Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New rebuild and no oil pressure.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New rebuild and no oil pressure. Reply with quote

bugger101 wrote:
Not everyone needs tom wilson's engine book.

You are right. But based on the large amount of engine problems we see here a big wad of people threw away a lot of coin when $17 would have prevented it.
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New rebuild and no oil pressure. Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
bugger101 wrote:

You are right. But based on the large amount of engine problems we see here a big wad of people threw away a lot of coin when $17 would have prevented it.

X10 ... I bought the book even though i did not rebuild my engine. What I learned is my first engine builder should have bought a copy as well. $4,500 and 9 m0nth of down time of a mistake.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New rebuild and no oil pressure. Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
bugger101 wrote:

I wonder if anyone at GEX has ever seen one? Confused Maybe we could pool our resources and buy them one. Twisted Evil Confused

Last edited by Wildthings on Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
velo96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok desertbusman I tried turning the engine backward by hand and adding oil to the sender hole with no luck, about a half a quart. Should it be harder to turn the engine backward than forward? I need to stop and take a mental break. Later i will start digging my way to the pump. The engine always ran thru smooth during assembly. I can't believe this is happening!! Mad
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it shouldn't be any harder turning it backwards. I would squirt some oil in thru the plug holes to give it a bit of piston and ring lube.

Too bad it's in the bus. Otherwise you could tip it up a bit and flood the whole pump and pickup area.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is really hard to turn backwards it could be that for some reason the inlet side of the pump is totally clogged or plain blocked off. This would deadhead the pump when you try to turn it backwards and would all but guaranty you could not make oil pressure.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

velo96 wrote:
Should it be harder to turn the engine backward than forward?

Is the distributor installed?, if not the resistance may be the inadvertant remachining of the drive gear on the crank Shocked

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
velo96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I removed the pump cover and rotated the engine by hand and the pump turns. Not a drop of oil came out of the pump when i removed the cover. The ports are clean. The only thing I see is the top gear has been rubbing the the cover. I remember checking it with a feeler gauge and the dimensions being at the minimum. I wonder if with the cover on the shaft is spinning but the gear isn't? I had to press the shaft in further when i got the pump and i remember thinking it was quite easy but not enough to alarm me. Tomorrow I'm going to recheck the clearances and pack the pump with vaseline.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
I would squirt some oil in thru the plug holes to give it a bit of piston and ring lube.

be careful if you do this. you may never seat the rings if you flood the cyls with oil

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
velo96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Primed the pump with petroleum jelly and it took two seconds to have oil squirt out of the sender hole and loose oil filter. LESSON LEARNED!!! Thanks for everyones help!!
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

velo96 wrote:
Primed the pump with petroleum jelly and it took two seconds to have oil squirt out of the sender hole and loose oil filter. LESSON LEARNED!!! Thanks for everyones help!!

Awesome! Glad it worked out.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad it worked out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Desertbusman wrote:
I would squirt some oil in thru the plug holes to give it a bit of piston and ring lube.

be careful if you do this. you may never seat the rings if you flood the cyls with oil

I would like a bit of further explanation on this. Any oil that you squirt into the cylinder should be gone within minutes, so I don't see how it can have much affect on the seating of the rings. Never heard of anyone installing their pistons dry to speed up seating.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: