From the Woods back to the Street

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ_1600 wrote:
Resurrecting this thread from last summer - question - after carb cleaner soaking should you rinse with water , then blow out with compressed air, or is rinsing the carb cleaner off with water needed? Likely stupid question but doing this for the first time. Thanks.

Instructions are written on the can. Rinse with water. Some metals may need to be treated after the dip to prevent corrosion.

I spray passages out with carb cleaner after the dip to make sure they are clear.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always used the Gunk dip, my resident carb expert prefers the Berryman .. even though both have been reformulated to the "California" blend at my local parts stores ..

Don't remember ever reading anything about water, but I only skimmed the directions long enough to read not to soak longer than 4 hours on the Berryman IIRC ..

Might need to sift through the shop and dig up the cans and see what they actually say.

1968 Karmann Ghia coupe - build log here: Chris' 68 Ghia Build Log - From the Woods back to the Street

aprophet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultrasonic jewelry cleaner
PJ_1600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-Dog - are you saying there may be some leftover cleaner absorbed by the metal that could cause corrosion down the road? I did wonder that being that the material the solex carb is made of seems a bit porous.

Unfortunately I could not locate any Berryman product in my neck of the woods (Alberta, Canada) so I put the stripped carb in a old butter tub and used a whole spray can of Gunk carb cleaner and have been marinating and scrubbing it for the last few hours with an old toothbrush. The brush and plastic tub have not melted yet so I think it is all good. All this said, I had no instructions to go on as far as rinsing with water after cleaning so if this is important I'd sure appreciate hearing from someone with access to a carb dunking product can. Thanks!
Government
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: side of the road... Reply with quote

Lately I've been cleaning it with a can of carb cleaner on the side of the road.... All broke down like. Some braided steel wire that is thin and smooth goes through hole to clear crud. Then a dude named Martin, who fixes sewing machines stops and explains the inner workings of Solex carbs to you. Turns out it was hodgepodge electric fuel pump is bad, but now my carb is cleaner Laughing
PJ_1600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooo-kay. Shocked Can anyone give me a confirmation of the need to rinse off the carb cleaner with water? Smile
Government
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: if you are Inna rush. Reply with quote

Only seen it removed with air hose from compressor...

Couple hundred videos on YouTube about rebuilding soles carbs and !ost of them involve and show that dip cleaner, none of them used water...
Superman74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The carbs shops used to have a zinc based spray "paint" to seal protect the carb.. but I havent found the stuff in years.. same with cadmium paint for the brake booster... any one ever found a good replacement??
Hyperspace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like giving cleaned parts a light spritz of clear coat. Sure it doesn't look as nice as polished parts, but it does stay looking nice for months longer with no maintenance.

Photo's http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Hyperspace&show_results=summary
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously no one reads directions any more. Rinse with water.

Your carb won't be damaged by a clean water rinse. Dry it off thoroughly and blow out the passages before you put it back together.

My buggy lives outdoors ... gets rained on all the time and I wash the engine with a hose regularly. The carb won't get damaged by clear water.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
PJ_1600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as I said, I have no directions to read therefore I asked the question but thanks Q-Dog for the confirmation. I'll go with your advice.
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had the parts store send over a can of the Berryman 0996 Carb Dip ..

Quote:
Berryman Chem Dip is a highly effective carburetor and parts cleaner that removes most varnish, residue, and other deposits from carburetors and other metal parts in 15 to 30 minutes without agitation. Carbon residue on valves, pistons, and other engine parts may require longer cleaning times. Chem-Dip is safe to use with most metals and alloys. Limit soak time of coated aluminum finishes to a maximum of 4 hours. Cast iron and low-alloy steel parts should be coated with penetrating oil, such as Berryman E-Z Doz It, after rinsing to prevent flash rusting. Do not spill on painted surfaces. Keep container tightly sealed between uses.
Directions: Remove all rubber and plastic parts. Submerge parts to be cleaned in Chem-Dip and allow them to soak for 15 to 30 minutes. Remove parts and rinse with water For exceptionally carboned or corroded parts, allow longer soak time; some brushing may be necessary. Rinse with water DO NOT SOAK COATED ALUMINUM PARTS OVER 4 HOURS.

Q-Dog is vindicated .. I guess we should all stop and take 5 seconds to read instructions now and then Laughing

PJ_1600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome - thanks much!!
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cseay1 wrote:
I guess we should all stop and take 5 seconds to read instructions now and then Laughing

And why would we do that when we can write two pages of mindless blathering about something as rudimentary as how to clean a carburetor Wink

-jeffrey
jlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you rinse with water, use HOT water. It will heat up the metal during rinsing, then will make the water dry super fast once you're done.
Hyperspace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this mantra even when washing floors.

Photo's http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Hyperspace&show_results=summary
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not rinse the carb out with a bit of spare gas after instead of water? It is cheap, and easy to dispose of after (burn it)

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water is cheaper.

-jeffrey
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: