Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Side Tent thread FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TXBONE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thread! I just recently picked up a 69' campmobile from the original owner who bought it new in 69'. He also gave a me a giant file folder which he saved every maintenance record, receipts, bill of sale etc etc......

He also had under the rear seat, a nos side tent with nos poles and the whole 9.... He even still has in the file folder, the originL assembly direction and parts list of tent in German and English.

I'll take more pics once I unwrap the tent. Here is a pic of it still wrapped up. The original owner told me he never even took it out of the bag since 69'.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet lets see te set up without the @ Sean Colbert. Cool Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TXBONE wrote:
Cool thread! I just recently picked up a 69' campmobile from the original owner who bought it new in 69'. He also gave a me a giant file folder which he saved every maintenance record, receipts, bill of sale etc etc......

He also had under the rear seat, a nos side tent with nos poles and the whole 9.... He even still has in the file folder, the originL assembly direction and parts list of tent in German and English.

I'll take more pics once I unwrap the tent. Here is a pic of it still wrapped up. The original owner told me he never even took it out of the bag since 69'.

Wow, that tent looks really nice. Score! BTW, Jason either can't read or can't spell... Laughing Razz
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha. Just show us that nos Beaty! Every sorted detail.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a rolled up kayak to me.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
woofer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a slightly modern one but still a westy one

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin good! I like those pinstripes and rims.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
woofer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Lookin good! I like those pinstripes and rims.

Cheers but I don't own it any more got a karmann Missouri now. Still got that awning tho, but selling it as no longer required
Marya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Came with 1970 ASI/Riviera camper ;) Reply with quote

Thought a few of you might get a kick out of some of the paperwork that came with my grandpa's camper...

Hmmm well never mind - once again I'm having picture issues. Evil or Very Mad When I look at the images in the gallery, each image and its jpeg # are as they should be but when I copy/paste into this box, it just keeps repeating the first image. No idea why. So if you want to see the extremely funky side tent directions that came with this camper (same tent as the one in the image you do see here), you'll have to go to my gallery I guess. Sorry!

If anyone can help me fix that problem, I'd be grateful. Thanks!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude - Sweet. Cool

Looks to be in good shape - the brochure. Did the camper come with the tent?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Zebedee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Raleigh Motovilla i think.

Its faded over the past 30 or 40 years though.
Its also a little ratty (just like my westy) and has a smell like a wet dog. Laughing
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have the dimensions on the westy side tent bag? Mine recently was tossed by accident by a family member

I would really appreciate if someone would measure it for me
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Does anyone have the dimensions on the westy side tent bag? Mine recently was tossed by accident by a family member

I would really appreciate if someone would measure it for me

23 in wide 45 in long as laid flat on the floor
Ernie Punkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Fiamma Side Tents Reply with quote

Not a vintage tent option, but for those of us who aren't so lucky as to find a beautiful orange and brown stripe tent to go with our yellow or orange bus, or for those of us stuck with such mundane amenities as a Fiamma awning, I thought I'd share that Outwell brand makes side tents with pre-fitted slide in rails, that fit perfectly into the Fiamma awning cassette frame.

I thought I may be limited only to the add-a-rooms that Fiamma sells, but fortunately not. Does everyone know this and I am just catching on now?

A few other brands may have the same feature. I found this little gem that will be easy to manage at Camping World UK, and shipping is affordable.

http://tinyurl.com/maltwos

Not cheap, charming, or a reminder of camping a few decades ago, but I like that it doesn't render the pre-mounted awning useless. Can also be used as a free standing tent and in that case it matches my grey stripe awning. Also, it's pretty cool that it doesn't seem to have plastic windows. The mesh windows will help make it feel more like real camping. Razz
Ion Pod Trailer
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here they are - just in, lucky to have them!

Authentic Side Tent Cookies from Westfalia!

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
mrfixit454
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougB wrote:
I just picked up a tent from another Samba member (thanks, Ron) that has a variation I don't see in any of the other pics in this thread. Though it's the same color, same size, same materials, instead of metal loops for the tent stakes to go through, this tent had blue, molder rubber "loops" heat-bonded to the rubberized grey canvas of the tent's floor. If people haven't ever heard of this I can post a pic. A later model of the VW tent?

- Doug

Well I just picked up a similar version with the blue stake loops and curved zippered side window. You might have seen it on eBay for the past 2-3 months. It appears to have never been used, maybe setup a few times? There is no faded canvas and the guy lines look new, there is no dirt on either side of the floor. The problem is a few of these blue loops that are heat pressed on the gray bottom have come off. I knew this prior to the sale. They do appear heat pressed and I need to glue them back on. Was thinking PVC glue like above ground swimming pool patch kits. I was successful repairing one of the grep circle loops at the top by melting the ends together with a heated putty knife. Can't wait to take the family out and try it.

Fixit
2002 Jetta TDI - Pumping out the MPG!
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrfixit454 wrote:
DougB wrote:
I just picked up a tent from another Samba member (thanks, Ron) that has a variation I don't see in any of the other pics in this thread. Though it's the same color, same size, same materials, instead of metal loops for the tent stakes to go through, this tent had blue, molder rubber "loops" heat-bonded to the rubberized grey canvas of the tent's floor. If people haven't ever heard of this I can post a pic. A later model of the VW tent?

- Doug

Well I just picked up a similar version with the blue stake loops and curved zippered side window. You might have seen it on eBay for the past 2-3 months. It appears to have never been used, maybe setup a few times? There is no faded canvas and the guy lines look new, there is no dirt on either side of the floor. The problem is a few of these blue loops that are heat pressed on the gray bottom have come off. I knew this prior to the sale. They do appear heat pressed and I need to glue them back on. Was thinking PVC glue like above ground swimming pool patch kits. I was successful repairing one of the grep circle loops at the top by melting the ends together with a heated putty knife. Can't wait to take the family out and try it.

Fixit

Nice looking tent & beautiful classic Romanesque setting... but honestly, wouldn't a plastic kiddie pool be more practical to carry along for camping? Rolling Eyes
68 Westy
(+ others)
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyPop wrote:
mrfixit454 wrote:
DougB wrote:

- Doug

Fixit

Nice looking tent & beautiful classic Romanesque setting... but honestly, wouldn't a plastic kiddie pool be more practical to carry along for camping? Rolling Eyes

Whaaaat Confused Question

I dont know about you but I personally take up lots of space. When and if I camp, Im taking along an add a room - any kind of tent. I have four almost full grown kids and they take up lots of space. Then add the Mrs and her kid then and by then its more practical to bring a whole nuther bus Laughing

So Im not trying to stack up bodies in the bus like cord wood for sleepy time. They can sleep in the 6x9 Westfalia tent seen above Wink

But I see your point. A kiddie pool is an awesome addition for those close families that like to toob down the river together literally. Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyPop wrote:

Sorry... snide comment was in reference to the concrete fountain, in front of the Westy tent. No disrespect of the tent at all; mine is the same model & condition. Perfect bunkroom for the crew!
68 Westy
(+ others)
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

No worries Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 25

Jump to: