Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Double-checking, am I missing a tin?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iprangen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Double-checking, am I missing a tin? Reply with quote

I checked the B-manual, but the picture is vague.

Besides the upper cylinder tin, is there a little tin that separates airflow on top of the cylinders? I don't think so, but I'm just checking.

I know that there is the small flat tin underneath the cylinders that pushes air sideways, but I'm just checking that there isn't one on top. I don't have flaps and its a 1600 DP in a '71.

Thanks!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the one built into the upper cylinder tin (upside down V), many aftermarket and chrome tins lack the piece.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
iprangen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again BusDaddy. I have original tin and that little piece is in place. I'm putting this longblock in for the second time and just tripple checking everything.

Very Happy
GeorgeO.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you. My complaint with Vendors is that they have the "You Don't Need It" mindset. Yes you do need that little piece of tin to divert cool air around your heads, both side, but especially #3 cylinder where cooling is a problem. Like a High Weather pressure front, if that tin is missing all you do is create a dam where the cool air gets heated and when it finally makes it way around the head, it is already hot. Yeah you can gets some nice looking tins from some of these vendors, but keep in mind, the stock dual port motor was suppose to get at least 90k before an overhaul or rebuild. With aftermarket tins, your lucky to get 60k with any reliability and if you spend at least 3k on your motor, does it make sense to go cheap on the most important part of your motor, cooling tins?...I say not. Keep up the good work and gives some pictures when your done.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that deflector is important. Mine have aftermarket cylinder tins but I fabbed and incorporated exact duplicates of those original deflectors.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: