Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Side Tent thread FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Backn86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Well like I said, Im getting two - yes two Westfalia trailers from the fatherland to help haul my swag Cool I may keep the two, I may not so keep in touch Andy if you want a real Westfalia trailer. Wink

Which ones did you get and when are you getting them? I'd love a Westy trailer, but they tend to cost more than what I paid for my bus Sad

peaceful warrior wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Love this trailer, it's exactly what I'm looking for...
BugIn.com | Ovals Only | West Coast Bays | Orange County Type 3s
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boesen wrote:
Tonight was Christmas Early, Wedding Anniversary, and Birthday all rolled into one. Very Happy Found out from some friends of a Side Tent for possible sale last week here locally. Did some corresponding with the owner the last few days. Took my wife with me tonight as she was curious to see it. Long story short, she knew the previous owner when she was younger. Her and her daughter grew up and were best friends growing up. Shocked They caught up on old times and memories, while I set the tent partially up. Baffled by the great shape it was in, my heart was racing and was full of joy!

Got the story of the Bus they use to own back in the early 70's. Apparently they sold the Bus back in 1972. They had held onto the tent thinking they would use it again. It was put in basement in plastic bag, with the poles, stakes,and storage bags in 1972. Never brought out again until tonight. Amazing that this tent has sat in a basement, two years longer than I have been alive. Shocked
I asked how much she was asking, and she had not thought about a price. My wife and I explained the value of them nowdays to her and how we didn't want to screw her or screw ourselves. She still didnt want to set a price, and wanted to just be rid of it and see it go to another good home. My wife says to her "How does $200 sound?" The lady replies "Works for me, and for you guys. Consider it the" family" price. Anyone else Id ask for more now that I know howmuch they are worth" Laughing Much thanks to my wife for the gift and the previous owner for the deal.

Plan to set it up fully this weekend and repair a small pinhole in a screen, and retreat the canvas.

Boesen, that is a sweet score! That story in itself is priceless. Cant wait to see it next to your bus. Cool

Andy - You know me, If its worth doing I tend to do it all the way. Im getting two of these.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1353549

One with the covered wagon top like this, the other with just the rack. So yes you know they will be pricey. BUT you do not see them here in the states. I just wanted to teeeaaase a bit and brag. This is the wrong thread for this. So when I get them, Ill have to post a pic of it because the main reason for getting a Westfalia Trailer is to haul my Westfalia Tent Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Boesen wrote:
Tonight was Christmas Early, Wedding Anniversary, and Birthday all rolled into one. Very Happy Found out from some friends of a Side Tent for possible sale last week here locally. Did some corresponding with the owner the last few days. Took my wife with me tonight as she was curious to see it. Long story short, she knew the previous owner when she was younger. Her and her daughter grew up and were best friends growing up. Shocked They caught up on old times and memories, while I set the tent partially up. Baffled by the great shape it was in, my heart was racing and was full of joy!

Got the story of the Bus they use to own back in the early 70's. Apparently they sold the Bus back in 1972. They had held onto the tent thinking they would use it again. It was put in basement in plastic bag, with the poles, stakes,and storage bags in 1972. Never brought out again until tonight. Amazing that this tent has sat in a basement, two years longer than I have been alive. Shocked
I asked how much she was asking, and she had not thought about a price. My wife and I explained the value of them nowdays to her and how we didn't want to screw her or screw ourselves. She still didnt want to set a price, and wanted to just be rid of it and see it go to another good home. My wife says to her "How does $200 sound?" The lady replies "Works for me, and for you guys. Consider it the" family" price. Anyone else Id ask for more now that I know howmuch they are worth" Laughing Much thanks to my wife for the gift and the previous owner for the deal.

Plan to set it up fully this weekend and repair a small pinhole in a screen, and retreat the canvas.

Boesen, that is a sweet score! That story in itself is priceless. Cant wait to see it next to your bus. Cool

Andy - You know me, If its worth doing I tend to do it all the way. Im getting two of these.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1353549

One with the covered wagon top like this, the other with just the rack. So yes you know they will be pricey. BUT you do not see them here in the states. I just wanted to teeeaaase a bit and brag. This is the wrong thread for this. So when I get them, Ill have to post a pic of it because the main reason for getting a Westfalia Trailer is to haul my Westfalia Tent Cool

Liar C'mon Jas, you know you just like cool accessories. Wink Laughing
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting corner on the frame on that one, is that made from an EMT elbow?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this a new or vintage tent? Pretty cool. Anyone know where to get one?

fig wrote:

I like this one a lot, but it's not good for pop-top buses:

poptop tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a trailer thread or thread title change!
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Interesting corner on the frame on that one, is that made from an EMT elbow?

Yes there are two sections on the corner where her husband had fixed them back in the day. Solid though and works fine. Ill snap some more photos this weekend upon complete set-up. Maybe the photos will give others helpful tips on repairs they may need.
fig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Was this a new or vintage tent? Pretty cool. Anyone know where to get one?

fig wrote:

I like this one a lot, but it's not good for pop-top buses:

It was made in South Africa, most likely in the 1970s or 80s. It's the only one I've ever seen.

"Don't make a fuss, just get on the bus ..."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poptop tom wrote:

I would of loved to have the trailer thread going, but there is one already!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=452465&highlight=trailer

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
poptop tom wrote:

Jason, when are you going to fil us in on your 2 Westfalia trailers from Germany? Enquiring bus lovers want to know!

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westfabulous wrote:
notchboy wrote:
poptop tom wrote:

Jason, when are you going to fil us in on your 2 Westfalia trailers from Germany? Enquiring bus lovers want to know!

Just know this for now. I bought 2 Westfalia Trailers from Holland. I dont have them yet so the details will have to wait till they are in my grubby little hands Twisted Evil

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
poptop tom wrote:

A little deviation never hurts! Wink Laughing
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weather was beautiful today so decided to set up the newly aquired side tent. Retreated the canvas for water repellency, and seam sealed the inside seams. Took some measurements, so I can make a rainfly for the top over the winter too.

Have a few questions though on alignment and placement of the tent in accorddance with the slider door. The connections or vestibule (don't knowcorrect name)that attach to Bus, does one connect between slider front frame and passenger door and the other behind back tire? Connect to rim or Question

Also that grey rubber that attaches to rain gutter was quite the chore to connect. But was able to get that.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got that too far forward, the front door should be able to open enough to crash into the pole Mad , the rear hook goes on the rear edge of the rear wheel well or just behind it. The front of the opening should line up with the front edge of the slider opening. And yes that plastic strip is a challenge, a little silicone lube helps but technique from a few tries goes a long way too, it sure is weatherproof when you finally do get it on there.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
You've got that too far forward, the front door should be able to open enough to crash into the pole Mad , the rear hook goes on the rear edge of the rear wheel well or just behind it. The front of the opening should line up with the front edge of the slider opening. And yes that plastic strip is a challenge, a little silicone lube helps but technique from a few tries goes a long way too, it sure is weatherproof when you finally do get it on there.

Very Happy Danke Schon Busdaddy! I figured the plastic strip out after about 12 different tries and techniques Laughing
Right before I took the tent down this evening, I was moving the Bus back and forth trying to judge where I needed to be for the side connections. It was getting late so wanted to get the tent down and put away. Thanks for the pointers/directions will try it out this next weekend. Anybody have any idea for corner pole bottoms as I'm missing one of the black ones.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boesen wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Very Happy Danke Schon Busdaddy! I figured the plastic strip out after about 12 different tries and techniques Laughing
Right before I took the tent down this evening, I was moving the Bus back and forth trying to judge where I needed to be for the side connections. It was getting late so wanted to get the tent down and put away. Thanks for the pointers/directions will try it out this next weekend. Anybody have any idea for corner pole bottoms as I'm missing one of the black ones.

I was going to replace all my pole bottoms with rubber ends with washers in them from Home Depot. Those OG plastic platform ones are all broke on mine and dont do much but hold out dirt.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit the local bicycle shop, some of the caps that come on the ends of the axles to keep them from poking through the cardboard box look reaaaaalllly close.

Слава Україні!
Jerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my nos white stag tent...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/983852.jpg

thevwcompound *instagram*
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry wrote:

TOOB Member #15
Brian
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry wrote:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/983852.jpg

That looks like the same kind I have? Can you get a better pic of the pic on the side of the box?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 25

Jump to: