Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

San Diego 1964 Father-Daughter Resto Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pink kitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Hedges wrote:
I do not need (nor have space for) another old VW that I would not choose to drive over the T34s or Double Cab. It's costing us money for insurance, takes up a parking space, and is a constant reminder of this ugly situation.

Unfortunately, I still have a short list of work to be done to complete it. Rims need to be painted & tires installed. Electrical needs to be tested. Exhaust needs to be changed (too loud), and the right-front brake drum needs to be replaced. It's funny that my attitude working on this car has instantly changed, just to get it finished & sold.

How much AS-IS?
CHUBB805
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Hedges wrote:
As for waiting around for Allison to change her mind back ... no thanks. It's an important life lesson that your decisions have consequences. I'm moving onto my truck resto and leaving Allison to live with her decision.

Good for you Lee! No time for games, there's a truck that needs fixin'
retroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad.... But i understand. On the other hand my 15.5 yr old grandaughter already calls my 67 her car. Later today i will teach her to drive it. Should be fun. I live in a very rural area much different than a metropolitan area. How much for your bug?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: San Diego 1964 Father-Daughter Resto Project Reply with quote

I agree with some of the other posts. You had more quality time with your daughter than you ever would have any other way. That can't be replaced. She'll always remember these two years with her Dad. I envy the experience you two had. My youngest son is in the Air Force, and I'd give anything to have had 'project' time like this with him. Car or no car, your 2 year project was a great success!! Congratulations.
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, all your comments, advice, & thoughtful reminders are really great to hear. There are phases to human emotions: anger, sadness, acceptance, & resolution. I've been stuck in the anger & sadness phases for the past week. Reading your pep-talks have helped me realize that it's just a car and what matters is the relationship I have with my daughter. So now I'm coping with the acceptance phase.

Finished painting the two-toned rim set today and should be able to mount the new radial tires next week.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I got the restored horn working with that beautiful full-circle horn ring (had to rewire the power down the column tube) and it works great! Next is to get the front light wires connected & tested. Then I can finish the dozen little things to finish it off. Would you recommend that I spray black undercoating under the fenders or leave them painted?

I've had several requests to buy the Beetle already. I know T34 values but have no idea what this finished 1964 Sedan should be worth. Daily driver condition with nice paint & new interior, fresh bumpers & trim, & loaded with functional accessories. There are not too many like it in the Samba ads, as most are customized or $15-20K "garage queen" restorations. I could use your collective advice on a proper value, not for insurance purposes but for selling it to the next owner.

I've made a quick web site to showcase the info, work, & current photos and will be updating the photos once I get the rims & tires installed.
http://leehedges.wix.com/seablue1964beetle
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Hedges wrote:
Would you recommend that I spray black undercoating under the fenders or leave them painted?
http://leehedges.wix.com/seablue1964beetle

I would leave that for the next owner to decide. It should not affect the value in any way.
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Hedges wrote:

1) She realizes how hard driving is and is terrified to drive a stickshift car
2) She is concerned about the reliability of the car. What if it breaks-down, or if it stalls in traffic & won't start?
3) She is concerned about the Beetle's safety if it's involved in an accident with modern cars. Her friends have told her their parents will not allow them to drive with her in the Beetle because it's too unsafe.

I think your daughter made a wise choice to get another vehicle. As much as I love the Classic Beetle it truly is a death trap if involved in a serious collision. They are primitive when it comes to active/passive safety features. They have been delegated to weekend cruisers and show cars here is my neck of the woods, you simply don't see many air cooled Bugs on the road anymore.
MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough that she made her decision but you are lucky with the relationship you have with her. I can only wish to have something like that with my daughter who is 19.

Why not discuss it with her & make sure it is what she really wants & not just spur of the moment thing. If it is what she wants then have her help you finish it up to sell it & then work together to find something that works for her. Do it together & she will learn to finish things up.
Update - third pc. found!
Now just need the case halves.
1965 fenderless beetle
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: San Diego 1964 Father-Daughter Resto Project Reply with quote

I feel so bummed for you right now, Lee. Sure, you two spent a lot of quality time together making Ellie what she is. The sad thing is that Allison will regret it down the road if you have to sell the car. As a dad, don't ask me why, I just have that feeling. I hope you can hang on to the car but I understand why you need to sell it. It's not the same as restoring a Toyota Corolla with a bunch of airbags. Best of luck, it's been a great thread and maybe she'll change her mind--you know how females can be sometimes... Smile
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that bugs me is the myth that Volkswagen Beetles were (are) death traps. I really don't remember back when these cars were everywhere, all that many bug owners being seriously maimed or killed in their ACVW's. I know Ralph Nader wrote a book about it, and I've never read what his issues were, but all I know is I've been in two ACVW wrecks in the sixties (both cars completely totaled), and I lived to write this little ditty today.

That being said, modern technology has come a long way when it comes to automobile safety. Too far, at times, I suppose. But not too far in the area of seat belt and air-bag technology. So is a modern car safer? Of course it is. But that doesn't mean all those millions of people who bought bugs back in the day were in for a sad day in the hospital or morgue.

We survived. And our cars? Well, they just rusted away.

I told my wife about this story, and she made the comment that Allison probably didn't come by her decision lightly--or just in the past few weeks. It was probably something that had been eating at her for a long time. And it was probably not an easy thing to let her father down and finally be more honest with him.

It takes courage to be totally honest. So, add that last experience to Allison's two-year adventure.

The odd thing is I can't imagine what the car is worth. I see all these ads for bugs in the Samba Classifieds, and the decent ones go from five to sixteen thousand dollars. I have to wonder if they really get that much money for the nicer cars. The fact that Ellie is an older model, as opposed to my 1974, will up the price, of course, as the older cars seem to get higher asking prices, and probably sell at higher prices. But after some research, a price will come--but expect to be talked down a grand so the buyer thinks he got the better of the deal. Buyers are so picky Rolling Eyes .

Let us know the price when you decide, Lee. The car may not be a complete restoration, but it's close.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
69judson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that bugs me is the myth that Volkswagen Beetles were (are) death traps. I really don't remember back when these cars were everywhere, all that many bug owners being seriously maimed or killed in their ACVW's. I know Ralph Nader wrote a book about it, and I've never read what his issues were, but all I know is I've been in two ACVW wrecks in the sixties (both cars completely totaled), and I lived to write this little ditty today.

The difference between then and now is that the average weight of a vehicle on the road today is in excess of 4,000 lbs. In the name of safety they just keep making them bigger and heavier. Our little cars would not stand a chance against one of these beasts. a few years ago I saw a guy here in my town driving a Porsche 356 get T boned by a woman driving an SUV. The impact speed was not too high (lucky for him!) But the 356 was an absolute mangled wreck. The SUV just had a broken plastic bumper cover. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69judson wrote:

The difference between then and now is that the average weight of a vehicle on the road today is in excess of 4,000 lbs. In the name of safety they just keep making them bigger and heavier. Our little cars would not stand a chance against one of these beasts. a few years ago I saw a guy here in my town driving a Porsche 356 get T boned by a woman driving an SUV. The impact speed was not too high (lucky for him!) But the 356 was an absolute mangled wreck. The SUV just had a broken plastic bumper cover. Crying or Very sad

I don't want to turn Lee's thread into a is a beetle a death trap or not thread, and I hear what you are saying, but it doesn't matter if you stack up a beetle against a 4000 +lb 1958 Cadillac, from back in the day, or a 4000 +lb 2014 Suburban, of today, the little beetle will loose. The difference today is that of the population, and the amount of cars on the road as compared to back in the day. Wink

Last edited by stale air on Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only the number of cars, but the fact that many of them are driven by idiots who are texting and paying zero attention to where they are going.
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
Not only the number of cars, but the fact that many of them are driven by idiots who are texting and paying zero attention to where they are going.

This
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: San Diego 1964 Father-Daughter Resto Project Reply with quote

69judson wrote:
a few years ago I saw a guy here in my town driving a Porsche 356 get T boned by a woman driving an SUV. The impact speed was not too high (lucky for him!) But the 356 was an absolute mangled wreck. The SUV just had a broken plastic bumper cover. Crying or Very sad

Funny, my 356 got hit from the right rear years ago by a brand new Camry. I got a dent, which I still have. The Camry was trashed, front valance falling off and all. I just feel so bad for Lee. This is very disappointing to say the least.
Marlonius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee, I haven't posted in this thread before, but I've watched it with interest all along. The news feels like a real blow to me, and I don't even know you.

I told my wife and showed her the thread. She feels bad for you, and worse for your daughter. She said that years from now, Allison will have a totally different set of friends and the regretful memory of how she hurt her dad and wasted a tremendous opportunity to have a unique vehicle to drive in her high school years and beyond.

Anyway, I'm hoping that somehow she comes to her senses before it's well and truly too late.

All the best.

M.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously?

"Come to her senses"?

"Regret"?

Perhaps Alison already came to her senses Wink .

The previous poster seems to think that a mistake was made. I can only assume that's because the fairytale didn't turn out with a happy ending for all. Even us chickens who looked on vicariously and wanted things to go the way we wanted them to go.

But what about what Allison wanted? That has to count for something.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing to consider....I'm not sure what Allison's college plans are, but cars generally take quite a beating when they go off to school for 3 or 4 years. If Allison gets the itch to own a bug after she finishes school, I'm sure she and her dad can track down a good one and she'll certainly have the skills to be a ACVW owner.

I think Allison made a very grown up decision here. There may be some financial consequences and a bit of a rough patch with dad, but theirs sounds like a bond that can handle a few bumps in the road.

Lee, thanks to you and Allison for sharing your story with us. And thank you for putting Ellie back on the road.
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I brought the freshly-painted stock rims down to Discount Tire for the new 165/80R15 radial tires to be installed. Made sure to tell them to put the balancing weights (if any) on the inside where they wouldn't show. Couple hours later I was cranking the floor jack & installing the new wheels. Connected the new speedo cable & C-clip and test-drove it. Speedo registers speed just fine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you gotten a price for it, yet, Lee?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Jump to:
Page 33 of 35

Jump to: