Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Install Fuel Sender 77
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74Pepper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Install Fuel Sender 77 Reply with quote

I yesterday spent three hours trying to reposition my fuel sender. The reason I had to re-install it was because The PO had installed it in such a position that the float was the float would stick on the front side of the tank and the sender was not able to signal the correct amount of fuel in the tank.

Removal of the sender wasn't too bad, but install was a big pain. The O-ring was very new, so it was difficult to get the thing to squish down far enough to screw the sender on. Lubing it up helped, as did having a helper push down on the top of the sender while I tapped it into place using a screwdriver in one of the slots.

Having struggled with this stupid thing for too long, I have some observations from my struggle (but sadly, no pics) to help others get this done effectively:

* The tabs on the sender line up with the slots on the fuel tank opening. One tab is smaller than the others. I scratched an X in that tab to keep track of it as I was installing the sender.

* Facing the tank from the back of the bus, the smallest slot is positioned at 11 o'clock (as if looking at the opening from the top of the tank). You have to fish the float into the hole, then turn the sender until you can drop the tabs down into the slots.

* When you align the tabs in the slots, prior to tightening the sending unit down the float will be laying 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock (the float end of the rod is at 9 o'clock).

* Note, that stupid O-ring doesn't really want to stay in the groove on the tank as you are installing the sending unit - be careful it doesn't drop down into the tank.

* If you tighten the sending unit clockwise, the float rod will end up angled 4 o'clock to 10 o'clock, or 5 o'clock to 11 o'clock if you turn it too far. This makes it so the float can only open so far, because it hits the lower part of the tank at the front, or it makes it so the float can't move if you turn it too far.

* I tightened my sending unit counter-clockwise, and the float ended up at 7 o'clock, which meant the float rod had full range of travel.

* A helper pushing down on the center of the sending unit to crush the o-ring while using a screwdriver in the slots around the outside of the sender to turn it was pretty easy, once I figured out all of the above. I guess I should mention, the previous owner had hacked a hole into the deck to access the sender when he replaced it, which is why I could get a person to help press down on the sender from above. If you doing this from inside the engine compartment through the firewall, I guess you're going to have to have gorilla strength to get the job done.

* Be sure to fill the tank completely and check for leaks around the sender before you close up the hole (or re-install the firewall).

Hope this keeps somebody else from cussing at their bus for three hours. Smile
Per Gary, A.K.A. "Purple dress girl")
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you have an access hole cut for the sender? If so, it's hard for me to understand why it was so hard for you. I guess if the o-ring was too fat you could have tried longer screws at least to get it started.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74Pepper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there was an access hole cut into the deck. The fuel sender for a 77 doesn't screw down with screws - it is "screwed" onto the tank like you would screw the lid on a jar. It was very difficult to get enough downward pressure on the sender while screwing it onto the tank without assistance.
Per Gary, A.K.A. "Purple dress girl")
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, I see. Persistance pays off.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: