Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saga Engine Rebuild 1971 Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Help! Can't remove old case savers! Reply with quote

Well I will try this, Sounds like my thread must be too Old to be seeable but I will ask one more question in hope someone one will know the answer.
Ok so this case that I am working with to build the original engine with has some not all it's case inserts in it. They are 14mm X 2 X 10mm Inserts but the #3 top outside insert looks to have not been screwed in all the way. It's near the surface like the others. I have tried everything I know to remove it and it will not budge! Any Ideas on how to get these old 10mm Case savers out? I would like to change them for 14mm X 2 X 8mm Inserts so I can run 8mm studs.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Spare Type 1 Engine Machine cost so far. Reply with quote

Took the case to the shop and they just put in new case savers where they were missing and not sure what he did about #3 but it is nicely threaded in deep now. Looks like I will be sticking with 10mm studs! Need to decide on cam lifters and rods next?

Cost were:
$50.00 Align Bore to .080",
$15.00 Thrust Cut to 2nd (I did not think the shop was going to do this but they did!)
$20.00 CaseSavers fix,
$15.00 Tap and Plug Oil passages for full flow,
$50.00 Surface Flywheel,
$10.00 Glass Bead Flywheel,
$18.00 Polish 74mm crank (Standard),
$50.00 Balance Crank & Flywheel Note! had to grind a lot off the crank to make it balance,
$38.00 Main Bearings S/.080"/2nd (Mahle Original),
$20.00 Rod Bearings Std. (Kolbenschmidt),
$20.00 Double Thrust Cam Bearings (SilverLine).
$300 Plus Total!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now its just my opinion but .080" over on the bore is a bit much.

Personaly I would never use anything past .040" over

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Duncan wrote:

By chance, is your past experience with non-ACVW engines? Boring out cylinders in the block on water cooleds is a different ballgame.
As far as our bus engines I'm against going large for various reasons.

Dan, in your cost list I don't see case inspection. Did they give your case a professional go over for cracks? A while back I totally went over a case cleaning and then seriously inspecting for cracks. But then a pro builder went over it with his torch and found a fatal crack that could not be seen without the heat to open it up enough for the telltale dampness to appear.
ortak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: 68 engine Reply with quote

Deleted
http://www.jkortak.com/home/restorations

Last edited by ortak on Thu May 22, 2014 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
Mr.Duncan wrote:

By chance, is your past experience with non-ACVW engines? Boring out cylinders in the block on water cooleds is a different ballgame.
As far as our bus engines I'm against going large for various reasons.

Dan, in your cost list I don't see case inspection. Did they give your case a professional go over for cracks? A while back I totally went over a case cleaning and then seriously inspecting for cracks. But then a pro builder went over it with his torch and found a fatal crack that could not be seen without the heat to open it up enough for the telltale dampness to appear.

I was talking about the main bore, and I only work on aircooleds.

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: 80 Thousandths Align Bore Reply with quote

Mr.Duncan wrote:

I had not really noticed It was 80 thousandths over. On the paper the shop sent back it just says Mains are (S/80/2nd)
I looked on the Mofoco site here and they don't even show an 80 over OD main bearing! The case center main journal measures 2.625" 2 5/8" The Main Bearings are marked EXT.2,00-INT.STD and on the box is written S/80-/2- They seem to be a nice press fit.
Found this link: Main bearing size question on a type 1 With this info:
Line Bore
Std 65mm
1st 65.5mm
2nd 66mm
3rd 66.5mm
4th 67mm
Looks like it is 80 over but the bearings the shop made fit! Why would this be a problem? An 80 thousandths strip of case material would not be strong enough to hold anything. Probably snap like pencil lead. "Shoot!" What do they cut the center main case journal to when they run those flanged cranks with a Type 4 Main bearing? 2 3/4"?
And Desertbusman your making me think about things I never thought about. Sure I looked for cracks with a magnifying glass and it's been checked probably with the naked eye by both shops here. But seriously "Take a torch to a case?"!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem is the webs get weak the bigger the l/b is. i would barely be intereseted in using that case for a stock build.....for a bug

not to say that it can't be done, but you better bring your A game, and get everything balanced within a gnats ass of perfect (which should be done for any engine, imho)

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Duncan wrote:
I was talking about the main bore, and I only work on aircooleds.

My bad Embarassed , for some wierd reason I was talking about something else. That's way to much to hog out bearing saddles.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not worried about it, It's already balanced and ready to go together. The 74mm crank I have was a used UnKnown too. It took a lot to get it balanced but my guy says it's all good.
In the process of picking a cam for it! Which cam, heads and exhaust would you run and why? Thinking it will be The Eagle Racing Cam CB2231 with a valve lift of .344" (1.1's) and .391" (1.25's) it's advertised as having 268' Degrees of dwell and has a 228' @ 50 Spec.. Plan on building the engine to look totally stock using the Original Bus engine Pict 34/3 Solex carburetor but have the option of adding 1.25 Ratio Rockers etc and Dual Dellorto 36mm Carbs. Pistons and Cylinders will either be Stock 85.8mm or the AA 88mm Thickwall slip in bottom machine in top Pistons and Cylinders.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Cam Clearance Reply with quote

Anyone know how much is safe to remove from a cam gear?
Took 65 Thousandths off the cam gear and 90 off the back of the oil pump to get the CB-2231 Cam's bolts to clear the new Schadek 26mm Oil Pump:

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.....interesting predicament......

I've seen cam gears cut a bit more that survive just fine, myself I'd explore removing some of the bolt heads as the only need for the full head is torque when installing and with a good wrench you can shave some off and still reach the required torque.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Maybe I will do that, as I have another gear that is un-cut. Did the cam bolts on my last engine. Thought this was kind of cool though, used my wood router!

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: CB-2231 Camshaft Buyers Remorse Reply with quote

I have kind of been waiting for things to come together on this engine. The in-expensive way to go from here would be to run the old 1641cc engine heads with 25K miles on them. Below is a Photo of the #3 Chamber which has little tiny cracks around the spark plugs. #4 has them too but the #1,#2 head did not have the cracks. I am wondering if these heads are worth porting? Also I am having mixed feelings about my choice in cam's, I am concerned the CB-2231 may not be a good cam for a bus. (Worried the engine will bog with it on take off worse than the old 1641 with the stock cam and 1.25:1 ratio rockers did.)

Last edited by Danwvw on Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
.............cracks around the spark plugs. ............... I am wondering if these heads are worth porting?............

Unless you know a really skilled head guru that can weld those before porting don't even bother, that head will be spitting out sparkplugs every few hundred miles.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, your probably right about a blow out. I have already been through the spark plug blow out thing with the other engine in the bus now. The shop finally got it welded where it held though. Looked pretty weird though but it's holding after the second try welding.
Here is a photo of that head. I put it on the #2!

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
0.060-0.080 is usually running clearance.
Loose the washers go with this stile of bolts. File the heads flush. Use red loctite.
https://chircoestore.com/cam-gear-bolts-set-of-3-f...fgodQCwAqg

Sorry about the earlier post. I had overlap stuck in my head. I know just enough about cams to get me in trouble.
Cam grinders have it down to a science. So if you give them your engine and vehicle specifications. They can determine which cam is best for your application. You want what is commonly revered to as a RV cam. Good usable torque threw the rpm range.

A little info.
http://www.phnet.fi/public/hefor1/eng/vwinfoca.htm

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/How_to_choose_a_camshaft

Good Luck
Tcash
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: CB-2231 Camshaft? Reply with quote

Thanks for the links "Tcash" will check them out! I had the following already written up when you posted.

Anyway the problem is now I am un-certain how to proceed.
1. Go with the W-100 which won't help MPG's, Just a well build another Full race engine.
2. Figure out the best of both worlds, Great MPG's with the Dual carbs and the CB-2231 Camshaft and perhaps some of the 39mm or 40mm intake valves while retaining the stock 32mm exhaust valves? I have heard that is how to stop the bogging. (I don't know probably would not bog with the Dual Carbs!) Bogging is probably a single carb manifold thing! Wondering about the RevMaster 049's or the L-5's probably way too much head for a 88mm bore! (I don't know might work with the low lift of the CB-2231 camshaft!) Possibly a set of one of the Steve Tims, A.J. Sims heads but which ones?
I wonder just what cam "Vino" used? In his little Type 1 Engine VW Bus Limo Project- Need Motor Advice?

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Can I run a mild cam with 40X35.5mm valve heads in my bus? Reply with quote

Type 1 engine, (88mm bore) X (74mm stroke) Dual 36mm DRLA Carbs:

Danwvw wrote:
The problem is now I am un-certain how to proceed.
1. Go with the W-100 which won't help MPG's, Just a well build another Full race engine.
2. Figure out the best of both worlds, Great MPG's with the Dual carbs and the CB-2231 Camshaft and perhaps some of the 39mm or 40mm intake valves while retaining the stock 32mm exhaust valves? I have heard that is how to stop the bogging. (I don't know probably would not bog with the Dual Carbs!) Bogging is probably a single carb manifold thing! Wondering about the RevMaster 049's or the L-5's probably way too much head for a 88mm bore! (I don't know might work with the low lift of the CB-2231 camshaft!) Possibly a set of one of the Steve Tims, A.J. Sims heads but which ones?

Getting pretty close to Ordering some heads! I think I will make some phone calls about this does anyone have any experience running the CB-2231 cam?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need special bolts for the cam that have been milled to make the heads thinner. Also the oil pump idler needs to be pinned with that much metal removed.

The heads can be welded but the seats need to come out as the cracks are diving under them. Since this is a T1 engine I'd just replace the heads with new and sell those as cores. It is likely the guides are worn out too or close to it.

I can't speak on whether .080" over on the main is an acceptable practice today, but back in the 70's and 80's no quality machinist would go past .040" on a case before it was considered a throw away case. One could find .060" oversize bearings but such a case was considered worn out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: