Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saga Engine Rebuild 1971 Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Need Help figuring out best Cam Gear Position? Reply with quote

The cam card info says it was measured with zero lash, Going to go back and do that and see how the numbers look This bug pack Adjustable cam gear came with Gold Washers for (+-4'), Silver Washers for (+-2'), and Black Washers for (0').

Any reason why advance would help MPG's?

Last edited by Danwvw on Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Retarding the cam? To some extent it changes the valve timing to make the Opening Numbers a lot closer to a more stock-ish cam grind like the Webcam Type 1 Grind #86: If I retard this Webcam Grind #118 just 4' then the numbers I'm reading look like this actually pretty close to the 118 grind specs, still nowhere as tame as the 86 though!

Zero Lash:@ .050" Numbers:
Intake Open: 14' BTDC Exhaust Open: 49' BBDC
Intake Close: 52' ABDC Exhaust Close: 13' ATDC
Intake Lift with 1.1 .409", duration 246'
Exhaust Lift with 1.1 .405, duration 242'
Any advice, thoughts, opinions?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
What about Retarding the cam? To some extent it changes the valve timing to make the Opening Numbers a lot closer to a more stock-ish cam grind like the Webcam Type 1 Grind #86: If I retard this Webcam Grind #118 just 4' then the numbers I'm reading look like this actually pretty close to the 118 grind specs, still nowhere as tame as the 86 though!

Zero Lash:@ .050" Numbers:
Intake Open: 14' BTDC Exhaust Open: 49' BBDC
Intake Close: 52' ABDC Exhaust Close: 13' ATDC
Intake Lift with 1.1 .409", duration 246'
Exhaust Lift with 1.1 .405, duration 242'
Any advice, thoughts, opinions?

what is the lobe center of each grind? Also there is nothing wrong with calling Steve at Webcam and asking him an opinion.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Intake full lift points or lobe center is 116' of crank rotation ATDC and the Exhaust lobe center is 120' BTDC, To get the correct 108' Cam Degrees LSA I had to use the Open/Close @.050 numbers then it comes out 108.25, I could try going on each side of the center say .1" of lift and calculate the actual lobe center that way because there is about 8' of crank rotation where lift is unchanged at full lift.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Rod Balancing Woe's Reply with quote

I have been trying to get back to building this spare engine. Finally got the Grant Rings for the 88's, and have been doing the balancing of the Pistons, Rods, Wrist-Pins etc... could not for the life of me get reliable end-balance weights on the rods though. Just settled for matching their total weights, they were already very close. Here are the Photos:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Danwvw on Tue May 12, 2015 12:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job,, Now quit fart'n around an Git-er-done Wink Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: L3's Reply with quote

Ordered the Heads, going with L3's sent my ports to have them matched. Will be going with these: DRD L3 Heads. Ask to have them CC'sed to 53cc of chamber volume.
I need to decide where to run the retard on the Webcam 118, I found it's Open degrees to be similar to the Webcam 163 cam card. seems to be almost the same cam but with less lift! If I run the 1.25 Ratio Rockers it will have about .460" of lift. on both Intake and Exhaust.
I kind of hate to advance it because it's already out there and if I retard it that may take away torque so probably will just run it Zero Advance.

Have pretty much everything but want to get an engine stand before I start the final assembly.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: L3 Heads Reply with quote

The L3 Heads Arrived, Now just need to decide on cylinder shims.
Given:
Bore 88mm
Stroke 74mm
Deck measured 16"-18" Thousandths no shims,
53cc heads,
Calculations: CB-Performance Engine Calculator
With .020" shims and .018" it would be 38 thousandths total deck height.
Compression Ratio would be 8.6:1.
Without shims .018" Deck would give a CR of 9.1:1.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Heads Making Sounds When Torqued Reply with quote

Got the heads on today! Anyone else had their 043 China heads make sounds when there torqued? Will Post Photos later!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Heads Making Sounds When Torqued Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Got the heads on today! Anyone else had their 043 China heads make sounds when there torqued? Will Post Photos later!

Were the head studs extremely clean and then oiled?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did not oil them but they did have some paint on them! It did not feel like the head nut stuck or anything. Just a couple of sharp rings from each head when torqued!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm late to this party, but how did the barrels fit in the heads?, slight side play or tight?. Any lapping compound left on the sealing faces?. Any head gasket rings used?

Might try a loosen and retorque, but crunchy noises either mean something forcing itself past something or cracks forming, I assume you put a straightedge across the barrel tops to confirm they were all even?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The barrels were about right as far as hole diameter. Loose slip fit! You know I never did any surfacing on the cylinders as everything is new. The heads were pretty clean looking but may have been somthing still on them, I did not think to clean them! I don't know It may just be my case inserts! I think they may be moving! No gasket! Just .020 Shim.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Aluminum Heads and Manifold and Rocker Studs and Thread Seal Reply with quote

So what should be used for the threads on the studs that go into the heads? Anti seize? Threadlocker?

Photo of Head to Cylinder fit:

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean exhaust and rocker studs nothing at all is fine, but a tiny drop of blue locktite on the rocker studs wouldn't hurt. Neverseez is handy on the exhaust studs later on down the road.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank "Bus Daddy" That was jsut the info I was looking for. I wound up putting blue threadlocker on the intake head studs and the Rocker studs! Anti Seize on the Exhaust Studs.
Still need to find:
a short fuel pump push rod or electric fuel pump and block-off,
fan hardware: shims, fan nut & washer,
alternator pulley, nut, shims,
Exhaust port gaskets that fit, stock may be ok not sure?
Carb and mainifold gaskets, Jets and venturi?
Carb linkage, stacks and air cleaners.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Which 3/4 Reach Spark Plugs Do I need? Reply with quote

Next Which Spark Plugs to Use? I ordered the Bosch Super W7DC0 (which is what my 924S uses) thinking they would be a good choice for the L3 heads which have a 14mm 3/4 reach plug hole. But side by side with the 1/2" reach I have been running on my bus, I can tell they may be too hot! What about the W7DC0? Can I get away with running them in this (74mm stroke X 88mm Bore 1800cc type 1, 8.7:1 CR, Webcam 118, Dual 36mm Dellortos) engine?

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized I forgot these little deflector plates on the L3 Heads! Are they even needed? Will they even fit these Chineese 043 Style heads?

L3 Heads #3, #4 Side:

L3 Heads #1, #2 Side:

For Compairson Stock heads:

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Psychedelic Effect Reply with quote

I used some Navy Jelly on my Fan and look what happened!

scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
I just realized I forgot these little deflector plates on the L3 Heads! Are they even needed? Will they even fit these Chineese 043 Style heads?

The deflectors on mine are a loose fit.. your heads look like the deflectors will fit. Don't loose any sleep over how snug they are.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: