Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saga Engine Rebuild 1971 Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: 900 Mile road trip Up the Oregon Coast to Astoria and back Reply with quote

Its now March 2013 and its been 6 months since I set the end-play and put the CB performance large opening racing push rod tubes on to accommodate the 1.25 Ratio Rockers. Bus has a little over 2000 miles on it since doing this engine work. It's been on a 900 mile trip up the Oregon Coast and back. There is not any noticeable end-play at the engine pulley when I check it now!
Oil leaks are minimal some from the Main Seal which I should have changed but did not as it still was soft. It is leaking just a little not bad at all. I think it is due to the end-play adjustment moved the flywheel further out so the seal is now riding on a new and smaller dia. place on the flywheel seal radius or perhaps the end-play problem it had before opened up the Main Seal a little and it's not sealing well now. There is a little oil coming down the #1,#2 side of the engine case not bad. I tried to be careful when I had the heads off not to brake the cylinder to case seals but I did brake #1 where I just added some gasket seal and put it back together it must be what is leaking. Will Post Photos below!
It should be noted that the engine has not been cleaned before these photos this is 2000 miles and 6 months of accumulation.
#1,#2 Side:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

#3,#4 Side:

Looking out the Bay window on the Coast Road to Astoria Oregon:

Bus mascot Meanie watches over driver and passengers on the way to Astoria Oregon.

OverLooking:

The Bridge over the Columbia river:

Return trip Camping:

Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff DanWVW!!! Looks like a nice trip. Get out there and enjoy it, and I hope the bus kkeps going for you.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I question whether those are real or photoshopped photos. How come there in no oil drops under that engine - huh? Really drive it you say - eh? Come on, tell us the truth, we can take it. Smile
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I question whether those are real or photoshopped photos. How come there in no oil drops under that engine - huh? Really drive it you say - eh? Come on, tell us the truth, we can take it. Smile

Even without a road draft boot? Shocked
I admit I leak a little bit, but I pull that kind of milage every few weeks. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for checking the Engine pictures out, Actually I did not know about the Road Draft Boot's. I will need to get one. The bus does not get driven enough these days. But with the previous engine it was driven to work everyday for several years and we made several cross country trips. Thinking about a trip from Oregon to Colorado but want to get the spare motor together first.
Yup. No oil leaks to speak of, not adding oil between changes. Cross my fingers and knock on wood.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up Date: the 1641cc is coming out for new bearings and end-play repairs. Still was running fine though. My U-Tube Video: http://youtu.be/hW9j5YiEplo
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Is there such a thing as a 3rd over thrust bearing? Reply with quote

The end play had gotten worse over the last year. The case is egg shaped at the flywheel main bearing while the others look OK, lifters look good, Need to take some measurements to see if the case can be saved.

My notes say that this case has been already thrust cut to 2nd over and has been aligned bored to to .060" on the mains. Anyone know if there is such a thing as a 3rd over thrust bearing so I can save the case?

Main Bearing Numbers.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: What should I build out of my old 1641 Engine? Reply with quote

After taking the 1641 apart I discovered the case main thrust was less than 2nd, 20mm so I found another case. It's a bug case though but I am thinking I can run an adaptor on it when I need it for my 1971 VW Sundial camper Bus.
The case seems to be in good condition and the thrust is standard and the Main Bearing Bore is 1st over.

The 1641 Engine was running fine when I took it out and not using any oil. It only had 25000 miles on it. The 87mm pistons and cylinders should be good still as well as the (35.5 32) valve heads which have 1.25 Ratio Rockers on them and solid rocker shafts and swivel feet adjusters, The stock cam and lifters are in good condition. The Crank although running fine feels a little worn. I have a used 74 mm counterweighted crank a friend sold me and am thinking I should build another 74 mm stroke engine.
What should I build? Just put it back together with the 1641 or build another 1800cc type 1, with 88 mm piston and cylinders. But if I use the old cylinders, would that be a bad idea to re run them with more stroke? Perhaps it would work if I put in Total Seal Rings! But all the decisions aside but this one now. As the subject says: What should I build out of my old 1641 Engine? It would be nice to have it for a ready to go spare engine for either a bug or a bus.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I build out of my old 1641 Engine? Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
would that be a bad idea to re run them with more stroke.

How old are we talking?, any noticeable wear?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have been in the 1641 for 11 years and have 25000 miles on them. Still can see some hone pattern through the shine of the cylinders. Have to check to see if I can feel a ridge again but I don't think there is one. I have run old pistons and cylinders in the past on other engines but they did burn a little oil when I did that! Thanks for the Reply!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
They have been in the 1641 for 11 years and have 25000 miles on them. Still can see some hone pattern through the shine of the cylinders. Have to check to see if I can feel a ridge again but I don't think there is one. I have run old pistons and cylinders in the past on other engines but they did burn a little oil when I did that! Thanks for the Reply!

bottle brush the cylinders and stick new rings in. Measure the ring land side play now to see how bad it is compared to specs. If it is within specs go for it. If the ring lands are out of spec you'll need new pistons but it is easier to just buy a whole set.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to decide just what to do with this engine! Took another look at the cylinders and pistons. There is a little tiny bit of a ridge in the cylinders. Looks like the 87mm pistons are AA brand. The thing is they look kind of heavy just like the AA 88mm I just put in the bus's 1800cc type 1! I am wondering if a lighter piston would not be nice for this next motor. Are the Cofap or Mahle or Wesco lighter?
Mahle 85.5mm Pistons
AA Brand 87mm Pistons
88mm Pistons
Wiseco Pistons 94mm
Looks like the Wiseco are only available in the 94mm size!
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Any Ideas for Modifying a Bug case for use in a 71 Bus? Reply with quote

I found an other good used case the only thing is, it's not a Bus Case. It's Likely a California Beetle Case 1971 or 2 with 10 mm studs. So I am wondering it can be modified in some way to use in the bus. I know about the VW Engine Case rear mount adaptor kits but they would seem to rule out the full flow oil pump cover, So I am wondering if there is a way to modify a full flow pump cover to extend out for the needed missing rear mount hole?

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan - re choosing worn and parts that must be modified to fit - you must really like taking these things apart again and see it as a challenge.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really do not want to try to mess with mixing type 1 with type 4 engine setup. Stay with type 4 engine blocks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, It is a 1971 (Type 1 Engine Bus) and the Engine Case I am thinking of re-building is also a type 1 Engine. Not sure what VW was thinking when they made these cases with only two of the three needed mount places!

telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They probably saved a nickel on each case by leaving off the rear mount lugs...

I'd not mess with the bug case. Trade it on a good bus case, and save yourself the grief of a mickey-mouse rear mount.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Well, It is a 1971 (Type 1 Engine Bus) and the Engine Case I am thinking of re-building is also a type 1 Engine. Not sure what VW was thinking when they made these cases with only two of the three needed mount places!

Oops, my bad there! Yeah I know what you're saying. I can't see that at least having an untapped boss on all cases wouldn't have been a bad idea.

I've seen some "interesting" mount solutions over the years... and none of them were that great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Soon to rebuild the Original Engine from 1971 Bus Reply with quote

Well it has taken me several months but I believe I have come up with a case to re-build the original engine from my 1971 Bus with. It has the rear Mount holes etc. I think it may be a Type 3 case, the SN starts with a "U" and is stamped on top rather than the Gen/Alt Stand Base. The Thrust is 1st cut and the the case has been previously align bored 1st over I think? But it is a little hammered out I am hoping it will clean-up at 2nd over on the align bore and not need the thrust cut again.

Probably just build another type 1 1800cc as also found a used 74mm crank!
Will need to source Rods, Cam & Lifters and Heads (The Original Heads are GO-1's with slight cracking. Have a used W-100 cam I could run. Not sure what that would involve, Probably having it turned and new lifters?
Type 3 Universal case to rebuild Original Engine from 1971 Bus with:

SN Stamped on top of Case:

Original Engine from my 1971 Bus.

GO-1 Heads with about 26000 miles on them, have some cracking starting.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Will the 90.5 Piston skirts clear Crankshaft? Reply with quote

Thinking it would be nice to not have to clearance the piston skirts like I had to on the type 1 1800.
Does anyone know if the 90.5mm Pistons will clear my 74mm crank when I use the short 5.325" Rods?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: