Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rubber fuel hose specs
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Intrinsic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: rubber fuel hose specs Reply with quote

I am converting my Fastback from PO installed carbs, back to FI, in part by restoring the original fuel system. In the parts catalogs I see fuel hose in several different ID's.

Could you give me a list of the rubber fuel hose ID's and the total length of each ID that I will require? Also, how many hose clamps will I require?Currently I have 5 correct FI clamps and I know that is not enough.

Should I get cloth wrapped hose, or is contemporary smooth hose equivalent?

Thanks
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: rubber fuel hose specs Reply with quote

Intrinsic wrote:
I am converting my Fastback from PO installed carbs, back to FI, in part by restoring the original fuel system. In the parts catalogs I see fuel hose in several different ID's.

Could you give me a list of the rubber fuel hose ID's and the total length of each ID that I will require? Also, how many hose clamps will I require?Currently I have 5 correct FI clamps and I know that is not enough.

Should I get cloth wrapped hose, or is contemporary smooth hose equivalent?

Thanks

You need aproximately 20 feet of 5/16th standard fuel hose, and 34 FI clamps. I don't have the indiviual lengths, just the total amount used. I normally buy a 25 foot roll when I do it, that way I can make lazy bends and have enough for the injectors (the 2 to 3 inch pieces).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what brand/source of the 5/16 hose is best today?

I used to use a ribbed neoprene hose that I can no longer find anywhare. So I used the standard cloth braid wrapped hose, and it has failed after about 3-4 years (half the life of the old neoprene). So it's time to replace it all again.

What' s/where's best?
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gates barricade should last for many years. I bought a 25 ft roll.
The carburation hose is good for 50PSI working pressure, the FI hose is 255PSI.

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=12468&location_id=5348

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Mark Shutt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cloth braid is ideal for fuel hose as it absorbs any potential fuel drips then evaporates rather then drip fuel all over a hot engine, not that you should have any leaks anyway!!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6007222#6007222
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

I used to use a ribbed neoprene hose that I can no longer find anywhare. So I used the standard cloth braid wrapped hose, and it has failed after about 3-4 years (half the life of the old neoprene). So it's time to replace it all again.

What' s/where's best?

3 to 4 years? I'm seeing 1 year tops. I'm about to re-do mine. Americal everywhere you can't see, and cloth braided everywhere you can see
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Shutt wrote:
cloth braid is ideal for fuel hose as it absorbs any potential fuel drips then evaporates rather then drip fuel all over a hot engine, not that you should have any leaks anyway!!

Problem is, it doesnt hold up with the furel we are getting in the US. It's 10% Ethenal in any big city and it just causes havoc on anything rubber. Fuel pump, rubber lines, old carb gaskets etc
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

What' s/where's best?

I've found Goodyear brand 30R7 to work very well, but finding it lately has been spotty. The "30R7" is an industry standard for hose, and it's various ratings. Gates and all the other American hose manufacturers have to make their hose to a certain standard. The previous standard was 30R6, but according to Supa, it's not really that good for FI applications. The 30R7 is what he's using on his own car, as am I.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Mark Shutt wrote:

Problem is, it doesnt hold up with the furel we are getting in the US. It's 10% Ethenal in any big city and it just causes havoc on anything rubber. Fuel pump, rubber lines, old carb gaskets etc

Yes, this is a very big problem in the USA. Ethanol seems to be the norm in all of the big cities as a way to cut down on air pollution (our state has been using it for over 20 years now). The old German cloth braided hose just doesn't seem to last with "our" fuels. They last on average from 6 months to 1 year before failing. And when used in the engine compartment, 6 months is more the norm. Shocked This is the main reason you see a lot of us recommending the American or SAE hose over the German stuff.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the gates barricade brochure:

Quote:
Today there are more than 40 different EPA-approved fuel blends used in the U.S. – formulations made from sources as diverse as soybeans, coconuts, corn, and used cooking oil. These blends all help the environment by reducing pollution and dependence on fossil fuels, but have a negative effect on automotive and small engine fuel systems. These new fuel blends aggressively degrade general-purpose fuel hose, causing it to deteriorate.

The new barricade hose is marked Multi fuel & bio fuel compatible as well.

Using regular cloth braided fuel hose is just asking for trouble IMHO

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
3 to 4 years? I'm seeing 1 year tops. I'm about to re-do mine. Americal everywhere you can't see, and cloth braided everywhere you can see

I have driven maybe 500 miles in those 3-4 years, and no freezing, so it's very mild conditions. I used to go 5 years of daily driving including heat, washboard roads, dirt, etc.
sharkskinman
Lateral Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i go to FLAPS and just buy regular 5/16 hose
and i havent had a problem in 4 years

you can get the kind that has blue inside that is for newer F.I.
but i have never really needed (afford) it
its EXPENSIVE!!
this is the difference in the clamps
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

im using the right ones
And i know i should be using the left ones

the right nes chew up the hose too much

"34" you say??
that sounds about right
depends if the hoses are still stock clamped AT the injectors

also make sure you have all the parts for the fuel system

like the little disc in the front to help even out the pulse of the pump

you can look thru this
http://classicvw.org/gallery2/v/Fuel-Injection-Manual/fuel+injection+parts+book/

Thank you Russ Crying or Very sad

Me of Course wrote:
Extremity is relative to how far your willing to jump

Ward Cleaver wrote:
You ever try a pink golf ball, Wally? Why, the wind shear alone on a pink golf ball can take the head off a 90-pound midget at over 300 yards

PS4 "NKOGNEATO"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vlad01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly you should be using EFI hose not general purpose hose like some people are say here Wink I seen what happens when general fuel hose is used on EFI.

2ndly they don't make hose like they used to for off the self grade stuff.

I have EFI hose in my car that is 20 years old and seems better quality despite the age than the new hose I put on. I had to replace the hose as it was getting too short from trimming a few times in its life not from any deterioration of any sorts. It has the standard oem clamp not the common worm screw type clamps, so when the hose gets squished too much the standard clap runs out of clamp. so trimming is necessary

its amazing really! 20 years! I still have the hoses I removed in my glove box in case of a road side issue with the new hose.

yeah the good old days of quality Cool
Intrinsic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice everyone. Yesterday I ordered the FI hose and clamps from ISP West.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vlad01 wrote:
Firstly you should be using EFI hose not general purpose hose like some people are say here Wink I seen what happens when general fuel hose is used on EFI.

I have EFI hose in my car that is 20 years old and seems better quality despite the age than the new hose I put on. I had to replace the hose as it was getting too short from trimming a few times in its life not from any deterioration of any sorts. It has the standard oem clamp not the common worm screw type clamps, so when the hose gets squished too much the standard clap runs out of clamp. so trimming is necessary

its amazing really! 20 years! I still have the hoses I removed in my glove box in case of a road side issue with the new hose.

You wouldn't know Goodyear from Gates, Vlad! You haven't turned one wrench on your notchback yet. Exclamation
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sharkskinman
Lateral Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the regular fuel hose will do you fine (manufacturer is your choice)
Our F.I. is only 30lbs +/- 2lbs
the New F.I. hose is for Way more Pressure than ours

Me of Course wrote:
Extremity is relative to how far your willing to jump

Ward Cleaver wrote:
You ever try a pink golf ball, Wally? Why, the wind shear alone on a pink golf ball can take the head off a 90-pound midget at over 300 yards

PS4 "NKOGNEATO"
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need the special FI hose. Our cars see a max of 30 Psi, and they have a burst rate around 120. This has been answered over the years numerous times, and not a single reported failure or leak. Vlad is probably used to modern systems which run CONSIDERABLY higher pressures.

As far as length goes, I usually buy 14 feet -- and that does EVERYTHING with enough left over to use a bit as vacuum hose where it'll fit. 20-25 feet is overkill IMO.
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MOCHABILL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to put a negative spin on this,I've several leaks occur at the ends of the hose,seems as if the hose delaminates and fuel seeps out.This is the Gates brand hose using the proper clamps,frustrating as hell,too tight clamps??

Rolling Eyes

'07 Passat wagon 2.0

'03 Ranger 4door 4.0
vlad01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
vlad01 wrote:

You wouldn't know Goodyear from Gates, Vlad! You haven't turned one wrench on your notchback yet. Exclamation

I know what gates is, I work with their belts on a daily basis.

Yes I have done stuff and testing of new gear on the notch Wink but thats none of your beezz wax.
vlad01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSMskater wrote:
You don't need the special FI hose. Our cars see a max of 30 Psi, and they have a burst rate around 120. This has been answered over the years numerous times, and not a single reported failure or leak. Vlad is probably used to modern systems which run CONSIDERABLY higher pressures.

As far as length goes, I usually buy 14 feet -- and that does EVERYTHING with enough left over to use a bit as vacuum hose where it'll fit. 20-25 feet is overkill IMO.

yes 43 psi, not much higher, but still a general fuel hose on efi regardless of efi specs is big no no!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: