Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 Champagne Edition Find
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: 1978 Champagne Edition Find Reply with quote

Well, I wasnt really looking for another bay, but lo and behold, I found yet another. Now sadly, this one doesnt come with some super funny, well narrated story I'm afraid, because theres not much to tell. Admitedly, I do like bay rescue, so when someone told me about a "brownish bus" in need of my rescue services, I decided to look. So me and my trusty tow bar bought us a jumbo bag o funyuns and once again headed out into the wilds of Oklahoma with only a tiny pic and some ambiguous directions to follow.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I talked to the owners several times on the way and the directions got more and more like I was being lead to the proverbial lamb slaughter. For example, my last direction was "We are right across the street from the burned down house and pasture." And as the guy was hanging up, I heard: "Hey! Hes really here!" Uhm. Okay. When I arrived, I found some super nice people, who were more than willing to show me the bus. (Damn you over active imagination!) And Ill be dammed if it wasn’t a Champagne. I had sorta been looking for one of these.

So as the story goes, the kid selling it and his brother (the car guy) had been working on it steadily trying to get it to run and idle. They said (and the receipts support) purchases for a fuel pump, fuel injectors, MAF, plugs, wires and a German Supply FI fuel line kit. I was pleasantly surprised. The kid (and his brother) went on to explain how they had gotten it running, and he drove it to school, and……

Got hit by a guy with no insurance. Being a student, he couldn’t have it fixed, let it sit, and now it wont idle at all and has a major exhaust leak. He said he couldn’t bear to see it sit, and needed a tire for his now driver and to pay rent. So I opened the door.
Whoops! Fell off.

Bottom track is good, but this top part pops out. Ideas here? Scarring on the top part looks like its been that way a long time. Anyway, once looking inside I notice:

Full size bed! Score. Covered in some stank ass brown blanket. Yowza. Also I got some years fridge, which needs to be removed:

And a crap ton of parts. I turned the key, and it fired right off, and died right off, both with the same ear shaking exhaust roar. Hmm. Mental note for later. Interesting side note, do any of our viewers from the greater Oklahoma area recognize this bus? It has a samba sticker on it, and came with a Bentley. (I now have like three Bentleys, HA!) So I bought it. Simple as that.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim

Last edited by Kirk on Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I set off to find the nearest car wash (anyone remember I always wash a “find” before I go home? Well I found one, and after getting yelled at by the hillbilly proprietor to help him “fix this damn phone” (true story) I scrubbed it up real quick.

I got headed home, and 40 miles before I got there:

But I was able to pull over quickly and:

Back on the road, I got home with out any other problems. I am however concerned about two things I found, one being copius amounts of starting fluid and two being:

In the box of parts was a set of rings. That doesn’t bode well for me, me thinks. Cleo the cat, who inspects each one of my buses as I bring them home, gave her approval.

Even with the body damage, im actually pretty happy with the bus over all. It needs tons of work, but hey, what else do I have to do with my time, right? The rust is very very minimal, and well, its a Champagne. Smile Anyway, thanks again for reading, and only time will tell what happens, but I wanted to share.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim

Last edited by Kirk on Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine pics (sorry, camera died, iPhone quality only) Point out any and all flaws you see.

In case anyones counting, this is now the second member of HKUCBOO, the Hoss Kicked Unrunning Champagne Bays Of Oklahoma. Laughing

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice score Kirk!

I guess the chrome rear bumper was crushed in the wreck?

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
adventurebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lookin bus for sure!

does it have the clock?
Collie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find! Are there stripes under that paint?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Coal64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the point of by-passing the charcoal canister they way the p.o did?
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HKUCBOO 4 LYFE! The most exclusive club on the whole Samba. Laughing

Great find Kirk!! Lucky. My slider door did the same thing, the EXACT same thing. I have pics just like that in my 'pagne thread in the first few pages. I re-adjusted the top roller by scooting it up a little higher into the track and it has rolled and latched fine since.

You have a friend who can help you replace the corner?

It's a bummer that the stripes are gone! Interesting though, both of our 'pagnes have chrome front bumpers and parts bus rear bumpers. I guess that just comes with the territory. Sacrifices must be made in the name of HKUCBOO.

I went to look at 2 squarebacks way the hell out west of Tulsa once, and I had a similar experience with the locals and the insanity that is induced by the solitude of the outer rural areas. Really nice people though. Glad you made it out alive! AND KEEP US UPDATED!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
minispdrcr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol I also emailed them about this. Never heard a answer...

1969 Westfalia Weekender Edition
1973 Morris Mini 1300 Super
1998 Audi A6
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:

Looks like there was an AC Condenser installed at one point. If you don't install another condenser, you'll need a donor bus to chop out that corner and re-weld it in or you'll have overheating problems in no time. You might need a donor bus anyways for that rear corner Wink

Nice find though! Wish we had busses lying around in that good of condition in New England
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye...that is pretty hacked. Rolling Eyes I would just use aluminum insulation reflective-y tape when you get a foam seal in there. Then drive it like the Devil is chasing you! OKLAHOMA STYLE, y'all! YEEHAW! *fires shotgun into the air*
1970 Auto Fastback FI
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahaha. Since I have access to a welder I'll probably proper fix it. Now all I need is a parts late bay and a fist fulla dollars.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
Hahahaha. Since I have access to a welder I'll probably proper fix it. Now all I need is a parts late bay and a fist fulla dollars.

Bro-dawg:

If you DO get a parts bus, and you chop pieces off of it and have no use for it later...I can hide the body for you Twisted Evil

But for realsies- I'll buy the remains of the hypothetical-future-parts-bus if the side I need is good on it. We should talk if/when that time comes!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice score...
Paintedbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uberslow's Dopplgenger! Shocked

78 champagne edition... check
74 Rear camper interior w/ full width bed and cabinet... check
Vanagon captain's chairs, (though you have the color I want), even with outer arms removed! ... check
you even have the 73 westy cabinet that I am after next on my list! It's like a preview!

I have the wood floor and westy windows... just about a year ahead of you in getting mine.

The CE club is growing, the funky buses are coming out of the woodwork!
Awesome!

~"Paintedbus" Ken~
The Mobile Muralist
WWW.PAINTEDBUSART.COM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
phoneguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:
Kirk wrote:

Looks like there was an AC Condenser installed at one point. If you don't install another condenser, you'll need a donor bus to chop out that corner and re-weld it in or you'll have overheating problems in no time. You might need a donor bus anyways for that rear corner Wink

Nice find though! Wish we had busses lying around in that good of condition in New England

My bus also has that corner hacked out and it did have AC , please tell me VW didn't do that from the factory .

1971 Supervert
1977 Westfalia
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoneguy- Hellllllll no- it was a dealership thing I think.

Ken- your woman from this angle looks kinda like the April O'Neal from the first live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies. Idk if you've ever seen it, but it's rich with of-era hip-hop and hilarity. Aaaaaand April O'Neal drives a bus...a white splitty. Very Happy I haven't had my coffee...please forgive me buddy.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken mitchell wrote:
Uberslow's Dopplgenger! Shocked

78 champagne edition... check
74 Rear camper interior w/ full width bed and cabinet... check
Vanagon captain's chairs, (though you have the color I want), even with outer arms removed! ... check
you even have the 73 westy cabinet that I am after next on my list! It's like a preview!

I have the wood floor and westy windows... just about a year ahead of you in getting mine.

The CE club is growing, the funky buses are coming out of the woodwork!
Awesome!

That is funny. Smile To bad you arent closer, I'd swap you chairs. I have a feeling these will get covered in brown plaid along with the bed by an upholstery friend of mine. Smile Which 73 Westy cabinet? That fridge one? Again, wish you were closer. I have a jump seat for that area. Yay Champagnes!

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that is "the bear". Busboyjake rescued it. When I drove it, it didn't have the caved in rear passenger corner. He took care of it and brought it back online. It was a smooth bus at one time. Here is a pick of her in Bartlesville. He drove that bus everywhere.

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
okartguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bear lives! Take good care of 'im, Kirk.

'75 Westfalia "Project Orange Peel" https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10164122#10164122
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: