Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

S. CO San Juan Mtns trail trip Sept. 22-23
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: S. CO San Juan Mtns trail trip Sept. 22-23 Reply with quote

Judging from the off-the-beaten-path thread I think there's enough interest in this to give it a go, So... The weekend of September 22-23 looks like the date! The fall colors should be going then and if we're lucky we'll even have some snow to play in out on the forest roads Twisted Evil

Lots of options for trails... Old Lime Creek Rd north of Durango is a great one and I know of a bunch of roads between Wolf Creek Pass all the way down to Chama NM. I'm sure others have some spots in mind too... Pretty sure we'll have a great time no matter what area we're in.

So who's in???

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Colorado Bulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowered bus here but i am totally down to help and drink beer with yall!!!!
big bus mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least two of these buses will be there! Perhaps all of them...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gmog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: This Bus Reply with quote

My Bus and its humans might just be along for this one too! Since I won't be going to Eureka . . .

All kinds of stuff to do south of Pagosa. I'm kinda curious to get up towards Wolf Creek.

GMOG
gmog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Bus!:

GMOG
big bus mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on previous experience, I ordered two of these and their matching fuel spout today. Seems good quality. Didn't want a repeat of the last adventure...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/ZBQ-1412
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would work really well for me, I used to live in "Derangedo" and still have friends there. Is this open to splits and Bays? Ending up in Chama would be cool, funky little town. I am in.
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: This Bus Reply with quote

gmog wrote:
My Bus and its humans might just be along for this one too! Since I won't be going to Eureka . . .

All kinds of stuff to do south of Pagosa. I'm kinda curious to get up towards Wolf Creek.

GMOG

Awesome! As long as winter doesn't move in on us too fast this year we could take a route that is around 80 miles of dirt roads from the east side of Wolf Creek Pass all the way down to Chama. You spend the majority of the time above 10K' and a bit above 11K'. Some really nice alpine lakes for a bit of fly fishing too. I'll see if I can come up with a route map to post up...

Manfred58sc wrote:
That would work really well for me, I used to live in "Derangedo" and still have friends there. Is this open to splits and Bays? Ending up in Chama would be cool, funky little town. I am in.

Yep, bays are all good for this trip. And Chama is a totally great town, and the Cumbres Pass area just north of town should be really great for color right around that time.
travelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say for now is definitely interested and maybe. We've got a lot going on at that time of year that is currently in the "unknown" category. Hopefully I will know more soon Smile. Cheers,
K
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gmog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are good fuel cans, Mike. My only complaint is with the spout - pours super slow and is hard to get the can high enough to get all the fuel out. I stuck a hose on the end of mine which works for the Bus but not the 'Yota.

Kevin had one with a flexible neck that was larger diameter, supposed to pour real good. Any idea where J got that one, K?
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything on the front range has been a month early, trees are starting to turn here already. It may be a snow bash at that altitude, fine by me. I will bring my 69 Bay, better in snow than the SC. I will spread the word here as well. I will be interesting to see how the box scrapers do at 11K and 80 miles of dirt, I will bring some selected dimensional lumber to help them climb over obstacles.
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: soco trail bash Reply with quote

Im in. Never hit the roads south of Wolf Creek. Sounds great !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DannoT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in if i can get down there by then, would have been allot easier to get to back when i lived in Durango Laughing
travelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmog wrote:
Those are good fuel cans, Mike. My only complaint is with the spout - pours super slow and is hard to get the can high enough to get all the fuel out. I stuck a hose on the end of mine which works for the Bus but not the 'Yota.

Kevin had one with a flexible neck that was larger diameter, supposed to pour real good. Any idea where J got that one, K?

The original NATO cans are the way to go, too. Aftermarket can't seem to make much of anything right. The spout Gmog mentioned is original equipment and pours incredibly fast using a vent that runs from the neck through the mouth of a NATO can. I don't use it much right now, cause it needs a new gasket. The ones typically floating around are junky knockoffs with no vent at all, so glub... glub... glub... pretty sure there are more than enough pictures of me standing next to a split waiting for a full can to drain Smile.
K
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all goes well until then, I'm in and I might be able to wrangle up some Front Range folks.

Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
big bus mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinMc wrote:

The original NATO cans are the way to go, too. Aftermarket can't seem to make much of anything right. The spout Gmog mentioned is original equipment and pours incredibly fast using a vent that runs from the neck through the mouth of a NATO can. I don't use it much right now, cause it needs a new gasket. The ones typically floating around are junky knockoffs with no vent at all, so glub... glub... glub... pretty sure there are more than enough pictures of me standing next to a split waiting for a full can to drain Smile.
K

Something like this? These ones were made for the cans I got:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/ZBQ-1413

swervyjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in if I can get my beam cut and turned by then.
big bus mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
If all goes well until then, I'm in and I might be able to wrangle up some Front Range folks.

Right on Mike! I rembember seeing pics of that westy three-wheeling in an old Colorado VW Bus Club Newsletter. It'll be good to hang out.
gmog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Fuel Cans Reply with quote

Mike, my slow spout is just like the one in your pic. It's not long enough to get the can out away from the Bus, making it hard to get all the fuel out. I put a piece of hose on the end of the spout which corrected that issue, but it still pours slow and looses a little fuel between glugs. Maybe yours will be better? Something longer and flexible like Kevin has would be the way to go.

But in the grand scheme, it is good to have extra cans that you can get most of the fuel out of, no matter how slow the pour. And besides, how much of a hurry are we ever really in? Smile

The NATO style cans are superior for how well they seal up. Love 'em other than the pouring issues.

Kevin, I bought a piece of material to make the seals out of. If you don't have it solved by the next time I see you I'll try to remember to bring some along and we'll cut a couple out for you.
cdollar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's a first stab at a route map. If you zoom in a bit you'll see all the other road options we have available... Tons of side trails and loops off the main route. It goes past the Summitville ghost town, across the continental divide at Elwood Pass, and then on past Platoro Lake on the way to Chama. And if folks don't want to go all the way south to Chama there are some other roads that you can take and end up in the San Luis Valley near Del Norte.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: