Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil on the clutch
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
redneckrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: oil on the clutch Reply with quote

i recently bought a 1977 bus with fuel injection, it was driving fine until i stopped to get gas and the clutch went. As I dont know much about the bus i ordered a new clutch kit and clutch cable, figured I'd change them both. When i got the motor out and removed the clutch I noticed that it appears like a build up of oil on the clutch face. If I change both the rear main seal and the o-ring inside the flywheel will this stop the leak.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it should. But also change the input shaft seal in the transmission just in case.

Welcome BTW Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends how much oil. If it was dripping wet you may have other issues. If it was just a light amount like dust then yes by all means change the oil seal, the o-ring, the seal in the trans too. Also check the gallery plugs to see if any are leaking. If they are the screw in kind then you need not worry about them. Some might suggest making a few peens over the gallery plugs to make sure they stay in. Put a little moly grease in the pilot bearing too and make sure the clutch slides smoothly on the input shaft before you bolt it up. I usually but a tiny film of moly grease on the input shaft splines to help the disk slide. It needs to do that as it works.

What was wrong with the clutch? If it started slipping they will do that when

1) the facings are worn out
2) the pressure plate gets old and weak
3) they get wet with oil
4) they are not kept adjusted. They tighten up and slip if freeplay is not maintained.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
redneckrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adjusted the cable where I was stuck at which did me no good, so when i got it home, i decided to go all new with the clutch and the cable, because I plan on driving it for awhile, and dont want any problems. The build up of the oil is just on the side facing the flywheel, and it has caked that side.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you inspect the lip of the old seal for wear? A seal typically lasts a long time, but once the wear reaches a certain point is will start to weep and may soon afterwards really begin to dump.
redneckrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed the o-ring and it broke apart so i think the major oil leak was the o-ring. which caused the clutch to fail
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: